Toronto Toronto Coach Terminal Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | CreateTO

Helicopter flight paths are a major issue here. Heights are limited to a surprisingly low level from what I remember.

The flight path only looks to affect the parking lot. The entire parking lot is below the flightpath's 162m elevation mark.
UT - Copy.png

Source: Page 14: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2017/pg/bgrd/backgroundfile-106156.pdf Note: red lines added myself to show the area in question.

Didn't know about this I got the point now what a Bummer ! ! Then build 50 storeys below and create a big park on all parcels of land keeping the art deco build for leisure, commercial use etc.

While not designated...........I think some of the Dundas properties are pretty positive contributors to a nice urban fabric.

At the very least, I want to see the facade on this one saved:

View attachment 319849

I think this one also add something of substance:

View attachment 319850

One of my first ever jobs was at the old building on the NW corner of Bay & Dundas. The inside is in pretty rough shape and lacked substantial upkeeping through the decades. The floating rumour around the place was that the owner was holding up on selling the whole building, as they anticipate it to be in play when the Coach Terminal gets redeveloped someday in the future.

One of my first ever jobs was at the old building on the NW corner of Bay & Dundas. The inside is in pretty rough shape and lacked substantial upkeeping through the decades. The floating rumour around the place was that the owner was holding up on selling the whole building, as they anticipate it to be in play when the Coach Terminal gets redeveloped someday in the future.

You're not allowed to write posts making yourself sound old...........it it wasn't in the rules before, it will be soon!

Cause I'm older.............

(mutters under breath......a barely 30-something sounding like he had jobs back-in-the-day......pffft.....he wasn't even born....back-in-the-day.....) LOL

Toronto’s Bay Street bus terminal reaches the end of the line

June 9, 2021

After 90 years, it looks like the Toronto Coach Terminal has just about served its last weary bus passenger.

For almost a century, the grey building near the corner of Bay and Dundas Streets downtown has been Toronto’s hub of intercity bus service, but according to a new report it will cease operations next month and be handed over to the municipal government for potential redevelopment.

The terminal at 610 Bay St. is owned by a subsidiary of the TTC, the Toronto Coach Terminal Inc. (TCTI), which for years has leased it out to private bus operators. A report going to the TCTI board next week says its agreement with a joint venture of Greyhound and Coach Canada will run out on July 7, and the bus companies “will not be occupying the properties after the lease expiration.”

Neither the TTC nor its subsidiary has “any current or future operations plans” for the site, the report states. It recommends the TCTI transfer the Bay Street property, as well as an addition to the bus terminal at nearby 130 Elizabeth St., to the city once the lease expires.

In exchange TCTI will ask for $4.2 million from the city so it can pay down a loan, although the valuation of the property “significantly exceeds this amount,” according to the report.

According to the report, the Greyhound and Coach Canada intend to move their operations to the new Union Station Bus Terminal near Bay and Front Streets. Coach Canada relocated to the new station this week.

----------
A city spokesperson could not immediately say Wednesday what the municipal government intends to do with the terminal building, which sits on prime downtown land.

But in 2019 the city identified the property as underutilized, which makes it a suitable location for new development that would meet municipal objectives like the provision of affordable housing, employment uses, or other community infrastructure.

Under city policy, surplus land is administered by the municipal real estate agency, CreateTO.

Given that the Toronto Coach Terminal is in Little Japan, it could be redeveloped into something for the Japanese community. It could become our equivalent of Shibuya, especially when combined with Dundas Square.

The Japanese community in Toronto is extremely diffuse geographically (I don't think it is centred anywhere near this area of town in any case); the JCCC is up at Wynford Drive and Japan Foundation is up at 2 Bloor East. Shibuya? If only!

AoD

Last edited:
Given that the Toronto Coach Terminal is in Little Japan, it could be redeveloped into something for the Japanese community. It could become our equivalent of Shibuya, especially when combined with Dundas Square.

I don't think so.

This site mostly fronts side streets, it has housing and hospitals nearby.

On top of the need (so far as I'm concerned) to preserve the heritage portion of the terminal building up against Bay Street.

Certainly there is a bit of a 'Little Japan' retail district emerging at the north end of the former China Town (pre-new City Hall).

Given the site area, it's likely some kind of green space will be required........

Perhaps a modest Japanese Garden?

Though, the relationship of said site to the surrounding area might be a challenge, if one was not endeavouring to belittle the concept.

Last edited:
Northland announced that they, too, will be moving into the Union Station Bus Terminal at the end of the month.

I don't think so.

This site mostly front side streets, it has housing and hospitals nearby.

On top of the need (so far as I'm concerned) to preserve the heritage portion of the terminal building up against Bay Street.

Certainly there is a bit a 'Little Japan' retail district emerging at the north end of the former China Town (pre-new City Hall).

Given the site area, it's likely some kind of green space will be required........

Perhaps a modest Japanese Garden?

Though, the relationship of said site to the surrounding area might be a challenge, if one was not endeavouring to belittle the concept.
That's a much better idea than what I have proposed.

It would be great to preserve the terminal's façade for a development and a nearby parking lot could be replaced with a small Japanese tea garden with sakura trees.

Toronto’s Bay Street bus terminal reaches the end of the line

June 9, 2021

Greyhound will only consist of one coach to Buffalo and another one to *NYC to my understanding. So they won't be taking up much bus depot real estate when they make their move to Union/CIBC Square, lol.

*Note: Goodness, I hope that's not a milk run.

I'm curious if any education institutions look into expanding their spaces as part of this future project. The block along Edward Street, between Elizabeth and Chestnut would also be opened up towards redevelopment. I had a friend who years interpreted the Coach Terminal lands in his graduate thesis as having potential for collaborative learning spaces for U of T, Ryerson, and OCADU students.

Back