Toronto Concord Sky | 299m | 85s | Concord Adex | Kohn Pedersen Fox

Yep, good news is whatever should be preserved will stay and the rest of the crap will be gone.

Now I will wait for all the ugly slabs on the other side of Yonge to be replaced, from Edward to Gerrard, everything except one or two is either boring or downright hideous. I mean, I don't hate such small retail, but it should be right on Yonge, more suitable for smaller side streets such as Edward or Elm etc.

Preservation is limited to facades of a couple sound retail buildings. That is what I'd rather see. Larger scaled retail buildings (emphasis on "building"s") up to the height of SLC built on the rest of the crap. This is by Dundas Square afterall. Don't need residential towers anchored by standardized CRUs here and of a design already employed in Downtown Markham and who know where else to come.

Does this mean to new PATH connection to Ryerson & Aura? I sure hope so but sad to lose Remingtons. Toronto only has 1 gay strip club and to lose it, would be a shame because another one will not be opened. When my friends come to visit, they always want to go check out the boys at Remingtons. What major gay destination/city, doesn't have at least 1 gay strip club? Montreal has something like 5 or 6 of them.

There's a strip joint on Church Street, where Bigliardi's used to be just north of Alexander St.
The proposal here looks good, I hope as many facades as possible can be saved, there's at least four good looking buildings along here.

the XTC building looks like it might have some potential below that plaster, but generally I'm happy with them only preserving the two they are keeping already.

Yonge Street is really killing it with development. It's quite an unusually large podium, but I think it fits fine in context to the Ryerson Student Centre. Brand-new, widened sidewalks are definitely something to look forward too, although a couple years of temporary pedestrian walkways- not so much.

Toronto Life has posted an article on the project, with a different render....

kingsett-development-2.jpg

http://www.torontolife.com/informer/toronto-real-estate/2015/05/01/heres-developer-wants-build-yonge-gerrard/

Attachments

• kingsett-development-2.jpg
    kingsett-development-2.jpg
    543 KB · Views: 1,879
This view of the podium also looks really good. Looks a lot more broken up and varied than many podiums we are used to seeing.

When I see these projects I'm thrilled at how urban and imaginative Torontonians are becoming. For a long time there was a conflicted view about Yonge - everyone loved to walk along it, at same time we rejected it as shabby. The fact people would begin to perceive Yonge as 'active' rather than 'noisy' is wonderful. But we need to maintain the chaos, I still want to see more crazy architecture. However, this looks very, very promising. Yonge is rapidly becoming one of the worlds great strolls, but should try to keep its shabby-chic edge.

There has been talk of narrowing Yonge and considering the density that's coming on top of the density already there those sidewalks will have to grow larger.

Hopefully there's a nice Aura-style set back from Yonge with these towers. Last thing we want is ~200m towers with very little setback whatsoever. The potential widening of Yonge should not have an impact on how these buildings should provide a wider sidewalk.

The heritage structures being retained makes that difficult.

As for the Yonge street sidewalk widening, that is apparently supposed to happen next summer.

that last rendering is beautiful - lots of variety at street level, street furniture and trees.

Yonge street would really benefit from more trees when the sidewalks are made wider. In the meantime, i wish they'd add some planters or even hanging baskets to green it up a bit.

I like the Podium, but would have been spectacular if the white Deviders had Brown accent similar to the preserved heritage brick.
But I guess the white will go better with the beige color of the Heritage block on the North side.

Last edited:

Back