Toronto Concord Canada House | 231.97m | 74s | Concord Adex | Arcadis

We will find out by April if this is moving ahead I guess. Till then, let's dream big.

I agree..regarding the 2 parcels of land left to build they are almost in a different neighbourhood, Adex could potentially market them in the Library District..Garrison Yards area, which pretty well would have nothing to do with the Front and Spadina, Rogers Centre area, I guess we should just sit back and enjoy the ride.:)

It's really a chance to put an exclamation mark on this whole area. Q1, but even more memorable. Am I setting myself up to be dissapointed???
People in review boards must realize the positive response to Absolute, ....will that make them allow, more daring/ out of the box design? :confused:
With the lake being what most people see the city from, you want the eyes on you,... to out sex Ice won't be easy. I Really think height, will be the ultimate drawing card here, and a chance to to "Go out on a high note." With Ice at 750 ft or so, and the title of tallest residential so near beyond that, and Toronto's seemingly endless growth, ....it seems like something cool and spired is a good idea and would be on my mind were i drawing this tower.:rolleyes:

my god you really must become a writer someday... or perhaps you already are????

Last edited:
You know, come to think of it, with all that is going on in Toronto with condos, it is extremely odd that this one hasn't come forward. What are they waiting for? the end of the boom? Maybe they are focused on some other market, who knows. However it wasn't that long ago that City Place was where it all was happening. Now it's happening everywhere else but. (never mind Quartz - it was an after thought on land they just recently purchased)

If it were my company I'd be kicking some ass to get this on the market. Geez, they could sell this place in a few days right now. Are they waiting for a better condo market???

You know, come to think of it, with all that is going on in Toronto with condos, it is extremely odd that this one hasn't come forward. What are they waiting for? the end of the boom? Maybe they are focused on some other market, who knows. However it wasn't that long ago that City Place was where it all was happening. Now it's happening everywhere else but. (never mind Quartz - it was an after thought on land they just recently purchased)

If it were my company I'd be kicking some ass to get this on the market. Geez, they could sell this place in a few days right now. Are they waiting for a better condo market???

It seems that Concord is moving in staggered phases; starting construction on one before even beginning sales on the next. I could see Signature coming out when shovels hit the ground at Quartz, unless they unfortunately snap up anymore land in the CityPlace area.

It seems that Concord is moving in staggered phases; starting construction on one before even beginning sales on the next. I could see Signature coming out when shovels hit the ground at Quartz, unless they unfortunately snap up anymore land in the CityPlace area.

I dont know about that....i have always heard that the Signature Tower would be Concord Adex final hurrah at CityPlace. As it stands now i dont think there is much more land to buy down there, unless of course they buy back the land of the 44 storey TCHC building that didnt get the green light, so that leaves them with one more building (approved at 38 storeys) to build on the same block as Quartz, and two more buildings (proposed 32-28 storeys) to the west of Quartz, east of Bathurst and south of the Library District Condo. Three more buildings to market and say another 1-1/2 years of sales, cause i predict they will be scooped at an alarming rate...
So most likely no Signature Tower rendering till the summer/fall of 2012.

my guess is they would have to sell block 37 first after block 33, then proceed with the signature tower... unless concord adex gets their hands on block 31, then the signature will be the last project

I dont know about that....i have always heard that the Signature Tower would be Concord Adex final hurrah at CityPlace. As it stands now i dont think there is much more land to buy down there, unless of course they buy back the land of the 44 storey TCHC building that didnt get the green light, so that leaves them with one more building (approved at 38 storeys) to build on the same block as Quartz, and two more buildings (proposed 32-28 storeys) to the west of Quartz, east of Bathurst and south of the Library District Condo. Three more buildings to market and say another 1-1/2 years of sales, cause i predict they will be scooped at an alarming rate...
So most likely no Signature Tower rendering till the summer/fall of 2012.

That was my impression, too. I always thought that it was kind of premature to start discussing the design of the Signature Tower back in the early/middle part of the last decade because it was going to be at least 10 years before the thing even got off the ground. I remember the last design being some giant phallus; it was out of date in the way that Trump is out of date (because it was designed in 2001).

When they bought the land they are developing Quartz on I had thought they might transfer some density to Signature but doesn't seem to be the case. I do hope it's special though.

my guess is they would have to sell block 37 first after block 33, then proceed with the signature tower... unless concord adex gets their hands on block 31, then the signature will be the last project

Yeah Block 31, whats up with that:confused:....just makes me wonder why the neighbours around didnt want this TCHC building to go ahead, was is it the height/shadowing issue that they were really concerned about, or was it the fact that a Toronto housing building was to be built next to them...bet you that if Concord Adex gets this back they will build at the same height or taller without much opposition.
Anyways, lets hope they get this settled so they can get on with the much needed schools, community centre-daycare.

Yeah Block 31, whats up with that:confused:....just makes me wonder why the neighbours around didnt want this TCHC building to go ahead, was is it the height/shadowing issue that they were really concerned about, or was it the fact that a Toronto housing building was to be built next to them...bet you that if Concord Adex gets this back they will build at the same height or taller without much opposition.
Anyways, lets hope they get this settled so they can get on with the much needed schools, community centre-daycare.

It was a combination of people concerned about height/shadowing and the fact that it was a Toronto Housing building. I recently discovered that the sun deck on my buildings podium would have been shadowed had it gone ahead as planned.

The school, community centre and daycare will be going ahead whether or not TCHC decides to build. At the moment, TCHC is starting to change its mind about building at this location, and would rather spend the money fixing up other locations. The only reason why they proposed a tall tower was because it was the only way the project would be financially feasible for TCHC. A private developer would not need that height to profit.

They dont market another project, until once has started construction.
The reason for this is, they purchased the whole project lands at once, then they severed pieces of lands for each tower/phase. They refinance each new parcel everytime they start to market it--by doing this. You can limit the options for buyers in this development and move the equity from one parcel to the next; while they get new construction financing on the phase they currently are building. As of this, banks will not finance land. So they finance these parcels privately around 8-10% interest and only a term of 1-2 years MAX. Its an effective strategy to keep 'rolling' your equity rather than putting more cash into the project.

They dont market another project, until once has started construction.
The reason for this is, they purchased the whole project lands at once, then they severed pieces of lands for each tower/phase. They refinance each new parcel everytime they start to market it--by doing this. You can limit the options for buyers in this development and move the equity from one parcel to the next; while they get new construction financing on the phase they currently are building. As of this, banks will not finance land. So they finance these parcels privately around 8-10% interest and only a term of 1-2 years MAX. Its an effective strategy to keep 'rolling' your equity rather than putting more cash into the project.

Thank you - a very interesting perspsective.

Plus Concord might yet have plans for something at the south-west corner of Spadina and Front...

Back