Toronto Concord Sky | 299m | 85s | Concord Adex | Kohn Pedersen Fox

From the Nov 20, 2018 section 37 agreement:

8. PARKLAND CONTRIBUTION 8.1 The Owner agrees to transfer and convey to the City the lands municipally known as 357A Yonge Street and 357 ½ Yonge Street (“Parkland”), more particularly to transfer and convey a minimum of 338.5 square metre of said lands, in order to satisfy its park land dedication requirements under section 42 of the Planning Act with respect to the Zoning By-law Amendments to facilitate the Development in accordance with the provisions of this Section 8. If the off-site dedication of 357A Yonge Street and 357 ½ Yonge Street is deemed acceptable by the General Manager, Parks Forestry and Recreation (“PFR”), it is acknowledged that it would satisfy the parkland dedication requirements for the Development.

This is very interesting - it can basically create a quasi mid-block connection to the laneway, which will be refreshed as another aspect of the s37 agreement.

AoD

In all fairness, the design of YSL isn't very appealing. Just wish the design was of better quality. 981 feet vs 1000 feet, there is no noticeable height difference. For example, most people won't be able to tell weather Aura or Scoia Plaza is taller.

Im not going to knock it until I see it built. The fact that there are no balconies is a good thing! With the soaring height, this tower will alter the Yonge St skyline and has potential to look good. Lets just wait and see.

From the Nov 20, 2018 section 37 agreement:

8. PARKLAND CONTRIBUTION 8.1 The Owner agrees to transfer and convey to the City the lands municipally known as 357A Yonge Street and 357 ½ Yonge Street (“Parkland”), more particularly to transfer and convey a minimum of 338.5 square metre of said lands, in order to satisfy its park land dedication requirements under section 42 of the Planning Act with respect to the Zoning By-law Amendments to facilitate the Development in accordance with the provisions of this Section 8. If the off-site dedication of 357A Yonge Street and 357 ½ Yonge Street is deemed acceptable by the General Manager, Parks Forestry and Recreation (“PFR”), it is acknowledged that it would satisfy the parkland dedication requirements for the Development.

1543243270225.png

I believe 357A and 357½ are the two units north of Ali Baba (the Cash Money and former Play De Record store).

1543243722453.png

so basically the remaining parcels on the block are then effectively neutered, with the only real option for a higher and better use of being used to expand the park by the city.

It strikes me as an odd parkland choice in a lot of ways.

so basically the remaining parcels on the block are then effectively neutered, with the only real option for a higher and better use of being used to expand the park by the city.

It strikes me as an odd parkland choice in a lot of ways.

I see @AlvinofDiaspar thinks it may serve well as a connector to a revitalized laneway. Perhaps that justifies it.

But, I must admit if we were aiming for the public square/parkette vibe, I really prefer corners with full exposure to 2 (or more) streets.

Elsewise, I think the lot is simply too small to do anything useful. (going back in time) I would have loved to see the City pour in dollars to acquire the Aura, Gerrard/Bay corner and ROCP sites and create a much grander College Park.

Alternatively, I could see investing in opening up Ryerson's quad to a greater degree, or enlarging Devonian Square.

I also think the Green P site just east of Yonge on Wellesley had real potential.

This, I'm just not sold on.

But I'd be very happy to be proven wrong on this one.

yeah it does loook really good, the only thing bothering me is that 1 m but theres nothing we can do about it so i will just accept it.

I see @AlvinofDiaspar thinks it may serve well as a connector to a revitalized laneway. Perhaps that justifies it.

But, I must admit if we were aiming for the public square/parkette vibe, I really prefer corners with full exposure to 2 (or more) streets.

Elsewise, I think the lot is simply too small to do anything useful. (going back in time) I would have loved to see the City pour in dollars to acquire the Aura, Gerrard/Bay corner and ROCP sites and create a much grander College Park.

Alternatively, I could see investing in opening up Ryerson's quad to a greater degree, or enlarging Devonian Square.

I also think the Green P site just east of Yonge on Wellesley had real potential.

This, I'm just not sold on.

But I'd be very happy to be proven wrong on this one.

Ryerson should just buy 357 and 355A. Creates a new frontage for their new building

Somehow I didn't think that development went so far south; I thought it went as far as the four-storey brick building.

Somehow I didn't think that development went so far south; I thought it went as far as the four-storey brick building.

You're correct. As opposed to an on-site dedicated park space, this is off-site dedicated park space.

Parks changed their focus in downtown just over a year ago from accepting cash-in-lieu. Wherever possible they now want actual park land.

I'm amused at this change just as the City contemplates a billion dollar park (rail deck), but I digress.

I'm not opposed to the change, except that I don't think it should necessarily be applied to get a small, free-standing sliver of a park.

There should be a focus on expansion of nearby parks whereever practical. Of course, by asking the developer to deliver the land, the developer can only go willing buyer/willing seller, unlike the City who could expropriate.

That may lead to what's practical for a developer to acquire, vs what best serves the City's needs.

Back