Toronto Chelsea Green (was 33 Gerrard) | 297.25m | 90s | Great Eagle | a—A

Ha! That's what I think about whenever I'm down on Commissioner, staring at the largest purpose-built soundstage in North America, or at the gigantic Hearn plant over on Unwin... how quaintly rural the place is.

First post here! I went for the community consultation meeting and was surprised at the turn out and such care that Torontonians have for the city.

I may have missed all the details of the talk, but did Peter Cewes or anyone there mentioned who the structural engineer for the project was?

No, he didn't, but much of what was said is now here on our front page, including some new renderings. (They're not in the dataBase file yet. Hopefully later tonight.)

Have fun!

Like the idea of a linear park/square, but the alignment is unfortunate - guess what the northern enclosure is going to be like?

upload_2016-3-2_20-20-23.png

(Google Maps)

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2016-3-2_20-20-23.png
    upload_2016-3-2_20-20-23.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 884
I appreciate that these renders are very preliminary, but that park needs some serious help! The space is going to be soaked in shadows for much of the day. I don't think that necessary makes that the park/public space a failure. But it'll need a more creative solution than this:

sod.jpeg

Attachments

• sod.jpeg
    sod.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 885
When are they planning to re-submit to the city? I'm interested to see full plans for the revised proposal.

True, but I meant aesthetically.
The park has not been designed yet. A space has been left for it, that's it!

When are they planning to re-submit to the city? I'm interested to see full plans for the revised proposal.
As of yesterday they did not know that. The plan was to consider the feedback from the night before finalizing the resubmission.

Likely it will take some time. Looking through those plans you get a sense of the scale of a project like this. There's so much to consider that this early on, things are so far from any resolution. I actually spotted several building code violations (fire exiting, in particular) looking through the submitted plans. Obviously it's just a rezoning package and those details don't matter yet but that sort of illustrates just how preliminary these sorts of plans are. It will be very exciting to see it come together.

*crosses fingers he'll end up at aA and get to work on a proposal like this in the not-so-distant future*

I do. I have been to North York or Scarborough after all.
In all seriousness, what I was against was this fear mongering "this is too dense!" protest as if a couple of 60-80s towers will immediately make an area unlivable. I am sure those people must have grown up in the suburbs where there are no buildings taller than 4 stories within walking distance and watching a movie involves a car ride. Like you said, density doesn't have to come from highrises in the case of Paris/Barcelona/even Tokyo, but Toronto is NOT dense, even downtown. True that very high density decreases quality of life, but Toronto is not remotely close to that tipping point, but rather at the point where higher density will increase quality of life. I don't know exactly how many residents downtown has today, but I can assure you life will be a lot more interesting/better if the number doubles/triples - this is not something people who spend their entire life in suburban North America (which is atypical by world standard) can fully understand.

Yes, Toronto as a whole isn't very dense. I'm not sure how that relates to a project that may be pushing density too far. Maybe it's fine on its own but you can't ignore the precedence it sets for the immediate community. We already have numerous projects pushing a 30 floor space index along Yonge. That means close to 30 floors high at 100% lot coverage. No density transfers or other creative ideas to push projects skywards needed either. Our controls for a neighbourhood/district are virtually nonexistent.

I'm lucky enough to have a work contract in Barcelona for the second winter in a row. One of the world's most beautiful cities, perhaps the most. Regardless of that I'm watching UT, from so far away.

I felt I must react -- you sure read some weird things here on UT. I suggest that everyone just disregard anything from ksun and anything from anyone who calls Toronto a zero.

And I felt that I should suggest that Clewes go have a word with Mr Ingels. The box is not the only solution. Time for some decor at the top. I love the height and street friendlies here. Not a fan of expanding PATH here, make sure this dev is really animated at street level.

Bring on the density.

Even while in Barca, I can recognize that Toronto is becoming an amazing place. I look forward to being home again soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm lucky enough to have a work contract in Barcelona for the second winter in a row. One of the world's most beautiful cities, perhaps the most. Regardless of that I'm watching UT, from so far away.

I felt I must react -- you sure read some weird things here on UT. I suggest that everyone just disregard anything from ksun and anything from anyone who calls Toronto a zero.

And I felt that I should suggest that Clewes go have a word with Mr Ingels. The box is not the only solution. Time for some decor at the top. I love the height and street friendlies here. Not a fan of expanding PATH here, make sure this dev is really animated at street level.

Bring on the fucking density.

Even while in Barca, I can recognize that Toronto is becoming an amazing place. I look forward to being home again soon.

I am jealous - urban design-wise the problem with Toronto isn't density - it is the lack of coherence and the general degree of ugliness from projects that pushes it.

AoD

I've been to Barca twice this winter. What a great city, though certainly not without its challenges. You're lucky to live there.

The Mediterranean climate of Barca certainly helps make it a more pleasant and walkable city in the winter. Toronto is not so fortunate in that respect. I hope, however, that the architects work hard on making this a four season park/public space, as far as may be possible. With a blizzard or even a strong north wind no one lingers outside, no matter how attractive the architecture. But the layout needs to acknowledge Toronto winters. It wouldn't be Las Ramblas, but it could be very pleasant. An aside: how often do we see renders of winter scenes? I would be favorably inclined to a development honest enough to acknowledge winter! Or even Spring and Autumn!

It doesn't fit this thread, but I would love to see extended walls of 6-10 storey buildings on the avenues outside the core, like Barca and so many other European city.

Stockholm might be a fairer comparative in some ways. It, by the way, has extended areas of suburban villas

I've been to Barca twice this winter. What a great city, though certainly not without its challenges. You're lucky to live there.

The Mediterranean climate of Barca certainly helps make it a more pleasant and walkable city in the winter. Toronto is not so fortunate in that respect. I hope, however, that the architects work hard on making this a four season park/public space, as far as may be possible. With a blizzard or even a strong north wind no one lingers outside, no matter how attractive the architecture. But the layout needs to acknowledge Toronto winters. It wouldn't be Las Ramblas, but it could be very pleasant. An aside: how often do we see renders of winter scenes? I would be favorably inclined to a development honest enough to acknowledge winter! Or even Spring and Autumn!

It doesn't fit this thread, but I would love to see extended walls of 6-10 storey buildings on the avenues outside the core, like Barca and so many other European city.

Stockholm might be a fairer comparative in some ways. It, by the way, has extended areas of suburban villas

Perhaps a glass canopy along the lines of what's being proposed for The Well would be appropriate - but of course, that cost $$ and probably causes all kinds of debate over the nature of the space and who is responsible for the canopy.

Someone will have to get the wind rose out for this one, but maybe the proposal is getting it all wrong - that instead of having the open space aligned N-S with awkward alignment northward (like, just how would it connect to the Barbara Ann Scott Park? drawing a line is not exactly sufficient) and a space that might be dubious from a microclimate perspective, it would be better to have a more modest, cozy connection and focus on creating a smaller, more intimate green space off Walton, with proper enclosure on all sides? Quality, not quantity.

AoD

Last edited:

Back