Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
I'm assuming this one is for the bridge between the ACC and CIBC Square (note that 181 Bay should be 81 Bay):
upload_2018-6-12_14-43-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-12_14-43-31.png
    upload_2018-6-12_14-43-31.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 590
^One would hope the future bridge isn't as pathetic as the PATH connection within the ACC that leads to Southcore.

At the very least, this one will have an escalator, in addition to an elevator
Yes, it is the absolutely WORST connection and I am amazed that MLES or whoever got the OK to make the link got permission for it. Not only are the stairs VERY steep and long, the elevator is tiny, entered from outside AND is often out of order.

Yes, it is the absolutely WORST connection and I am amazed that MLES or whoever got the OK to make the link got permission for it. Not only are the stairs VERY steep and long, the elevator is tiny, entered from outside AND is often out of order.

I had frequently wondered about this aberration: How is it that a prestigious, and one of the most profitable venues on the continent, could have such a user-unfriendly and, dare I say it, discriminatory, access policy and addition to PATH?(!?) In the dead of winter while able-bodied persons can enjoy sheltered access via the stairs (albeit steep), the disabled are required to brave the cold and use an elevator with only enough capacity for one wheelchair per ride. So what happens when multiple persons in wheelchairs need that elevator? I find this facet of the ACC (soon to be Scotia...) quite jolting. Has there been any class (disabled) action lawsuits brought forward to incentivize better accommodation by the ACC?

Ideally, there should be a combination of elevators, stairs and escalators to move people internally along in the sheltered space that is currently occupied by those flights of steep stairways.

^^ There should be a mezzanine level around the perimeter of the ACC lobby for single-level access to the elevated PATH levels in Southcore. The existing ugly stairway and outdoor elevator connection could then be eliminated.

Last edited:
^^ There should be a mezzanine level around the perimeter of the ACC lobby for single-level access to the elevated PATH levels in Southcore. The existing ugly stairway and outdoor elevator connection could then be eliminated.
Not sure I understand your idea. The current problem is that there are (steep and long) stairs (only) going from just south of the ACC Lobby area up to the PATH level - which runs at mid-level through the ACC lobby - and then connects to Southcore. There is a 'branch' off of this level going to Maple Leaf Square - which does have escalators - but then one needs to go outside to connect to the PATH inside the back of Union Station. The outdoor elevator is not only small and, obviously, outside but it is also frequently out of order.

Quite simply, there must be and there eventually will be a set of escalators from the ground level of either the ACC atrium or south entrance of Union Station up to the mezzanine level of the ACC. An extension of that mezzanine wrapping around the south side of ACC and connecting to CIBC Square isn't a bad idea, just probably not needed at this point.

Quite simply, there must be and there eventually will be a set of escalators from the ground level of either the ACC atrium or south entrance of Union Station up to the mezzanine level of the ACC. An extension of that mezzanine wrapping around the south side of ACC and connecting to CIBC Square isn't a bad idea, just probably not needed at this point.
CIBC Square WILL have an above-ground connection to ACC across Bay Street south of the rail berm. Possibly "they' will work out some way to link this to the existing PATH walkway on the west side of ACC. I am not sure how they currently plan to deal with the new access from CIBC nor exactly what is in the area where this will enter ACC (is it on north side of the ACC lobby?

Beautiful day Friday

Westside Story: The ramp from P1 to Ground has been poured. The core tower has been poured and exposed. The thickness of the walls of the core can now be seen. The plywood platform that was constructed over the blue steel beam grid had a series of 'trap doors' installed. When the pour began they opened one of these doors, filled with concrete and sequentially moved to the next. Looking toward the south of the central core and slightly to the east you will be able to see one of the doors has been left open. The two voids in the plywood platform, (if the next construction sequence is going to be repeated) will contain stairs that will rise from these voids. You may be able to see the pre-formed stairs sitting on the P1 to Ground ramp just west of Crane#2

Westside.jpg

Eastside Story: P2 is mostly complete, there is just a small area in the southeast corner waiting for its concrete pour. Looking towards the north wall, you may notice that the columns and the scaffold-forming for the Ground level floor appears to be double height. There is no P1 floor in this quadrant to allow extra height for truck and maintenance activities to enter and egress to Yonge St from this space.

Eastside Story.jpg

Trackside: More steelwork has been added to the public park platform (formally the CIBC park 'wink, wink') almost completing the second stage of the work that will transverse the tracks from south to north

IMG_0675.jpg

NOTE: My view is getting more intrusive and the photos I take will eventually include identifiable faces of the workers. Can anyone advise me of the legality of showing the workers faces? One would assume some type of implied privacy to protect workers from identification would be expected. Is it possible to blur the faces to protect these people from unwanted attention?

Attachments

• Westside.jpg
    Westside.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 791
  • Eastside Story.jpg
    Eastside Story.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 837
  • IMG_0675.jpg
    IMG_0675.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 793
Beautiful day Friday

Westside Story: The ramp from P1 to Ground has been poured. The core tower has been poured and exposed. The thickness of the walls of the core can now be seen. The plywood platform that was constructed over the blue steel beam grid had a series of 'trap doors' installed. When the pour began they opened one of these doors, filled with concrete and sequentially moved to the next. Looking toward the south of the central core and slightly to the east you will be able to see one of the doors has been left open. The two voids in the plywood platform, (if the next construction sequence is going to be repeated) will contain stairs that will rise from these voids. You may be able to see the pre-formed stairs sitting on the P1 to Ground ramp just west of Crane#2

View attachment 147086

Eastside Story: P2 is mostly complete, there is just a small area in the southeast corner waiting for its concrete pour. Looking towards the north wall, you may notice that the columns and the scaffold-forming for the Ground level floor appears to be double height. There is no P1 floor in this quadrant to allow extra height for truck and maintenance activities to enter and egress to Yonge St from this space.

View attachment 147087

Trackside: More steelwork has been added to the public park platform (formally the CIBC park 'wink, wink') almost completing the second stage of the work that will transverse the tracks from south to north

View attachment 147088

NOTE: My view is getting more intrusive and the photos I take will eventually include identifiable faces of the workers. Can anyone advise me of the legality of showing the workers faces? One would assume some type of implied privacy to protect workers from identification would be expected. Is it possible to blur the faces to protect these people from unwanted attention?
Blurring is easily possible, but people appearing in public have no inherent privacy rights that protect them from being photographed. I really wouldn't worry about that going forward. You'll see plenty of construction worker faces (some less pleased than others) in almost every thread, so I say just keep shooting! Just don't take photos of children and nobody will mind.

Last edited:

Back