IMG_2864.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,377
Yesterday morning from Gould (Cell pic):
2016-04-06 08.50.33.jpg

Attachments

• 2016-04-06 08.50.33.jpg
    2016-04-06 08.50.33.jpg
    751.9 KB · Views: 1,285
I had moderately high hopes for this, based on the irregular shape, the contrast of the dark framing against the whiter eastern sheath, etc. It started off ok, then they had to introduce that dead-grey spandrel. The dark framing has begun as seen above the podium in someMidTowner's photos. It will make a nicer diversion from said spandrel, but framing a grey spandrel wall might be more like putting a frame on an unattractive painting that's more deserving of the attic. Let's hope the overall effect is ok. At least it'll add a little more much-needed vibrancy to this up-and-coming area.

How did spandrel come into fashion? It's so prevalent in our recent buildings -- I don't see it used as much around the world quite like it is here...It's gross and in my eyes akin to cladding the facade of a house in angel brick or vinyl.

It's going to get a lot worse with the new energy code already in effect where a maximum of 40% of the exterior wall can be fenestration. Spandrel panels is a cheap and easy way of introducing solid exterior cladding without the added cost and coordination of another material and trade added on site. This building doesn't look like it will meet this energy code.
Unfortunately almost all of the sleek and glassy renderings you see in condo marketing will be much further from the truth now as a good 60% of the building exterior will turn to spandrel, or some other solid cladding compromise.

That dull putty grey looks so drab and seems to suck the life from anything around it. I would expect the black frame architectural element to protrude from the building a bit. Having it flat with the façade looks cheap and superficial giving it more of a wallpaper quality.

And another one (today):

DSC01265.jpg

16th storey under construction.

Attachments

• DSC01265.jpg
    DSC01265.jpg
    766 KB · Views: 736

Back