News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.8K     0 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 3.8K     3 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.4K     2 

Toronto Centre Federal By-election (cancelled)

I don't like Dion, and won't be voting for him - but I don't think anyone is going to be shocked by that statement. We have not had a good Prime Minister since probably Pearson.

The biggest weakness of the current government in my opinion is international relations. The current government seems to have problems with shades of grey (internationally) and instead can only deal with things in black and white. International politics is almost all shades of grey.

I have also been very disappointed with the current government in relation to trade. I am a firm believer that we should be pursuing trade agreements - it may not lead to anything - but we should pursue it. Trade agreements I am be interested in pursuing (including free movement of labour if possible - maybe caps would be needed for some countries - but not for EU or USA) include the US of course (but that will now have to wait for the next president); Mexico (NAFTA), the EU, ASEAN, Australia and NZ.

As far as preferences in the US presidential election. I would like it to be McCain vs Obama.

"change"? Canadians spoke loud and clear, we got "change" from majority governments who act arrogant. IMO Canadians are happy with minority government with proper checks and balances. Let's stick with the status quo here and leave "change" with the Americans, who undoubtibly after 8 years of Republican rule, need it.

This minority government is easily one of the more arrogant I've had the displeasure to witness.

The polls have been and will continue to bounce around in the mid thirties for each main party. I see an election potentially happening this Spring to break the deadlock, especially if Harper's questionable management of the country's finances yields a deficit (even just projected).

I'm not overly impressed with Dion's leadership, but the Liberals will continue to have my vote if nothing else but to keep Harper in line. Unfortunately, those are my only practical choices... I would at least consider voting Green if it wasn't tantamount to declining my ballot.

That must be frustrating for Dion and the Grits in general. They probably don't have my vote anyway, but I do feel a bit frustrated in the populace for not giving him a chance. He's an extremely smart man with some good policy proposals. He may not be slick like a Layton or Harper, but to say he's "unfavourable" is a bit much.

Hmm, never heard Harper called slick.

Yes, we did elect a minority, and yes that is change. But if all we wanted was a minority, instead of a majority, we could have given the Liberals a minority. But Harper was pretty much campaigning the whole time last year on the premise of accountability and change in government ('Canada Deserves Better'?), and no one was campaigning for a minority. And what have we ended up with? More unaccountability, and an even less trustable government.

My grande coffee in the morning at Starbucks used to be $2.00 even after tax. Now it's $1.98. I throw the pennies into the tip jar. Net savings for me, zero.
It's works both ways, a 2 or even 10% tax increase hardly affects your morning coffee. However, go and buy a car, house or anything else $20,000 or more, and you quickly benefit from a 2% reduction in taxes. On housing, the 2% reduction helps to eliminate the impact of some of Miller's new transfer tax.

If we run into economic issues later, taxes will have to rise. This government is committed to not running giant surpluses (like they did last year) or deficits. So, if the money stops coming in, and there's no fat left to trim, taxes will have to rise.

That's precisely the point. Harper claims these tax cuts are for the "working class"... but how often does the working class buy anything over $20,000? And how often will the working class buy anything that would create a substantial GST saving when the economy is slowing?

So, if the money stops coming in, and there's no fat left to trim, taxes will have to rise.

Honestly, I think that is Harper's plan to reduce the surplus to a point where decisions are based on 1. raising taxes or 2. look for additional spending cuts

Jeez, the Libs did both and won consecutive back to back to back majorities.

That's precisely the point. Harper claims these tax cuts are for the "working class"... but how often does the working class buy anything over $20,000? And how often will the working class buy anything that would create a substantial GST saving when the economy is slowing?

And yet when the GST was introduced the Liberals said it would hurt the poor the most; Same argument when they talk about moving from a graduated income tax to a VAT tax. So which is it?

What exactly does "working class" mean? This sounds like one of those Buzz Hargrove terms, where he'll say that "working people" are not being respected, as if somehow anyone who makes over $100,000 isn't working. I consider myself working class, and in the last ten years I've bought two houses (sold the one in Fredericton), two cars, a motorcycle, appliances, home renovations, beds, strollers and gear for my kids, etc. a 2% reduction in GST over those ten years would have saved me thousands.

It's works both ways, a 2 or even 10% tax increase hardly affects your morning coffee. However, go and buy a car, house or anything else $20,000 or more, and you quickly benefit from a 2% reduction in taxes. On housing, the 2% reduction helps to eliminate the impact of some of Miller's new transfer tax.

If we run into economic issues later, taxes will have to rise. This government is committed to not running giant surpluses (like they did last year) or deficits. So, if the money stops coming in, and there's no fat left to trim, taxes will have to rise.

That's not how neoconservative governments have typically operated, particularly in this country. They cut taxes to the point that we don't have the fiscal capacity to grow or maintain social services... 'starve the beast'. I think this is fairly obviously Harper's medium term plan, hence the cuts to high-visibility taxes; cuts that are unlikely to be reversed.

In terms of straight economic theory, cutting the GST is poor fiscal policy. The Liberals had the right of it with their proposal to cut low-end income taxes and capital taxes. These cuts would have, dollar for dollar, a greater positive impact on the Canadian economy. But don't take my word for it, look to the resounding consensus amongst economists--people who actually understand these things and work with these topics beyond personal anecdotes and whatever political marketing we've had beaten into us.

But don't take my word for it, look to the resounding consensus amongst economists--people who actually understand these things and work with these topics beyond personal anecdotes and whatever political marketing we've had beaten into us.

I thought Harper was an economist in his past life and has a Master's degree in economics.

Yeah, and that's why the economists are so disappointed in him. Economists who finished their doctorates.

Why not a simple flat tax percentage for everyone? You could have a low income cut off where you pay no tax, call it $20,000 or so.

Why? So you pay less and the unfortunate person trying to support a family on $20,000 pays more?

and then think of the people who make $19,999, scared for their next pay raise because it will end up setting them back because they have to pay taxes... and then the people who make $20,0001, who are pissed off they have to pay taxes because of a dollar.

Back