Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Agreed, I'd rather them vacate Commerce Court but keep some presence in the historic building, or maybe that's what the article meant !

Sort of related: any possibility that MLSE might feel the need to take advantage of the large amount of density available over the Air Canada Centre? That little stump is begging to be rebuilt as a 50-60 story tower.

C9OQY5SXUAAcEic.jpg

It's funny to look back at Toronto during the 90s and it's "Arbee Centre" days, when the city was limping in the darkness for the decade between the 80s "World Class" Art Egleton period, and the years away real estate/condo boom that would transform the city. Aside from the Blue Jays and the Gilmour-led Maple Leafs, Toronto didn't have much to feel good about during that weirdly prolonged time-out.

You know… at the risk of getting swept up in this, this is huge. Who would have believed yesterday that today both Bay Park towers would be given the green light? I had imagined we'd be hearing about tower number one soon, but I thought we'd be waiting years for an announcement on the second tower. Given the time between phases at some downtown office complexes (cough Bay Adelaide cough) the changes that often happen to the designs over time normally detract from the wholeness of the complex. Here we get a prominent, cohesive pair of first rate towers.

Happy day.

Couldn't agree more, it feels like Christmas morning today! Two gorgeous 200m+ office towers being given the green light in one day. It's one thing to get approvals with the city, but with commercial buildings the only thing that really matters is attracting the tenants. And with 60% of all the leasable space going to one main tenant, this project is moving ahead fast. Toronto hasn't had office towers this tall or large be constructed in decades. (I think the TD Tower and Scotia Tower were the last two which was back in the late 80's/early 90's). This is very exciting news, and on top of all that... the towers are gorgeous. Will totally transform the skyline.

This is a hideous building. It's the last thing the city needs. What of the residential building at 18 Yonge Street. It will be completely shadowed of sunlight. What of hhe residence in the area and our livable city.

It would be nice if they moved the Commerce Court underground branch #2 to the main hall of CCN after the move.

This is a hideous building. It's the last thing the city needs. What of the residential building at 18 Yonge Street. It will be completely shadowed of sunlight. What of hhe residence in the area and our livable city.

First of all, that claim is hyperbole. Second, 18 Yonge is rather hideous. Third, condos vs. office space right by Union Station - that's a pretty easy choice.

On the bright side, I am sure 18 Yonge is worth even more now.

AoD

Last edited:
I am sure 18 Yonge is worth even more now.

^as someone in the appraisal/assessment industry, I concur with your prediction. Prox. to the core, a closer PATH, more employment, more restaurants, more transportation, generally all have a positive effect on property values based on increased demand.

If anyone can confirm... media has been saying this is a twin tower 49 storey development and some of the renderings are unclear.

Did the second tower lose a few storeys or is this just a small inaccuracy in the articles?

Back