Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Great sense of scale with the workers laying the concrete there. Huge under-taking.

Saturday Surprise: Work progresses on the foundation piles in preparation for the column to support the Pedestrian bridge between CIBC Square and Scotiabank Arean (SBA)

IMG_0741.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0741.jpg
    IMG_0741.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 1,087
Hot and Hazy Friday

Westside Story: More of the core has risen, and a lot of the 2 level jump form has been installed around the perimeter.

View attachment 149989

Core close-up: as you can see the rebar has been installed around the southern portion of the core and the slip forms have been attached in preparation for pouring in the near future.

View attachment 149990

Eastside Story: More action in this area this week. Everything west of Crane#3 is formed, rebarred and some poured areas for the Ground Level 01. In the south-east corner, some forming is being assembled for the last quarter section of P1 level. The P1 level only reaches the formed concrete walls running east to west just north of Crane#3. There has been progress on the ramp from P2 to the ground level exit to Yonge St. The area is covered in green underlay. It also shows the beginning of a ramp rising to the P1 level adjacent to 18 Yonge Street's west wall

View attachment 149991

Trackside: Some additional steel framework has been added to the constructions towards the north

View attachment 149992
@Michael62 Friday update stitched:
Untitled_Panorama1.png

Attachments

• Untitled_Panorama1.png
    Untitled_Panorama1.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,154
Saturday Surprise: Work progresses on the foundation piles in preparation for the column to support the Pedestrian bridge between CIBC Square and Scotiabank Arean (SBA)

View attachment 150051

Any reason they're doing this bridge foundation work so early? I can't imagine any construction involving/inside the Scotiabank Arena (i.e., bridgework, escalators from the bridge inside the Arena, potential PATH extension) being done during the NHL/NBA regular season when the area will be crammed with people every other night, and surely it's too late to complete any of that this summer. Based on that intuition I was expecting them to get all of the bridge-related work done across a full summer in 2019 or 2020.

Any reason they're doing this bridge foundation work so early? I can't imagine any construction involving/inside the Scotiabank Arena (i.e., bridgework, escalators from the bridge inside the Arena, potential PATH extension) being done during the NHL/NBA regular season when the area will be crammed with people every other night, and surely it's too late to complete any of that this summer. Based on that intuition I was expecting them to get all of the bridge-related work done across a full summer in 2019 or 2020.
Why do you think they are intending to move inside the SB Arena immediately and why do you think anything will be accessible to 'the public' on east side of Bay for a year or more. No reason not to move ahead on this now (just as there is a PATH 'end' in Backstage on east side of Yonge and 45 Bay to which it will be connected has yet to even start yet.

Why do you think they are intending to move inside the SB Arena immediately and why do you think anything will be accessible to 'the public' on east side of Bay for a year or more.

That's my point -- I don't think either of those things, which is why I'm wondering why they're beginning work on the bridge at this particular point in time. I don't have anything against it; it just seems more logical to get the SB-related bridge stuff done in one shot later on, which seems infeasible right now. Obviously they must have some kind of rationale -- that's why I'm asking.

The "park" footings are being done early because the steel is coming in via train.
This will give them a place to crane and drop pieces as needed so the train can move back out and get more steel.
FYI---interior bid packages are expected to go out Sept-October they are still trackking for a "2020" FDOB .

Last edited:
Friday, why not?

Westside Story: There is more signage on the west and east side, concrete has mostly been poured from east of the core to Crane#3. This area shows the roughed in floor plate for the bus terminal parking bays, which is slightly lower than the floor closer to the core.

IMG_0769.jpg

Eastside Story: A closer look at the bus terminal unloading/loading bays, The area covered in black plastic was poured earlier today and will be the part of the main entrance, ticket booths and waiting area for the bus terminal. Looking east towards 18 Yonge St. they are presently pouring the last little bit of P1. You may also notice that there are no longer any rebar columns in or around the core area, there are however rounded rebar projections which will support the second level of the bus terminal level 02. There are also rectangular rebar projections in the area east of Crane#3 but at levels below Ground 01

IMG_0770.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0769.jpg
    IMG_0769.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 1,223
  • IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 1,253
Friday, why not?

Westside Story: There is more signage on the west and east side, concrete has mostly been poured from east of the core to Crane#3. This area shows the roughed in floor plate for the bus terminal parking bays, which is slightly lower than the floor closer to the core.

View attachment 150710

Eastside Story: A closer look at the bus terminal unloading/loading bays, The area covered in black plastic was poured earlier today and will be the part of the main entrance, ticket booths and waiting area for the bus terminal. Looking east towards 18 Yonge St. they are presently pouring the last little bit of P1. You may also notice that there are no longer any rebar columns in or around the core area, there are however rounded rebar projections which will support the second level of the bus terminal level 02. There are also rectangular rebar projections in the area east of Crane#3 but at levels below Ground 01

View attachment 150711
the latest @Michael62 update stitched!
Untitled_Panorama1.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled_Panorama1.jpg
    Untitled_Panorama1.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 733

Back