Toronto Clear Spirit | 131.36m | 40s | Cityscape | a—A

How silly, locating Artemide in a space bathed in natural light. It's difficult to judge how most of their range work in a darkened room.

How silly, locating Artemide in a space bathed in natural light. It's difficult to judge how most of their range work in a darkened room.

I've always assumed that people who bought at Artemide did so for the fashionable look of the lighting, and not because it always lit anything particularly well.

I've always assumed that people who bought at Artemide did so for the fashionable look of the lighting, and not because it always lit anything particularly well.

You beat me to it. I'm sure the fixtures' aesthetics are far more important than their functionality.

On the topic of the gas pipes, presumably there'll be plantings and a garden of sorts that will grow over them during the summer. That'd be a logical thing to do, anyway.

No sensible person buys lighting without seeing how it illuminates space. That would be like buying a teapot without checking to see if it pours without dripping. Good design is about practical functionality as well as prettiness. Though looking for a lamp to buy, I left Artemide as soom as I saw the situation there.

I left after being shown a pretty light for $2,500. With that price I couldn't care less if it was efficient or not.

Yes, it was a beautiful design.

No sensible person buys lighting without seeing how it illuminates space. That would be like buying a teapot without checking to see if it pours without dripping. Good design is about practical functionality as well as prettiness. Though looking for a lamp to buy, I left Artemide as soom as I saw the situation there.

Yes, however for one to truly see how it will illuminate a space, they'll need to see the fixture on its own in an otherwise unlit room anyway. Most lighting showrooms I've been in have enough ambient light from other fixtures, as well as the store's own lighting, counteracting any particular fixture's lighting. In this case, perhaps it was silly to locate a lighting store in such a naturally illuminated space. However most people buying here have a general idea of how light works, and will be primarily focusing on design aesthetics.

Agreed, alklay. Low budgets don't prevent excellence any more than throwing money at something will guarantee it - restrictions on budgets and materials can shift the focus to innovation. Cheap but well designed housewares can be bought at Wal-Mart and overpriced junk avoided at high-end stores.

They have an enclosed room in the store with 4 walls with more lighting samples. You could ask to test lights in there.

Yes, I noted that little space, so perhaps it gets them off the hook. Understanding how people shop and make decisions is part of the design process - I remember reading an article some years ago pointing out that the basic problem with the old Marks & Spencer stores in Toronto was that the British didn't understand the local market and wouldn't install fitting rooms. Canadians are used to trying on clothes before they buy them. It was only when one of the store managers succeeded in getting changing rooms put in, apparently, that M&S began to make a profit - at that one location.

Back