Toronto CityPlace: Canoe Landing Community Centre & Schools | 15.85m | 3s | City of Toronto | ZAS Architects

Pics taken Nov 22, 2017

sTyHVOy.jpg

kwG1af4.jpg

QIsCOvU.jpg

ybxv7v0.jpg

I am quite impressed with the pace and progress of the development. I see the construction work everyday and it appears to be very efficient and smooth.
Has anyone seen more details or updates about the programs / content of these schools? As parents of 2 children that may attend the public school (as they currently do at nearby schools), I am curious as to why there will be a Catholic school of equal size. I have heard that this might also support French immersion in order to boost attendance. As someone who doesn't want to put their kids in either Catholic or French immersion, I am concerned that the public school (Jean Lumb) will be considered as or eventually become the 2nd tier school. I would like to see a gifted or IB program at Jean Lumb to ensure that this is a quality public school that will draw a diverse mix of students (and families).

I am quite impressed with the pace and progress of the development. I see the construction work everyday and it appears to be very efficient and smooth.
Has anyone seen more details or updates about the programs / content of these schools? As parents of 2 children that may attend the public school (as they currently do at nearby schools), I am curious as to why there will be a Catholic school of equal size. I have heard that this might also support French immersion in order to boost attendance. As someone who doesn't want to put their kids in either Catholic or French immersion, I am concerned that the public school (Jean Lumb) will be considered as or eventually become the 2nd tier school. I would like to see a gifted or IB program at Jean Lumb to ensure that this is a quality public school that will draw a diverse mix of students (and families).
If I were you I would contact my TDSB Trustee - I think Ausma Malik - and find out what they are planning.

http://www.joecressy.com/new_city_o...r_activation_at_new_downtown_community_centre

TORONTO – Councillor Joe Cressy (Ward 20, Trinity-Spadina) announced today that the City has partnered with the Ontario Science Centre to create an indoor playground at the brand new Canoe Landing Community Recreation Centre in CityPlace, currently under construction.

Under the new partnership, the Science Centre will design and fabricate the indoor play structure inside Canoe Landing Community Centre, and will be the second indoor play space operated by the City, the first being Playground Paradise at the Flemingdon Community Centre. While many Torontonians will know the Ontario Science Centre as a destination for school trips and weekend outings, their work in designing educational play experiences is less well known. For the past 30 years, the Ontario Science Centre has been consulting, and designing and building experiences, for science centres, children’s museums and other institutions around the world.

"For too long, our downtown neighbourhoods have not had access to the services and facilities we all need to make our neighbourhoods liveable," said Councillor Cressy. "Our partnership with the Science Centre, as part of the new public amenities on the way in CityPlace, will create space in Canoe Landing Community Recreation Centre for children and families that is engaging, dynamic and accessible for everyone in the neighbourhood."

Haven't seen this view before

https://twitter.com/ZASArchitects/status/993829713482313728

1.JPG

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    245.4 KB · Views: 931
Something I’m not happy with... the entire turf field, and open space directly adjacent to the schools is being permanently fenced off from the rest of Canoe Landing Park. The schools will have exclusive use of these spaces during school hours.

You will have to cross around the turf field to get through the park once this is up.

Something I’m not happy with... the entire turf field, and open space directly adjacent to the schools is being permanently fenced off from the rest of Canoe Landing Park. The schools will have exclusive use of these spaces during school hours.

You will have to cross around the turf field to get through the park once this is up.

Hmm? i can see why, maybe they don't people walking or using it while an event is ongoing
the city rents those fields out...................https://www.xtsc.ca/page/canoe_landing

Why wouldn't the school grounds be exclusive to the school? Especially during school hours. The last thing the school would need is people walking their dogs while the school tries to conduct gym class.

I don't understand - is he talking about the current turf field and grass area being blocked off during school hours? If so - I can understand the unhappiness

BbJ9KjE.jpg

How can / why did the city agree to that?

Back