Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Spacing article on this issue

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2014/10/03/torontos-swelling-bedrock/

Incidentally the article have mentioned one possible reason why the garage isn't any deeper, and some possible mitigations:

There are a number of different approaches used to mitigate the effects of squeezing rock. You can limit excavation depths to the top of the troublesome rock, approximately 10 m deep along the downtown waterfront. You can excavate the rock, wait for it to squeeze/swell, and then build your structure. You can build your structure to take the squeezing loads, meaning thick walls with extra steel reinforcement. You can surround the structures by foam like materials that compress as the rock presses in. If appropriate construction techniques are used, the negative impacts of our quirky rock are avoided.

AoD

Last edited:
Westside story: Lots of forming going on. There are also some columns or piers rising from the ground. (Please correct me if piers is the incorrect terminology). There is a row of square foundations all in a row about 3m west of the main forming that I think will be called 'the core' of the building. Directly to the southwest of the core forming you can see the beginnings of a ramp rising. There is a blue container sitting in the middle of it, but if you follow the rectangular perimeter of rebar you can see the rise along north and south sides of the rectangle with the lower level being on the west end and the higher level on the east end. Under the platform there has been activity against the western wall along the east side of Bay St. They have built some rebar columns and covered the wall in large grid steel mesh.

View attachment 133965

East side story: Not much new this week but I'll add a picture anyway or you can wave to the guy in the crane :)

View attachment 133966

Trackside story: The boring machine has worked every night this week. Most action has been taking place on the platform just south of GO train #668? or #665? Sorry the picture is inadequate, but if you expand, even though it is very grainy, you will be able to see a set of orange traffic cones showing where the boring has been completed and one boring bit/tube that hasn't been removed from a hole in progress. It looks like the north boring will mirror what was done previously towards the south which continues to be marked by the orange traffic cones at the edge of the south end of the train shed.

View attachment 133967

That looks like just a couple of floors down. No parking at CIBC square? Just the bus station?

There's 3 floors of U/G parking. The bus station is on the ground and 2nd floor.

White 0ut conditions on Friday so I had to wait til today. Trying to describe this is now becoming difficult because there are so many different things happening in a small way that it would take pages to describe and would be quite boring to read. The only really interesting thing is that they are building a roof/floor on top of the south end of the core (centre of photo). Is this the beginning of the P2 level of the building?

Westside:

West.jpg

Eastside:

IMG_0342.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 447
  • West.jpg
    West.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 447
Commercial projects always move along at a decent speed I find. They have one of the big banks waiting on getting in so the pressure is on. Im pumped to see the final result here, the tallest and biggest office towers to go up in Toronto in 25+ years. This is a big moment.

Commercial projects always move along at a decent speed I find. They have one of the big banks waiting on getting in so the pressure is on. Im pumped to see the final result here, the tallest and biggest office towers to go up in Toronto in 25+ years. This is a big moment.
No kidding. This is one of the most consequential developments in this entire boom. It's a big deal.

A big deal is when i see, CIBC-3, 30 Bay, 156 Front, and Union Centre, all going up at the same time..lol:p
No kidding, its great to see office towers being built
Union Center and 156 Front have been on my list for ages. That part of the downtown core could use a lot of thickening. And that damn parking lot--it's been there as long as I can remember. Time to go.

Westside Story:

There is a lot of forming and pouring going on this week. Of interest is the new vertical wall that is being constructed just under the platform along Bay St. Earlier the shoring wall along Bay (under the platform) was covered in what looked like white styrofoam and then spray coated with concrete similar to how a gunite pool is formed. The new vertical wall is a becoming a serious concrete wall with proper footings, rebar and forming. The area to the south is blanketed in plastic tarpaulins after the concrete pour. Further along towards the north you can see the forms being constructed along the line which incorporates the steel posts that have been supporting the platform. Other work continues on the core section of the building. Along the north wall a coating of black sheeting was attached to the shoring which has now been covered in a white sheeting. The sheeting covers over the tiebacks that were protruding from this wall

westside.jpg

Eastside Story: Nothing really new happening along the east side this week, only a few new columns have been formed and poured on this side

eastside.jpg

Attachments

• westside.jpg
    westside.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 437
  • eastside.jpg
    eastside.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 426
Haha don't be greedy now :) My gut feeling tells me another one of those towers on that list will be going ahead this year.
I have the same feeling myself. I am sure that one or two of these towers will begin to rise very soon .
But the tower my favorite one is Union Centre. This building will be so unique and beautiful .
30 Bay could go up later this year too . If Oxford want the building ready for 2023,starting the construction late this year
or early in 2019 seems reasonable.

Back