Toronto CN Tower: Entry Pavilion, Plaza, Renos | ?m | ?s | CLC | Arcadis

After 44 years the CN Tower is still the tallest example of Brutalist architecture in the world !

20201018_124845.jpg

Last edited:

Anita Anand, Minister of Public Services and Procurement and Canada Lands Company Announce a $21 million Investment to the CN Tower

July 23, 2021

The Toronto landmark and Canadian icon reopens its doors to guests

Toronto, Ontario--(Newsfile Corp. - July 23, 2021) - Today, the Honourable Anita Anand, Minister of Public Services and Procurement and Minister responsible for Canada Lands Company, announced a $21 million investment to enhance Canada's national symbol, the CN Tower. Canada Lands Company, a federal Crown corporation, owns and operates the CN Tower.

Canada Lands' investment will modernize the CN Tower's Outdoor Terrace Level, maximizing year-round indoor viewing capacity, extending indoor observation, and providing a new and uninterrupted glass floor. As well, the newly renovated space, 113 storeys above Toronto, will feature state-of-the-art interactive video walls to create opportunities for enhanced engagement and guest experience.

One of the primary goals of the redesigned space, slated to open next summer is improved accessibility. This second phase of the CN Tower's renovation plan builds upon the stunning $16-million Main Observation Level renovation in 2018. The Main Observation Level now features floor-to-ceiling glass "Window Walls," which improve accessibility to provide near seamless and unobstructed panoramic views of Toronto.

Today's announcement accompanies the CN Tower's reopening. After a suspension of operations of more than nine months, the CN Tower is delighted to welcome back guests to its observations level and EdgeWalk. The 360 Restaurant will reopen for dining on July 29.

cnt1.JPG
cnt2.JPG

cnt3.JPG
cnt4.JPG

Anita Anand, Minister of Public Services and Procurement and Canada Lands Company Announce a $21 million Investment to the CN Tower

July 23, 2021

View attachment 337472View attachment 337473
View attachment 337474View attachment 337475

Nice, though the undulating wood soffit look gimmicky, clashes with the lines of the original structure and will be passe easily. Still, good to see them improving the glass floor as well as cleaning up and redesigning the lower observation deck (which is super grungy with those jailbars).

What I do wish is for them to push the envelope a bit - like embedding a transparent LCD overlay atop the window pane that allows for identification of local landmarks.

AoD

Last edited:
Nice, though the undulating wood soffit look gimmicky, clashes with the lines of the original structure and will be passe easily. Still, good to see them improving the glass floor as well as cleaning up and redesigning the lower observation deck (which is super grungy with those jailbars).

AoD
I dunno. I feel like I would be standing under a big mushroom, magically delicious...

Anyone else a bit concerned that they might be fully enclosing the outdoor space? I can't tell from either the renders or the release what the plan is on that front, but "extending indoor observation" gives me cause for worry.

Anyone else a bit concerned that they might be fully enclosing the outdoor space? I can't tell from either the renders or the release what the plan is on that front, but "extending indoor observation" gives me cause for worry.

It looks like they are just glassing in and improving that space. Not overly worried since it is a pretty dreadful experience as is.

AoD

If you look closely it's glass for the first 3/4 of the angled viewing area and the top 1/4 is still netting, meaning it will still technically be open air, even if it is mostly enclosed.

Yeah, I was wondering if that was just a regular mullion near the top, or if it was the edge of the glass.

Back