News   Mar 28, 2024
 350     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 702     0 

"Toronto" chocolate from Venezuela

current

Member Bio
Reaction score
I found out the other day that the most popular candy in Venezuela is called "Toronto" from a visitor to our city. I would like to know how it got its name. He said it was his favorite chocolate when he was growing up so I looked it up on Google:

If you ever get the chance to try it... do! Insanely good chocolate.

It's very amusing how every Venezuelan knows Toronto but Torontonians themselves are thoroughly unaware of their fame in that country!

I'm not sure how it got its name, but the chocolate-maker that manufactures it also makes another less popular one called 'Boston'. I've always assumed they went for a North American city theme, and Toronto happened to be the most successful one due to its undisputed chocolate-superiority.

It's a very particular type of chocolate around the hazelnut. Very different from the ones you get around here.

I saw Arepa cafe were carrying them once. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Aw, these remind me of home! It's a Venezuelan tradition, for sure :).

Has anyone seen them in any store? I'd kill for some.

After eating this chocolate, you could wash off in a Toronto sink, take a bath in a Toronto tub, and excrete it through...yes...a Toronto toilet: http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/bathro...oronto-Bathroom-Suite-10417516?skuId=10898222

Toronto Bathroom Suite EAN: 5034109610001
(0) Write the first review £655.00
Contains: Close coupled WC pan, cistern fittings and soft-close seat, 1 tap hole basin, pedestal, straight acrylic bath and front bath panel from the Toronto range.
Delivery
Delivery usually within 2 weeks

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Attachments

• spacer.gif
    spacer.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 3,309
I would like to know how it got its name.

It's not complex behind the name. As mentioned here, Toronto is considered a "Beverly Hills" to many third world countries. The name is simply used as a gimmick to give a false sense of reality.

It's not complex behind the name. As mentioned here, Toronto is considered a "Beverly Hills" to many third world countries. The name is simply used as a gimmick to give a false sense of reality.

No. It's more like Toronto calling its condos after London or New York.

Reminds me of how the "Boston Pizza" chain has never had anything to do with Boston. Boston Pizza is Canadian, BTW

Reminds me of how the "Boston Pizza" chain has never had anything to do with Boston. Boston Pizza is Canadian, BTW
Same with New York Fries, which is also Canadian. It has some non-Canadian locations, none of which are in the United States.

Boston Pizza is found in the United States (as Boston's), yet none are located in the state of Massachusetts!

Last edited:
Except these chocolates don't for a second intend to fool anyone or evoke any Toronto qualities. They are more akin to one of Devinci's bikes named after miscellaneous well-known cities they like.

The Nestlé Venezuela site indicates the chocolates were made starting in 1949, but not why they were named Toronto.

The Facebook page for them is pretty funny:

¡No hay nada mejor que un TORONTO® para consentirte!
(No better way to indulge yourself than a Toronto!)

¿Quién puede resistirse a un TORONTO®?
(Who can resist a Toronto?)

I'll see if one of the Latin stores in Kensington carries them.

Back