Toronto Cherry House at Canary Landing | 50.32m | 13s | Dream | COBE Architects

COVID really exposed how lacking in pharmacies Canary/Distillery was. Which was hilarious seeing how Canary was promoted as the “health” district. So Rexall, Shoppers, whomever. We’ve got a couple thousand more residents with needs and the seniors centre eventually (maybe?) showing up.

(Also think it was criminal for the Distillery not to use the Fermenting Cellar for vaccinations. Sizable floor plan, accessible, and doors on either side)

Reactions: MJP
I can pretty much guarantee you that a Shoppers is going in somewhere south of King.
With the Queen/Parliament locale now essentially gone, it would be useful indeed. I'd maybe prefer a Rexall though, just to mix it up.

One project. Two corners.

IMG_9070.jpeg

IMG_9072.jpeg

Taken 15 April. Supports for windows going in on the ground floor. And I am really liking the very metropolitan scaled retail spaces that we are getting in many of these new builds. Lends a sense of urbanity to any street.

IMG_0408.jpeg

IMG_0407.jpeg
IMG_0406.jpeg
IMG_0405.jpeg
IMG_0404.jpeg
IMG_0403.jpeg
IMG_0402.jpeg
IMG_0401.jpeg
IMG_0400.jpeg
IMG_0399.jpeg
IMG_0398.jpeg

On the topic of whether the Christmas Market will be able to expand I will say ‘yes’ after walking around Cherry House. Along Trinity Street and the new east-west street there is plenty of retail and sidewalk space for a market. Plus any business that moves in here isn’t going to ignore the biggest sales event of the year!

Also Public Work is doing the landscaping here so I wonder if the are doing anything interesting with the new street on the southern boundary? Woonerf?

Do we know if the lobby will occupy space on Trinity? There’s the big wide second story staircase in the middle, so...

Wild to think that the Distillery is 20yrs old and we’ve managed to maintain an absolute dead zone around it the entire time. You’d think that surrounding the place with ground level retail would benefit everyone, but nah. It’s kinda like how the TD left Mill st and the best we could do for a while was a sculpture gallery. Or how they swapped out retail near the streetcar loop for residential units. Sure we’ll get the bakery right at the corner, but I can’t imagine folks in those units are going to enjoy the folks milling about waiting for the streetcar after last call.

I know there’s plenty of needs for the area, but I’ve always thought a second Spacing Store would do well in/around the Distillery.

Back