Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Thank you CIBC to bring us a so majestic building.
I am so proud of this complex that will make shine more our Ontarian capital and Canada largest city.
I am not worried for Commerce Court West. CIBC was not the only tenant in the building.
I was waiting for this moment impatiently since many years and i am so relieved that this building will be built.
A city like big like Toronto must have a certain architecture style and by building Bay Park Center,
Toronto deserve to be among the big players in the world.
Now,i would like other extraordinary office towers like Union Center,160 Front or 30 Bay street will be built too.
As a bank employee,i will be glad if one day i could work in Bay Park center myself.
Cibc is the symbol of excellence.
Thank you again CIBC.

What will happen to the current commerce court complex?
The owner (BCIMC) will instruct the property manager (QuadReal) to get active in attracting new office tenants to replace the portion of the complex that will be vacated by CIBC. QuadReal will listen to that conversation and realize the owner of the building is also their owner and will act in a proactive fashion to attract said tenants.

EDIT: by my count......CIBC is one of 34 office tenants at Commerce Court. Not even sure they are the largest (they may well be but there are some other significant players in that building).....the bigger challenge for bcIMC and Quadreal will be if any of those other 33 tenants are also scheduled to leave to go to other new projects being planned/built.

Last edited:
You know… at the risk of getting swept up in this, this is huge. Who would have believed yesterday that today both Bay Park towers would be given the green light? I had imagined we'd be hearing about tower number one soon, but I thought we'd be waiting years for an announcement on the second tower. Given the time between phases at some downtown office complexes (cough Bay Adelaide cough) the changes that often happen to the designs over time normally detract from the wholeness of the complex. Here we get a prominent, cohesive pair of first rate towers.

Happy day.

But then we also have Bay-Adelaide Centre, rather than Deloitte Centre. Or First Canadian Place instead of BMO Tower. I prefer those more interesting names over the usual corporate blandness. It's too bad this won't be called Bay Park Centre in the near future.

First Canadian Place is not called BMO Tower because there is already a building called BMO Tower. 55 Bloor is called BMO Tower, Toronto (BMTT) while there is another building in Montreal called BMO Tower, Montreal (BMTM).
Similarly, there is an RBC Tower, which is at 155 Wellington.

The Bay-Adelaide Centre might eventually be renamed to something Deloitte once they realize how the other Big 4 get a tower named after them (EY Tower, KPMG building, PwC something...)

Since someone asked about where the Go Bus terminal is going to be...
8aMbKgO.jpg
[/IMG]
8aMbKgO.jpg

The day Toronto got a Wilkinson Eyre! Oh lovely day!

Seriously this is so massive and will fill this message board with chat for years to come. (Not that there was likely to be decreased activity, but just saying..)
I've been waiting all my life to see a commercial and residential boom at the same time. It was pretty exciting when BA1, RBC, and Telus were going up, but that's nothing compared to what might be around the corner, esp. if another one of the big ones gets an anchor.

Thank you CIBC to bring us a so majestic building.

Thank you again CIBC.

CIBC is not bringing us the building, it was already designed and planned, we should thank Ivanhoe Cambridge. The fact CIBC have agreed to rent much of the space certainly brings construction forward but if not them someone else would have come forward- it's a great design and will certainly be a landmark and an asset.

Sort of related: any possibility that MLSE might feel the need to take advantage of the large amount of density available over the Air Canada Centre? That little stump is begging to be rebuilt as a 50-60 story tower.

C9OQY5SXUAAcEic.jpg

Hey is there any retail at grade planned as part of this ?

I am worried that CIBC doesn't have any brand presence here. When the announcement was made I had a hard time figuring out why everyone was crediting CIBC with the plan. Wink.
Tongue in cheek aside, I am hoping the Wilkinson Eyre can persuade CIBC to use a less garish logo on the building - maybe knockout letters instead.

p5

Wasn't that MLSE office stump built quite recently?

No, it was built with the stadium.

tspa_0097966f.jpg

Back then, there was literally nothing in either direction and I don't think MLSE could have imagined they'd be getting into residential real estate development. If it were built today in the middle of South Core, there's no doubt that it would have had a residential or hotel component on top of the office floors. It's not too late. I'm sure MLSE can find some temporary office space across the street while they tear down the stump and build a tower to match the density now going up in the area.

First Canadian Place is not called BMO Tower because there is already a building called BMO Tower. 55 Bloor is called BMO Tower, Toronto (BMTT) while there is another building in Montreal called BMO Tower, Montreal (BMTM).
Similarly, there is an RBC Tower, which is at 155 Wellington.

Actually, it's been common practice to refer to 1 FCP's as the Bank of Montreal Tower (as the logo on top still makes clear). Likewise, 2 FCP's been Exchange Place because of the Toronto Stock Exchange.

As for Commerce Court, I'm wondering about its future and if there'll remain a token CIBC presence to excuse the naming--and in some ways, I'm even more concerned about CCN and what happens to its banking hall or other ancillary spaces within...

Back