Toronto Concord Sky | 299m | 85s | Concord Adex | Kohn Pedersen Fox

Shame, i figure that landlords are paying so much property tax on Yonge street that they can't keep up with them?
gee look around they are all in derelict conditions
They’ve been that way for a long time.

All along Yonge between Dundas and Bloor, the rotating supply of “discount”/counterfeit fashion stores, grey market computer shops and fly by night Asian restaurants has been ongoing since I was a teenager. ~30 years now. Things have actually been improving at both ends of that strip over the past decade, and the middle is just now starting to catch up.

Today.
66A61F7F-F2C4-420D-AC47-9717D667CB82.jpeg
7F8174F0-42B1-41BF-A881-D28CE6087898.jpeg

I'm really pleased that interesting and salvageable facades at 363-365 and 367 Yonge, 381 and 385-391 Yonge Street are saved. Save for the demolished buildings in between 367 and 381 Yonge, it will keep some character along this strip of the YSL development, and along Gerrard St.

I am not an expert in Heritage architecture, and don't need to be in order to find something aesthetic enough to have a photograph with as a tourist or local resident.
There is nothing aesthetic about that beige portion above to deserve preservation over modern innovative architecture. That said, I believe the city of Toronto is just guilty of mowing down several victorian architecture in the past, they are just in a race to preserve anything old as opposed to preserving architectural merits.

"I may not know heritage, but I know what I like." Y'know, maybe it's the problem in our selfie-corroded world that the urban aesthetic barometer is set by something one can shallowly "have a photograph with".

Actually, while I'm not presently party to the heritage studies in question, I've always been intrigued by 367 Yonge because it looked to be a surprisingly sturdy relic of "Georgian Toronto"--kinfolk to a lot of the older rows along King East, or to something like the late great Walnut Hall on Shuter. And yet never really acknowledged until now--given that its retention wasn't part of the original plan, I'm supposing that ERA "discovered" something about its background which attested to its true significance and present-day rarity in terms of Toronto (and kind of affirming my own past empirical observations). And right now that the stucco's being removed to reveal the original yellow brick, one can see *why* it was, in the end, deemed worth retaining.

And the fact that in this thread, it hasn't really registered as anything other than "that other retained façade", sans any story or knowing historical context, really says something about the absolutely, catatonically *abysmal* grasp of Toronto's historical architecture and urbanism shared by too many development-fanboy types in this thread--like you all need to be assigned a refresher course on "Toronto: No Mean City", or something...

Is that three illegal cannabis stores lined up beside each other?
:)
Whoever is manufacturing these concrete blocks must be making a killing these days

I wonder if the wooden trusses exposed in one of the photos submitted by skycandy (above) will be retained.

Back