Toronto CN Tower: Entry Pavilion, Plaza, Renos | ?m | ?s | CLC | Arcadis

Do we actually know for sure that they are considering using some new patterns to light it up?

What kind of effects did they create when you were watching, dt_toronto_geek?

Do we actually know for sure that they are considering using some new patterns to light it up?

What kind of effects did they create when you were watching, dt_toronto_geek?

The tower lights have been off a lot in the past week, a couple of evenings they were off all night and several nights off at around 11pm-ish.
There have been a couple of new standard colour patterns that I haven't seen before except as a moving variation used at the top of the hour. The most notable one that I saw on the 25th & 26th were crazy lights flashing on the base & spire while the lower observation level spins at various speeds from slow to insanely fast, like the mother ship in Close Encounters. It could be for testing or maintenance purposes or it could be new designs being loaded in for future use, I don't know.
The last two nights the pattern has been dark blue with a slow moving animated light blue pattern.

ah i finally saw that you were talking about.the space ship effect i mean. i really don't like it, since it is a bit trippy (for lack of a better word).

Just giving you guys a heads up, there will be something interesting planned for the Olympic Games

I noticed the spinning again when I woke up around 5:15 this morning, it's got to be testing for a new effect - it's too ridiculous to be used regularly.

Looking forward to the Olympic surprise, thanks for the tip-off.

Last night it seemed to be doing some cool new things-- more tasteful, I felt. I can't recall it well enough to describe, however. :(
Made me so proud of the city once again! The smallest little changes like that can be so engaging-- which is why the decision to light the CN Tower up with LED's was one of the most exciting moments for me in regards to this city.

FYI:

Global St Patrick's Day celebrations will take a twist this year with some of the world's most iconic buildings turning green.

Irish Tourism bosses have revealed New York's Empire State Building, the London Eye, the Sydney Opera House and the CN Tower in Toronto will all be seen in a new light on March 17.

Niall Gibbons, Tourism Ireland chief executive, said the colourful ad campaign was a major coup.

FYI:

Global St Patrick's Day celebrations will take a twist this year with some of the world's most iconic buildings turning green.

Irish Tourism bosses have revealed New York's Empire State Building, the London Eye, the Sydney Opera House and the CN Tower in Toronto will all be seen in a new light on March 17.

Niall Gibbons, Tourism Ireland chief executive, said the colourful ad campaign was a major coup.

The CN Tower goes green on St. Patrick's Day, is there a new design now or is this because the Irish Tourism folks have secured so many prominent locations this year?

The CN Tower goes green on St. Patrick's Day, is there a new design now or is this because the Irish Tourism folks have secured so many prominent locations this year?

I think it's because people like to celebrate a holiday that's been modified into an excuse to drink excessive amounts of alcohol.

I emailed the CN Tower in January regarding the lighting of the observation level.

My email: I'm really pleased with the LED lights that have been installed on the tower, however, the main observation deck lighting seems a little lacking and unbalanced. In the past the red ring that wraps around the top of the observation deck was illuminated, as was the slanted roof underneath it. I feel adding LEDs to these sections as well as the other locations shown in the photo attachment below, would really improve the visual beauty of the tower at night. I urge you to please consider this. It would be a subtle, yet rewarding change for everyone. Thank you. (See pic below)

CNTower.jpg

Their response: Thank you for your interest in the LED lighting system on the CN Tower. We all take great pride in this wonderful structure and being able to re light it in 2007 was a tremendous achievement. A key factor in re lighting the CN Tower was the ability to not only light the structure but to also maintain the system quite easily. The biggest detractor from the old system (in your attached photo) was maintenance, the lights you refer to were not easily accessible and also very difficult/costly to maintain.

Seems like a lame excuse to me. Wouldn't it be much harder for them to access the lights above the sky pod compared to the ones that used to illuminate the upper half of the main observation deck?

Last edited:
Winter Olympics to Demo Thought-Controlled Lighting

Apparently the lights are being controlled by the minds of people in Vancouver:

InteraXon’s software translates users’ thoughts to commands that will change the lighting display. For instance, by concentrating, users can make the lights at the CN Tower spin faster or change the brightness of the lights at Niagara Falls.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/02/thought-controlled-lights/

Maybe that explains all the UFO-esque spinning lately.

Was the tower gold last night to celebrate our first gold medal?

It's been gold (orange actually) since Saturday night, it was dark on Friday.

Back