Toronto CityPlace: Canoe Landing Community Centre & Schools | 15.85m | 3s | City of Toronto | ZAS Architects

Somebody gonna build tall here.:)

Throwing school money down a hole

Close to 20 years ago, Canadian National Railways transferred Block 31, as the crater is known, to the City of Toronto. The developer of CityPlace, Concord Adex, signed deals in 1994 to levy development charges to build, on this site, schools for the Toronto District School Board and the Toronto Catholic School Board, plus a community centre and daycare.

In 2007, Catholic trustee Catherine Leblanc Miller and TDSB trustee Chris Bolton told the National Post they wanted the schools hurried up. "I'm anxious to move ahead," Ms. Leblanc-Miller said.

Developers have almost completed collecting $38.5-million in charges to pay for the schools.

Where the heck are the schools?

In 2005, Toronto turned Block 31 over to Toronto Community Housing, asking it to build the schools, a community centre, a daycare and affordable housing here. TCHC suggested a 43-storey subsidized-housing tower. The neighbours hated this. Plus TCHC can't afford it. So, in a report coming to the city's Executive Committee on Monday, TCH is giving Block 31 back to Toronto.

More....http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/columnists/Throwing+school+money+down+hole/5480459/story.html

Last edited:
Somebody gonna build tall here.:)

Throwing school money down a hole

.... So, in a report coming to the city's Executive Committee on Monday, TCH is giving Block 31 back to Toronto.

More....http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/columnists/Throwing+school+money+down+hole/5480459/story.html

Report referenced

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2011/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-41195.pdf

August 25, 2011 Report from the Affordable Housing Office

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2011/ah/bgrd/backgroundfile-40343.pdf

These reports also include Block 18AB that is located just south of the SkyDome at the southwest corner of Bremner and Rees. Currently it's a ramp leading to underground parking for the SkyDome.

Last edited:
Thanks marcus for that report...
Interesting info on Block-18AB..Can they really propose to build there and block the Rogers Centre from the lake.:confused:

Block 18AB is a small site south of
the Rogers Centre which is currently generating revenue for the City from commercial
signage.

TCHC has advised that it cannot proceed with the development of Block 31 and Block
18AB and the Offer to Purchase agreements for these properties; consequently it is
appropriate to exchange mutual releases from the agreements

They are now looking for an architect. See: Tender call:
https://wx.toronto.ca/inter/pmmd/calls.nsf/0/F6AFCD3588CF2B3F85257C45006DA200/$file/9118-13-7218%20Viewing%20Copy.pdf

They are now looking for an architect. See: Tender call:
https://wx.toronto.ca/inter/pmmd/calls.nsf/0/F6AFCD3588CF2B3F85257C45006DA200/$file/9118-13-7218%20Viewing%20Copy.pdf

Thanks for the info. Deadline for submissions is end of January, and selection begins in early February.

From the RFP

61T69ha.jpg

No towers here?

From the RFP
No towers here?

With a max budget of $60 million for design AND construction, I can't see anything tall being built unless they go with popsicle stick and white glue construction.

The thread title has been modified to reflect the elimination of the TCHC tower plans for the site.

This would be an excellent site for container-style housing + container-style school. Recall those cool portables we used to have classes in the 1980s? Yeah, like that only bolder better badder. The housing could be flexible--as the area turns into rentals the nimbyism will pass and they can be stacked a mile high.:D Maybe NimbyTect can volunteer to design the project for free in exchange for a portable teacher? ;)

I'm glad it's low rise, actually - I think the near doubling of open space at the centre of Cityplace that will result is a good thing. I think it's dense enough as it stands, and the freestanding array of towers along Bremner (viewed from the lake or Gardiner) looks great. The existing open space of above the park and pit looks grand (better if the pit were landscaped), and adds to the whole group of buildings. Certainly everyone facing south in those towers will be glad for as unobstructed view as they can get.

I've said this before, but I really hope that the new school and community centre is bent-roofed and worked so that it can function as a continuation of the park landscape - much like Vancouver's Convention Centre, The Nanyang School of Art, or somewhat like the Prefectural International Hall in Japan. It would be a positive contribution to the landscape, as well as able to be used as the school playground, itself.

nanying_zps85e86350.jpg

fukuokaprefecturalhall_zps532d883c.jpg

VCC-05_zpsf2046ab0.jpg

vcc_zpsb01ba0fc.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad it's low rise, actually - I think the near doubling of open space at the centre of Cityplace that will result is a good thing. I think it's dense enough as it stands, and the freestanding array of towers along Bremner (viewed from the lake or Gardiner) looks great. The existing open space of above the park and pit looks grand (better if the pit were landscaped), and adds to the whole group of buildings. Certainly everyone facing south in those towers will be glad for as unobstructed view as they can get.

I've said this before, but I really hope that the new school and community centre is bent-roofed and worked so that it can function as a continuation of the park landscape - much like Vancouver's Convention Centre, The Nanyang School of Art, or somewhat like the Prefectural International Hall in Japan. It would be a positive contribution to the landscape, as well as able to be used as the school playground, itself.

I'm not sure about a bent roof but a green roof which is accessible would be nice. The children can learn to grow plants or food on top. It could be a good learning experience for the children. It could even have a community garden that people can grow things there or an area where people can rest and have lunch or something. Maybe they can even have a roof top cafe. Possibly maybe even set up an arts exhibition or something temporary in the summer. Maybe even a summer outdoor theatre?

Last edited:

Back