Toronto CN Tower: Entry Pavilion, Plaza, Renos | ?m | ?s | CLC | Arcadis

the white lighting? I cant stand that! lol
I'm pretty sure it's on there because of the edge walk but it distracts from the other colourful lighting that only shows up on the surface that it's being directed at.

I think it's more of a goldish yellow color, makes it look royal :)

This is a crappy picture of it on.

untitled-1-jpg.54936

Exactly my point. But there seems to be a few people that want to report it to the historical board and planning department because it alters the original CN tower. They remind me of the architect of Roy Thompson hall complaining about the Toronto symphony changing the interior of the hall so they actually sound good. Sometimes changes to buildings are good.

Roy Thomson Hall is a terrible analogy and not remotely what those on here criticizing the apparent plan here are suggesting.

What I've seen people express on this thread is dissatisfaction with the prospect of the elimination of a very obvious aesthetic feature of the tower. Significantly altering the appearance of a historical building isn't trivial; it's really a core purpose of historical preservation.

By your logic, if consumer demand dictated that the whole thing should be painted neon orange from top to bottom, then that's what should be done, heritage considerations be damned.

Roy Thomson Hall is a terrible analogy and not remotely what those on here criticizing the apparent plan here are suggesting.

What I've seen people express on this thread is dissatisfaction with the prospect of the elimination of a very obvious aesthetic feature of the tower. Significantly altering the appearance of a historical building isn't trivial; it's really a core purpose of historical preservation.

By your logic, if consumer demand dictated that the whole thing should be painted neon orange from top to bottom, then that's what should be done, heritage considerations be damned.
I'm sorry I don't share your opinion that we need to preserve everything with it maybe we should replace all of the elevators in it with the original ones or should we replace all of the original light bulbs too? If the owners of the CN tower want to make improvements to it that will keep it viable for the next years of its life then let them do it. Complaining on a message board isn't going to change anything.

Complaining on a message board will do something. We have the ear of Toronto Planning, and therefore something is in the works now so that procedures change to make sure that the re-skinning of major buildings—which would include what's happening here—would have to be seen by the Urban Design section of Planning, possibly with a trip to the DRP for them. It's ridiculous that while a building can be examined when it's being designed, it can effectively be redesigned without and examination. Planning realizes that the current system needs one more check added to it. No idea how long it will take for them to get a new procedure in place.

Complaining on a message board will do something. We have the ear of Toronto Planning, and therefore something is in the works now so that procedures change to make sure that the re-skinning of major buildings—which would include what's happening here—would have to be seen by the Urban Design section of Planning, possibly with a trip to the DRP for them. It's ridiculous that while a building can be examined when it's being designed, it can effectively be redesigned without and examination. Planning realizes that the current system needs one more check added to it. No idea how long it will take for them to get a new procedure in place.

Sorry I don't believe that they do read everything on it an I think most of the complaints on this thread are nonsense. We just need to give it a rest and let them make the changes to the tower.

Toronto Planning does not read every single post, no, but then neither do you apparently. I've written in this thread already that I contacted Toronto Planning about the work here, (just like I did when the Simpson Tower began its reskinning). Planning knew about neither project. When they heard about the Simpson Tower reskinning they realized that there's a gap in their ability to protect architecture in this city, and they are now making plans to fix that situation.

We certainly will not just give this a rest.

Toronto Planning does not read every single post, no, but then neither do you apparently. I've written in this thread already that I contacted Toronto Planning about the work here, (just like I did when the Simpson Tower began its reskinning). Planning knew about neither project. When they heard about the Simpson Tower reskinning they realized that there's a gap in their ability to protect architecture in this city, and they are now making plans to fix that situation.

We certainly will not just give this a rest.

That my point I think it is ridiculous complaining about something like this to them how many people do you think relly care what the exterior cladding on the CN tower looks like? I know if I was up there enjoying the view I would rather have a full length window then one that is broke up with a section that "has to be there because it's original to the tower". If they could have put in full length glass back then then we wouldn't be discussing this.

I think a lot of people care, more than just people who read UrbanToronto. It's the most visible and photographed building in the city, and if they mess this up, then it will spoil thousands of photographs and millions of views.

I don't think that any of us are saying that they cannot do this. What we are saying is that they should not be able to do this without having their plans looked at from an architectural viewpoint. Right now, the Building Department is just making sure that the new windows won't fall out when someone leans against them. That's not enough for the landmark that defines this city in countless images, or really for any major building. Aesthetic considerations matter.

I think a lot of people care, more than just people who read UrbanToronto. It's the most visible and photographed building in the city, and if they mess this up, then it will spoil thousands of photographs and millions of views.

I relly don't think what they are doing is going to ruin someones pictures of the city, that is the most ridiculous argument you have made.

I don't think that any of us are saying that they cannot do this. What we are saying is that they should not be able to do this without having their plans looked at from an architectural viewpoint. Right now, the Building Department is just making sure that the new windows won't fall out when someone leans against them. That's not enough for the landmark that defines this city in countless images, or really for any major building. Aesthetic considerations matter.

I'm sorry I don't think it will change the aesthetic of the tower at all. I'm just voicing my opinion on this and am constantly being told i'm wrong because I don't agree with the others on this from that seem to think that the CN tower will be ruined forever because they are making some minor changes to help improve the enjoyment of the tourists that go to it.

I relly don't think what they are doing is going to ruin someones pictures of the city, that is the most ridiculous argument you have made.

I'm sorry I don't think it will change the aesthetic of the tower at all. I'm just voicing my opinion on this and am constantly being told i'm wrong because I don't agree with the others on this from that seem to think that the CN tower will be ruined forever because they are making some minor changes to help improve the enjoyment of the tourists that go to it.
1) You don't think that two 12-metre-long sections of floor-to-ceiling glass cut into the tower is going to change the look at all? That those sections won't look strange when compared to the rest of that floor? To me, it sounds like it will end up looking gap-toothed. That, therefore, is not something ridiculous to raise concerns over.

2) You are allowed to voice your opinion, and other members are allowed to disagree with it, and to state why.

3) The complaints do not have have to do with impeding the enjoyment of visitors; you don't seem to understand that. The complaints have to do with no-one getting a look at the plans to see if they might look crappy, because if they do, then a solution can be worked out to make sure that it looks okay in the end. That solution could conceivably allow floor-to-ceiling windows still, but one would hope in a way that doesn't threaten to leave the building looking gap-toothed.

1) You don't think that two 12-metre-long sections of floor-to-ceiling glass cut into the tower is going to change the look at all? That those sections won't look strange when compared to the rest of that floor? To me, it sounds like it will end up looking gap-toothed. That, therefore, is not something ridiculous to raise concerns over.

Do we know it's only the one section or are they going to do the entire ring like that? If they aren't doing the whole ring than it;s pretty stupid if you ask me

3) The complaints do not have have to do with impeding the enjoyment of visitors; you don't seem to understand that. The complaints have to do with no-one getting a look at the plans to see if they might look crappy, because if they do, then a solution can be worked out to make sure that it looks okay in the end. That solution could conceivably allow floor-to-ceiling windows still, but one would hope in a way that doesn't threaten to leave the building looking gap-toothed.

There are lots of plans for thing in the city that I as a person that lives her would love to be able to look over and say I hare it but sadly we don't always get the chance to do so or the companies building the things don't relly care what the public thinks as the design they have chosen id the best one and therefore will be built.

There is nothing wrong with updating the CN Tower - as long as it is done well and with consideration for the original design. Take for example, historic houses where the windows are replaced with newer high-end windows. You can easily tell that the windows are new, but it also does not impair the historic look & feel of the house as long as you choose the right windows. Imo, the CN Tower is similar. You would not want to destroy the original lines, and I don't think the current project does that.

There is nothing wrong with updating the CN Tower - as long as it is done well and with consideration for the original design. Take for example, historic houses where the windows are replaced with newer high-end windows. You can easily tell that the windows are new, but it also does not impair the historic look & feel of the house as long as you choose the right windows. Imo, the CN Tower is similar. You would not want to destroy the original lines, and I don't think the current project does that.
That's exactly what I'm trying to say as well.

Do we know it's only the one section or are they going to do the entire ring like that? If they aren't doing the whole ring than it;s pretty stupid if you ask me
In the very line above that I wrote "two 12-metre-long sections", not one… and no, by extension, not the entire ring.

I think if hey're going to redo the tower, they need to develop an overarching master plan rather than doing things piecemeal.

Otherwise you end up with a death from a thousand cuts, which is what happened to the Eaton Centre.

Back