Brampton Centennial Mall Redevelopment (Phase 1) | 110.2m | 33s | Davpart | Graziani + Corazza

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
The indoor mall at Kennedy and Vodden was built in 1973 (the same year as the Town of Brampton's 100th year anniversary, hence the name), and was once anchored by Zellers and Dominion (now Food Basics). Zellers closed around 2012-2013 as that smaller store was not acquired by Target Canada. A 4-screen cinema built outside the mall closed in the 1990s and is now a Party City.

The mall ownership is looking to redevelop the site with mixed use apartment buildings, with townhouses on the east side, facing Hansen Road. The first phase (which would see a drive-thru Tim Horton's and the old cinema disappear) requires a zoning by-law amendment, with the entire property requiring an official plan amendment.

Phase I would include several mixed use buildings, 6 to 36 storeys tall, and 1122 apartment units.

IMG_9918.jpg
IMG_9919.jpg
IMG_9920.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure why they aren't planning for a connection to Marshall Drive to the south... is that a privately owned, controlled-access development that is deathly afraid of through traffic?

Not sure why they aren't planning for a connection to Marshall Drive to the south... is that a privately owned, controlled-access development that is deathly afraid of through traffic?

It's a privately owned townhouse complex, so that's the likely reason. A direct walkway from the Marshall Drive complex to the mall south entrance was fenced off by the property owner.

Coming up at the June 6 planning and development meeting.

Link to the staff report.

Phase 1:  Site Area of 1.98 hectares
4 buildings 6, 18, 24 and 33-storeys in height
A total of 1122 residential units consisting of:
o 734 one bedroom
o 275 two bedroom; and,
o 112 three bedroom; 
526 square metres of non-residential floor space 
845 parking spaces 

Retention of primary mall building  Demolition of the two satellite retail buildings located north of the primary mall building.

Staff have some concerns, most notably ensuring enough parks, schools, community centres/libraries and other amenities, the loss of overall commercial space (only 526 square metres, too small to replace the Food Basics supermarket, never mind other retail spaces such as the pharmacy in the mall), and some of the heights on the periphery of the proposal. Staff also note the new bike lanes on Vodden Street are slated for improvements.

Technical Considerations:
Comments from staff and external commenting agencies are required in order to complete a comprehensive analysis for this application. A complete review of technical planning and development implications will be undertaken and discussed within a future Recommendation Report. At this time, staff has noted the following specific considerations that will need to be addressed: 
- The site is located within a delineated boundary of the Kennedy Major Transit Station Area (MTSA) that has been established by the Region and should be reviewed in the context of the entire MTSA. 
- The adequacy of services as each phase is constructed such as the availability of schools, parks, community centres, libraries and municipal amenities as a result of the proposed increase in population shall be further explored.
- Coordination of provision of on-site amenity space with each phase of proposed development needs to be evaluated.
- The appropriateness of the building heights at the periphery of the MTSA requires further assessment. 
- The ultimate build-out of the site as proposed will significantly decrease the amount of commercial gross floor area on the site from the current 17, 620 square metres to 526 square metres.
- The appropriateness of this reduction will be further investigated as future development applications come forward for this site and should be addressed in the proposed Official Plan amendment.
- Adequacy of the proposed commercial gross floor area to service existing and new residents from the proposed development requires further assessment. 
- Due to the intended future improvements of bike lanes on Vodden Street East, that will provide safer and more construction of permanent bike lanes, and be part of a larger bicycle path network, the appropriateness of the Vodden Street East vehicular access will be further evaluated
- Further detail with respect to the functionality, suitability and timing of the private open space is required. 
- Building setbacks from public streets are to be reviewed to ensure that a treelined, well landscaped public realm can be accommodated.

Fullscreen capture 2022-05-27 41315 PM.jpg
Fullscreen capture 2022-05-27 41226 PM.jpg
Fullscreen capture 2022-05-27 41252 PM.jpg

Coming up at the June 6 planning and development meeting.

Link to the staff report.

Staff have some concerns, most notably ensuring enough parks, schools, community centres/libraries and other amenities, the loss of overall commercial space (only 526 square metres, too small to replace the Food Basics supermarket, never mind other retail spaces such as the pharmacy in the mall), and some of the heights on the periphery of the proposal. Staff also note the new bike lanes on Vodden Street are slated for improvements.

View attachment 402823View attachment 402825View attachment 402824

Not as laid out please.

I agree w/the spirit of what @nfitz was saying above; this community needs streets that connect through it and tie it in to the surrounding communities.

Sutherland Ave, should be extended across Laneway C and continuously on to Kennedy.
Laneway E should be a second E-W public road crossing the entire site.
Laneway B/D should be at least one continuous public N-S road through the site.

Given the proximity of Madoc Park, I'm ok w/their not being a significant park on site so long as Madoc Park is expanded south to Lauderdale or north to Crawford.

But I'm dubious on the on-site private space. I'd rather see a modest park with play equipment for little kids or such, and I'd rather that park faced a public road at the perimeter of the site.

Last edited:
Not as laid out please.

I agree w/the spirit of what @nfitz was talking above; this community needs streets that connect through it and tie it in to the surrounding communities.

Sutherland Ave, should be extended across Laneway C and continuously on to Kennedy.
Laneway E should be a second E-W public road crossing the entire site.
Laneway B/D should be at least one continuous public N-S road through the site.

Given the proximity of Madoc Park, I'm ok w/their not being a significant park on site so long as Madoc Park is expanded south to Lauderdale or north to Crawford.

But I'm dubious on the on-site private space. I'd rather see a modest park with play equipment for little kids or such, and I'd rather than park faced a public road at the perimeter of the site.

I don't disagree. The Shoppers World development (albeit on a much larger site) will feature several public roadways connecting with Mill Street/Lancashire Lane and Bartley Bull Parkway, as well as the expansion and upgrade of Kaneff Park to the west. At least one new public street between Kennedy and Hansen Road should suffice, along with privately owned internal roads.

I also strongly agree with staff's concern with the lack of replacement retail space. The old mall was too big, especially with Zellers gone, but the retention of a supermarket and pharmacy is really needed to serve the existing neighbourhood (which is already has several rental apartment buildings and rental townhouse developments adjacent), along with a few more essentials, such as a bank, medical offices, restaurants, and cleaners.

Hey guys, is there a way we can tag this as a brampton development? This is a project with a lot of history and interest.

Usually Brampton development threads mention "Brampton" in the title so it's easy to search by city.

This is a bit meta but I wish there was an easier way to find developments in specific GTA cities than hoping the city is mentioned in the title. Would it make more sense to have sub forums for each GTA city and moving threads accordingly?

Hey guys, is there a way we can tag this as a brampton development? This is a project with a lot of history and interest.

Usually Brampton development threads mention "Brampton" in the title so it's easy to search by city.

This is a bit meta but I wish there was an easier way to find developments in specific GTA cities than hoping the city is mentioned in the title. Would it make more sense to have sub forums for each GTA city and moving threads accordingly?

I concur that there are needed improvements to UT searches; though I'm on the fence about having multiple building threads.

But, in the meantime, if you know roughly where a project is located that you're interested in, you can always use the map, so long as it has a database file:

1679328166714.png

I also find google searches for UT threads can mitigate some of this.

Brampton has been added to the title!

I concur that there are needed improvements to UT searches; though I'm on the fence about having multiple building threads.

But, in the meantime, if you know roughly where a project is located that you're interested in, you can always use the map, so long as it has a database file:

View attachment 462648

I also find google searches for UT threads can mitigate some of this.

The UT Map is great for the whole picture, challenging to get the newest announcements off it.
There are changes coming. As more and more threads have been added to the Forum from the subarctic hinterlands that orbit the 416, making the Forum more representative of what's going in the region as a whole (including areas, that as far as I know, only got running water last week, like in Barrie, good for Barrie!), at the same time, the Forum is getting more unwieldy. To make it more manageable, our aim is to add a checkbox field atop the Forum pages where you can turn on or off whichever municipalities you want to see threads from. We don't know for certain that we can provide the functionality exactly that way yet, but it is on the list for improvements, with no arrival date yet unfortunately.

Staff are recommending approval:

One of the primary concerns, that a grocery store remain on-site was resolved: the official plan amendment stipulates that a 2,787 sq. metre (29,999 sq. feet) grocery store in phase 3 will be included.

Staff are recommending approval:

One of the primary concerns, that a grocery store remain on-site was resolved: the official plan amendment stipulates that a 2,787 sq. metre (29,999 sq. feet) grocery store in phase 3 will be included.

1) I still don't like the site plan/layout or the greenspace.

2) I'm glad staff were able to secure a grocery store, but I fail to understand why it's in phase 3 meaning that it will go missing on the site for a period of time.

Back