Toronto CityPlace: Canoe Landing Community Centre & Schools | 15.85m | 3s | City of Toronto | ZAS Architects

Jan 18
More up on site
46817603021_2de6fe3c21_b.jpg

46817606861_7b386e6af7_b.jpg

46817607301_a5d900ff13_b.jpg

39852326443_82f16b11c4_b.jpg

46817607991_4de022868b_b.jpg

46817608761_c7eac31a65_b.jpg

39852328243_d6c99a6116_b.jpg

39852329153_d94859f10f_b.jpg

45902666135_3ea063fc30_b.jpg

39852330693_7e780d8a93_b.jpg

46817611961_de387385ba_b.jpg

39852332593_e8846d2593_b.jpg

46817613961_e6bd99c4f2_b.jpg

31876183207_070ea4d0cc_b.jpg

46092565514_bd2ec33b29_b.jpg

46092567184_e313cbfc24_b.jpg

It just occurred to me that this will be the closest community centre to where I live at King and Spadina. I gave up going to Trinity Bellwood’s indoor pool because it was too easy to be lazy to bike all the way there but this will just be a walk away. Will this complex include a community centre pool?

It just occurred to me that this will be the closest community centre to where I live at King and Spadina. I gave up going to Trinity Bellwood’s indoor pool because it was too easy to be lazy to bike all the way there but this will just be a walk away. Will this complex include a community centre pool?

I dont think so. IIRC, a pool wasn't a priority during the community consultation since nearly ever condo in the area already had a pool. It will have a community kitchen, basketball courts, indoor playgorund, and a full size gym though.

I dont think so. IIRC, a pool wasn't a priority during the community consultation since nearly ever condo in the area already had a pool. It will have a community kitchen, basketball courts, indoor playgorund, and a full size gym though.

Thanks for the info. That really sucks. There are a lot of older and smaller buildings in the area without pools.

I was prescribed twice a week swimming by my doctor for back pains and I can't find a public indoor pool nearby. At this point, I'm starting to think that I'll have to buy a fob from someone with a pool in their building or a CityPlace resident with access to the amenities building at HVE. Anyone that can help, please send me a message.

Thanks for the info. That really sucks. There are a lot of older and smaller buildings in the area without pools.

I was prescribed twice a week swimming by my doctor for back pains and I can't find a public indoor pool nearby. At this point, I'm starting to think that I'll have to buy a fob from someone with a pool in their building or a CityPlace resident with access to the amenities building at HVE. Anyone that can help, please send me a message.

The Harrison Pool is your closest public pool. Close to the same distance from King and Spadina as Canoe Landing will be.

Summary Notice and Notice of Intended Procurement
ecblank.gif
Call number:9119-19-7055
Commodity Professional Services, Real Estate Services
Description:
Property Management Services for a Multi-Use Facility for Canoe Landing Community Recreation Centre / Bishop Macdonell C
For: Property Management Services for a Multi-Use Facility for Canoe Landing Community Recreation Centre / Bishop Macdonell Catholic Elementary School/ Jean Lumb Public School, and Canoe Landing Child Care CentreIssue date:January 23, 2019
ecblank.gif
Closing date:March 4, 2019
at 12:00 NoonNotes:
Attachments
pdf.gif
9119-19-7055 Notice of Intended Procurement.pdf (79 Kbytes) - Posted on 01/23/2019 01:41:56 PM
pdf.gif
9119-19-7055 Summary of Notice of Intended Procurement.pdf (73 Kbytes) - Posted on 01/23/2019 01:42:38 PM

Scope of work:
The City of Toronto is soliciting proposals for the services of one (1) Property Management firm whom will designate a highly qualified Property Manager to provide full time on-site services to administer and manage all the services required to efficiently operate Canoe Landing Recreation Centre and Schools for a term of five (5) years from date of award. The Facility is currently under construction and is located at 20 Brunel Court, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

The successful Vendor shall secure and oversee the administrative services, inclusive of any resulting third party contracts for delivery of goods/services, according to City requirements. More details to follow on release of RFP.

Last edited by a moderator:

There definitely is no pool.

While @Tuscani01 is entirely correct on the priorities of the immediate community this has turned out to be a very shortsighted omission.

PF&R is now looking to build a pool nearby, because of residents in adjacent areas lacking them.

The pool may end up as a stand-alone facility, because there are community centres otherwise in place.

It would have been more cost efficient, both capitally and operationally to include a pool at this location.

An extra stand-alone site will mean no less than $5,000,000 extra, more likely something closer to $15,000,000 (assuming the City does not need to buy the land).

The extra operational costs will be six figures.

The harrison pool is really small though - but the lap swim times are great since it doesn't have swimming lessons.

In the same vein as my above post.........there was a real missed opportunity with the former Otis Elevator building on McCaul........

Harrison and University Settlement should have rebuilt as a new, consolidated facility, using that site.

The adjacent roadway then could also have been partially used, with the balance extending Grange Park out to McCaul in a more visible way.

The City has real difficulty getting out in front of opportunity rather than being reactive.

Last edited:
The Harrison Pool is your closest public pool. Close to the same distance from King and Spadina as Canoe Landing will be.

Thank you. It really is a tiny pool. Also unfortunate that it only opens at noon. I’m looking for a place where I can swim at every morning a few times a week. Buying a fob from a condo owner nearby seems like the best option right now.

While researching this, I also came across the new one at Regent Park. It’s pretty amazing. I really wish they had had then forethought and built a public pool like it at CityPlace.

Last edited:
From PFR Budget notes. page 48 https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2019/bu/bgrd/backgroundfile-124026.pdf

Project Status • The construction tender was awarded to the Atlas Corporation/Buttcon Limited Joint Venture on May 29, 2017. Construction commenced on July 5, 2017. • The construction of the project is approximately 55% complete. There is an estimated 6 week delay to the schedule. Turnover is proposed to be phased, with partial occupancy for the schools only in early August 2019 and full turnover by November 2019. • A RFP for a Property Manager for the entire site is scheduled to be released early February 2019. 2019 Plan • The roofs of both buildings (north & south building) are fully tarped and are scheduled to be water tight by mid-February; allowing work to proceed efficiently, unimpeded by weather. • The contractor has arranged for additional labour, as well as working extended hours during the week and on weekends. • Toronto Hydro will be energizing the site on January 25th, 2019. • Detailed design of the community centre Indoor Playspace by the Ontario Science Centre is underway. • Preparation of the furniture tender for the community centre has commenced. Key Project Challenges • The Canoe Landing community centre, 2 elementary schools and child care centre project is primarily funded by development levies, which has a five year window for construction to be completed. • The project schedule is tight. The project team is exploring options to mitigate this issue, such as adding additional labour. • City Labour Union contracts expire April 2019, which has the potential to significantly impact the project budget and schedule.

Back