Toronto Couture The Condominium | ?m | 42s | Philmor | Graziani + Corazza

You were right Kahlua, there is a dark tint to the glass.

COUTURE-08-11-2011-2.jpg

COUTURE-08-11-2011-1.jpg

What a bizarro design aesthetic. Let's hope it hangs together when completed.

Yeah...it's quite interesting. You really need to go and look at it because the pictures don't really capture it. It's a tri-tone, tri-texture type cladding. The light grey is a metallic, the medium grey is a glassy type of texture that you see a lot of now in kitchen backsplashes, and the dark grey...almost black trimming is very close to what is on X next door. And the actual windows are still to com. Should be nice compliment to the very basic black X next door. Couture figures to have a lot more personality to its look.

Cladding continues to be installed. It is taking shape and I am confident it'll look pretty good once it's all said and done.

couture-11-11-2011-1.jpg

Couture taken from Bloor Street E bridge (above Rosedale Valley Rd). Crystalblu is going to be blocked out from this view (is that a good thing? many would say yes).

couture-11-11-2011-2.jpg

couture-11-11-2011-3.jpg

Last edited:
Those silver panels look so cheap though... and in five or ten years they'll be so much worse. I'm not sure I like them. : /

Crystalblu is going to be blocked out from this view (is that a good thing? many would say yes).

It's early yet, but it looks to me like we're getting another Crystal "Blu" v2.0 here.

All the photos of the cladding have been taken during overcast days. Hopefully the sun will show itself so we can see what it looks like in the light. What will help out Couture will be the black in the middle.

Judging from these images, there is variation in the cladding going on. The cladding reminds me more of James Cooper Mansion than anything else. The gray will help offset the darker tones (of the glass and the black in the middle).

couture-11-11-2011-5.jpg

couture-11-11-2011-6.jpg

This will clearly not be as ugly as Crystal Blu. This colour grey is much nicer than the grey on Blu. The black centre will also help design wise. I'm sure this will be much nicer than the worst coloured building in Toronto, Crystal blu. (Although, the horrible coloured Parade, comes a very close second)

Apologies for a post expressing nothing but negative opinion, but I really loathe this project. Not because it's egregiously bad, but because everything about it seems so deliberately bland, wishy-washy, and non-committal. Like the prime directive was "Play it safe at all costs!!!" To me, that's somehow even worse than putting up something ugly, tacky, or vulgar. At least those qualities make some kind of statement.

The west side of Couture late this afternoon, from above -

Kind of looks like that cladding on that MCC project, parkside.

I agree : Couture is becoming a Coutear

But we should not be so down about this...this is T.O not NYC. So expect more of this..thats the trend here.

I agree : Couture is becoming a Coutear

But we should not be so down about this...this is T.O not NYC. So expect more of this..thats the trend here.

I won't expect such mediocrity (though let's wait a bit longer for the finished product). Toronto has the capabilities to produce and build beautiful architecture. Also, NYC has its share of banality.

Back