Toronto Corktown Common | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Maryann Thompson

Our ravines are really a tremendous asset.
It's true that they are gems, and relatively under-appreciated. It would be great if they had more of a presence in the consciousness of Toronto residents, but I suppose one also doesn't want to overwhelm them with activity.

It's true that they are gems, and relatively under-appreciated. It would be great if they had more of a presence in the consciousness of Toronto residents, but I suppose one also doesn't want to overwhelm them with activity.

The space is a bit disjointed due to multiple infrastructure conflicts, with accessibility issues and not enough to be of interest by the broad general public. The presence will remain limited until we see significant improvements in all three (there are changes, but slow in coming)

AoD

Last edited:
This park is going to be part of the greenway from Tommy Thompson Park (esp. after the work at Lower Don Lands/Port Lands is completed) - wildlife migration is considered from day one.

AoD

Just interested if you know if there's any information available about linking the 2?

Just interested if you know if there's any information available about linking the 2?

From the Don Mouth Naturalization EA - Chpt. 6 Description of Preferred Alternative:

upload_2016-7-19_12-48-13.png

http://www.trca.on.ca/dotAsset/181968.pdf

Also the ongoing Portlands Master Plan - Vision and Structure:

upload_2016-7-19_12-52-11.png

upload_2016-7-19_12-53-1.png

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uploads/documents/2015_11_14_vision_and_structure___reduced_1.pdf

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-19_12-48-13.png
    upload_2016-7-19_12-48-13.png
    253.3 KB · Views: 1,621
  • upload_2016-7-19_12-52-11.png
    upload_2016-7-19_12-52-11.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,706
  • upload_2016-7-19_12-53-1.png
    upload_2016-7-19_12-53-1.png
    238.1 KB · Views: 1,584
The fencing is down...I took a peek last evening. Dry weather is not helping this fledgling parkette...but give it time. Perhaps the mini hills will get further plantings/grass. Also this is begging for some Underpass Park-esque art to enhance this gateway to Corktown Common.

Corktown-1.jpg
Corktown-2.jpg
Corktown-3.jpg
Corktown-4.jpg
Corktown-5.jpg

Attachments

• Corktown-1.jpg
    Corktown-1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,716
  • Corktown-2.jpg
    Corktown-2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,606
  • Corktown-3.jpg
    Corktown-3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,646
  • Corktown-4.jpg
    Corktown-4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,609
  • Corktown-5.jpg
    Corktown-5.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,557
Last edited:
Overall the new underpass path is a little underwhelming. It just ends at Bayview, and if you continue south on Bayview to Corktown Common the crossing of Bayview isn't particularly easy unless you keep going up the hill and use the path across from Lawren Harris Square. Which if that's how you were going to access it you might as well have just stayed on River Street.

We've recently moved to the neighbourhood, and I've been surprised and impressed by the wildlife I've seen in the park. Yesterday we saw a small rabbit, and a couple of days ago I saw what I think was a groundhog (something furry and brown about the size of a loaf of bread, with a furry tail). I'm surprised that such a relatively small park in a fairly disturbed area could support such relatively non-urbanized critters.

Does anyone know if the ponds will be stocked with fish at any point? They don't seem to have any currently. The ponds seem pretty heavily choked with weeds at the moment, and I would imagine they are a good breeding spot for mosquitos.

I think this is all very encouraging, considering the kind of wildlife that exists in more built environments nearby - I've seen deer in a hydro allowance just off the Bayview extension and there are rabbits along the tracks south of the park (as there are on other rail allowances around the city, such north of Dupont). Frogs and/or fish in the ponds would address any mosquito issues and may even attract the herons that can be seen along the Lower Don.

This was reported to West Don lands group last week: "The King/Queen Triangle (KQT) which was seeded in the spring has suffered from the dry summer and much of the grass has not germinated. These areas will be reseeded. All the trees in the KQT will be replaced as well. The KQT may receive some public art since a source of funds has been identified."

Back