Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Taken 30 June.

IMG_4517.jpeg

IMG_4518.jpeg

Feel like I’m making a big deal of this, but just wanted to point out a discovery, when looking at UT’s TikTok (I don’t use TikTok) I noticed photos were not credited (which I don’t mind as much but just saying that if anyone cares) which I didn’t think much of, but when looking closer, I noticed that when they used one of my photos they had edited out my signature? Unless I’m blind. Just a weird thing I saw. Wondering what’s up with that?

Original photo:

IMG_7995.jpeg

TikTok video.

IMG_7994.jpeg

Without the circle and arrows I added.

IMG_7994.jpeg

Feel like I’m making a big deal of this, but just wanted to point out a discovery, when looking at UT’s TikTok (I don’t use TikTok) I noticed photos were not credited (which I don’t mind as much but just saying that if anyone cares) which I didn’t think much of, but when looking closer, I noticed that when they used one of my photos they had edited out my signature? Unless I’m blind. Just a weird thing I saw. Wondering what’s up with that?

Original photo:

View attachment 576865

TikTok video.

View attachment 576864

Without the circle and arrows I added.
Yeah, I don't think that's okay. I think it should be presumed that if the poster took the time to add their signature they want to be credited. But even if they didn't, it'd be courteous to mention who submitted it in the tweet.

Yeah, I don't think that's okay. I think it should be presumed that if the poster took the time to add their signature they want to be credited. But even if they didn't, it'd be courteous to mention who submitted it in the tweet.
Yeah, I saw a lot of photos going uncredited. They should be credited! I saw in a particular CIBC Square video, a lot of mburrrrr’s photos were used without any credits. And yeah, strange that they went through the process of removing the signature. Not only do they not bother to credit, but they get rid of the credit in the photo!

I should probably place an obvious one, and another hidden one.
Thats exactly what I'm doing now. Thats for informing us, I dont have nor will ever have Tiktok, so its good to know. Its unacceptable to not be credited for photography.

Thats exactly what I'm doing now. Thats for informing us, I dont have nor will ever have Tiktok, so its good to know. Its unacceptable to not be credited for photography.
That’s good. You can also use image reverse searchers to find if your photo is being used on another website.

There is no easy solution to this...and is likely a pain to do outside of being really skilled at it, but making sure one's watermark signature is placed as such within the photographic contributions that will make it more difficult for anyone else to remove. Mr. kotsy is a good example of this by tagging grainy signatures upon grainy and/or awkward subject matter and surfaces. This does not guarantee that this will stop anyone using it without proper crediting, but it will at least act as more of a deterrent in doing so.

...others here have used more extreme measures in the past such as slapping their contributions with huge arsed watermarks or spamming it with colourful clip art characters. I find that really distracting as I am sure other readers do too, but I guess it was working for them.

This looks like a pretty deliberate attempt to discredit the photographer.

Media: Photos, Artwork, and Videos
- UrbanToronto reserves the right to use all photos, artwork, and videos posted on the site on other sections of the site and on related UrbanToronto websites. Credit will be given to the photographers/artists.
- Copyright however remains with the photographers/artists in question
- No one has the right to take media posted on UrbanToronto for use elsewhere without the express written consent of the owners of the copyright (photographers etc.)
- Credit to the author of reposted media must be given when the image or video is not the work of the person posting.

So I looked and TikTok is not one of UT's listed socials here: https://urbantoronto.ca/services/

Is the account actually associated with UT? I've recently seen a trend reported by some of the creators I follow of content being reposted on other social networks (or in some cases the same social network) with watermarks removed and I wonder if that's what's going on here.

Something from The Powers that Be here would be nice to clear up confusion. Paging @Edward Skira

Back