Toronto CN Tower: Entry Pavilion, Plaza, Renos | ?m | ?s | CLC | Arcadis

I don't get the least bit of thrill going on the glass floor. I always hoped they'd put on a less reflective and more transparent glass. Right now, you can clearly tell you're standing on something. It would be cool if it looked like you were simply standing on air... if that makes any sense.

Or, to go whole hog in the other direction with this glass-floor gimmick...
saturday_night_fever_dancefloor.jpg

Fits well w/CN Tower chronology, too.

I'm the same. While I have no problems at all pressing my face up against the elevator glass or the skypod glass, I just can't seem to walk on the glass and nothing pisses me off more than when I finally get the courage to walk on the glass and some kid just starts jumping up and down on the piece i'm standing on.

Yep, that's me as well lol.

I actually don't mind walking on the glass floor until I start to hear the 'creeking' then it sort of freaks me out, of course kids .. or worse, adults ! jumping on the glass does not make me happy either

I can't wait to ride this new elevator. I think I'll go up at night, to get the full experience with the lights. I love the glass floor too, my only complaint is that it's so scuffed up. I wonder if they can/will polish it up a little, I think that's why you get less of a 'standing on air' feeling.

^ good point. Maybe they can uncover another section of the carpet for a socks only glass floor area. Kids (and big kids) could experience "walking on air". To enhance the feeling, they could even close off one of the sections so that you're in relative darkness when standing on the glass. You wouldn't get the reflections of light that damped the experience.

... yah, I'm looking for some cheap thrills...

Btw, I love the dance floor idea!

I definitely think that more can be done to up the experience at the CN Tower. Trizec Hahn didn't take it to its full potential while they owned it. Who did they sell to anyway?

Off the top of my head:

- 1,500ft Drop Zone. Drop down the side of the tower, through ground level and stop in the basement. "Welcome to the CN Tower Gift Shop"
- Flying chain seats above the first "donut" (I'd shit my pants for sure!!)
- Restaurants at ground level with glass atrium ceiling with a view of the tower above
- Grand lawn linked to Roundhouse Park. Think Tour Eiffel.

- 1,500ft Drop Zone. Drop down the side of the tower, through ground level and stop in the basement. "Welcome to the CN Tower Gift Shop"
- Flying chain seats above the first "donut" (I'd shit my pants for sure!!)
- Restaurants at ground level with glass atrium ceiling with a view of the tower above
- Grand lawn linked to Roundhouse Park. Think Tour Eiffel.

- Giant waterslides of various designs (eg. wraps around shaft 8 times; dark tunnel with various turns leading into a giant pool in the Dome)
- a ride that goes over the edge like at the Stratosphere in Vegas

^ good point. Maybe they can uncover another section of the carpet for a socks only glass floor area.

I've seen this mentioned a couple times around here - but never corroborated anywhere else. This isn't true, is it? The floor area of the CN Tower is not all glass, it's just that section.

The glass section is tested frequently, and the top scuff plate of the glass floor is replaced every year. It doesn't strike me as a cost-effective alternative to a solid concrete floor. The Tower wasn't originally constructed with a glass floor on that level (did the technology even exist?) and it seems unlikely that when they were installing the glass floor area in the 90s, they found it more convenient to do the whole level.

The lower portion of the main pod, the radome, is fibreglass (I think it's actually Mylar - that's constantly inflated to retain its shape) so maybe that's where the confusion is coming from?

It's teflon coated fiberglass fabric....metalised polyester (mylar) would not allow any microwaves through it, and would be very shiny ;)

But still inflated to retain it's shape, right? I always found that the most fascinating part. It looks so substantial from the ground - it's strange to think of it as just a fabric donut.

The glass section is tested frequently, and the top scuff plate of the glass floor is replaced every year.

Ah I didn't realize they replaced it. Both times I've been there recently (Feb, and last May) it was very scratched. I guess it scuffs up easily; perhaps a more resistant scuff-plate is the answer.

Ah I didn't realize they replaced it. Both times I've been there recently (Feb, and last May) it was very scratched. I guess it scuffs up easily; perhaps a more resistant scuff-plate is the answer.

Yeah, you'd think. It isn't that reassuring that the glass is so easy to scratch :S

The creepiest part are the actual dimensions of the glass units. They're 2.5" thick, a full inch of which is air :S

If anyone is within view of the CN tower, it appears as if they are finally testing/programming new lighting patterns last night and this evening.

Last edited:
AH! It's nice to meet the photographer of this postcard. I work at the Tower and we sell a ton of these! you should create 8.5 x 11 versions of this. it's absolutely stunning!

Back