Toronto Cielo Condos | 120.35m | 34s | Collecdev-Markee | KPMB

So, I'll use that as a jumping off point to share some more details communicated at the meeting:
Oh, and the NIMBYs were predictably out in full force; the words "destruction" and "rape" were used, and one old hag said the church should fend for itself rather than "desecrating the Queen Anne-style community" and asserting that "we don't need more community space because there are plenty of spaces for people to rent."

There is no charm like Annex charm. If the choice is between real desecration of a historic building over perceived desecration of "Queen Anne style community", let the pillaging begin!

AoD

Part of the charm of that section is its low-rise nature -- redevelopment in this area would have to be very carefully done so as to not radically change the character of the area.

The massive redevelopment at Honest Ed's will radically change the character of the area. I think if developers go after the Walmer-Bathurst stretch there will be a ton of community pushback.

The massive redevelopment at Honest Ed's will radically change the character of the area. I think if developers go after the Walmer-Bathurst stretch there will be a ton of community pushback.

Not to mention the ask for 47 storeys and 160m at Bloor and Dufferin...

I tend to agree. That said, this is not the Walmer to Bathurst stretch, and I think east of Walmer along Bloor should be more of an anything goes policy (within reason).

If the choice is between real desecration of a historic building over perceived desecration of "Queen Anne style community", let the pillaging begin!
AoD

A "Queen Anne style community"? I think I saw that episode

IMG_2127.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2127.JPG
    IMG_2127.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 935
Yeah, it's never going to be approved at the height that they're asking for… but some people are going to be shadowed, whatever height it does end up at.

Yeah, it's never going to be approved at the height that they're asking for… but some people are going to be shadowed, whatever height it does end up at.

Though they should just approve it at the requested height if it meant the BSUC will be properly restored/preserved.

AoD

It's funny, despite the neighbourhood raping discussion at the last consultation, shadowing only came up once, IIRC, and it was one of the less impassioned battle cries.

Funny enough, because of the mixed-use and CR designations for the land to the north, shadowing is almost a non-issue here. As long as it doesn't touch the Neighbourhoods north of that, there's little those to the immediate north can do.

With regard to height, it's going to be more than 29 storeys and fewer than 38. Somewhere in the middle, I'd assume.

Though they should just approve it at the requested height if it meant the BSUC will be properly restored/preserved.

AoD
You're kidding, right? Planning approvals should be handed out for whatever ask as long as the developer says that this is what they need to fix the joint up? I think it will be closer to 29, and that the church better figure out how to afford their renovations* from less GFA.

*With all the changes planned to the church, it's hard to call them restorations.

Back