News   Jul 24, 2024
 429     1 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 961     1 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 608     0 

Toronto CMA Population Change Since 1971

Any professor who offers 1981 numbers like that has got some serious credibility problems.

It's not necessarily gentrification. The old City of York has been losing population as well, and there are few areas within it that could be claimed "gentrified". It's shifting demographics as much as anything eslse. Household sizes are slowly dropping as kids move out into condos downtown (boosting the population of downtown tracts where new buildings are being constructed), while empty nesters don't downsize right away. Young families tend to go to 905 so there is little turnover to replace these former family households.

The apartment cluster around St Clair W station, basically that little nub of the old City of York that runs between Bathurst and Spadina north of St Clai to Bantry, dropped from 2200 to 1700 residents between 2001 and 2006. Go figure that one out.

Last edited:
The apartment cluster around St Clair W station, basically that little nub of the old City of York that runs between Bathurst and Spadina north of St Clai to Bantry, dropped from 2200 to 1700 residents between 2001 and 2006. Go figure that one out.

Deaths, divorces, extended immigrant families of 5 moving to Markham and being replaced by extended immigrant families of 4, people leaving rentals and moving into condos (and who's replacing them?), etc., etc.

Plus, maybe, those two Peter Dickinson towers being vacated for demolition.

Etobicoke: 163,202
North York: 433,471
Scarborough: 765,602

1991:
Etobicoke: 328,718
North York: 589,653
Scarborough: 558,960

According to an almanac that I have, Scarborough's population in 1981 was 443,353. I think your proffesor needs to check their data.

My geography prof did a presentation about the change in the city since the 1970s, also critiquing a report out of the University of Toronto.

http://www.yorku.ca/anderson/geog1410 fw10-11/three cities_files/frame.htm

Also worth pointing out that the GTA only made up a small percentage of Toronto's population, while not about half of Toronto's residents now live there.

Last edited:
Okay. The 905 only made up a small proportion of the GTA's population compared to the present.

According to an almanac that I have, Scarborough's population in 1981 was 443,353. I think your proffesor needs to check their data.

And North York would have had about 550,000 and Etobicoke 300,000, give or take.

Eric, why did you conclude that the city poupulation will be keeping at a constant value over the near future?
I would strongly advise you to take a look at the city's New Official Plan (2007)
http://www.toronto.ca/planning/official_plan/introduction.htm
Intensification means adding more density to the already built up areas, and it necessarily increases the population per km.
Please realise the fact that the new planning ordiances and building regulations are making low density housing extremely difficult to be approved by the planning department, most new development in the city will be directed to the city core in the form of condo/apartment buidlings. I think it is necessarily to mention this point in your study of recent population change.
Your mentioned gentrification in you paper, but I'm not sure how well you understand this term. As it has been said, gentrification is not resulted from any urban policies, but a phenomena. It invovles the dispacement of low-income groups that depend on low ground rents. Contemporary literature on this issue has predominately focused on neigbhourhood transformation and housing. But I'm not sure the effect of gentrfication to population change, it is just about a group of people moving in and out.
It hope it helps.

Last edited:

Back