Toronto Catalyst at 77 Wade | 43.72m | 7s | Seeker Labs | DIALOG

Ooh, I actually drove along Wade yesterday in search of a temporary parking spot to drop off some dry cleaning nearby. I noticed there was a large dirt hauling type truck backing onto this site, but thought it was a nothingburger at the time. I'll try to take a closer look next time.

Update: These renders were published on April 12th with an updated leasing strategy, along with giving the project a new name as they are seeking out an alternative market in order to gain a tenant.

This may also no longer be a mass-timber development, but that's just guessing based on the renders. (find them additionally linked above.)

64770877-0c96-429b-b3b2-aa7da921df9e-w

Damn, yeah, looks like they abandoned the timber. Too bad, but it was always a long shot as the rents required to justify that capital outlay really don't exist at Lansdowne and Bloor.

I hope they find a tenant(s). There's no office space in that area so it would be a positive infusion.

Yeah, this looks lamer but perhaps more realistic. The area had a stronger air of optimism for creative usage office space when Ubisoft first moved in years ago a few blocks north. Understandably with all that's going on in the recent few years, it's much tougher to gain momentum again. Hope they can find tenant interest again in the niche or alternative markets they're looking at.

Yeah, this looks lamer but perhaps more realistic. The area had a stronger air of optimism for creative usage office space when Ubisoft first moved in years ago a few blocks north. Understandably with all that's going on in the recent few years, it's much tougher to gain momentum again. Hope they can find tenant interest again in the niche or alternative markets they're looking at.
Ha! I totally forgot about Ubisoft just up the street at Wallace - so much for there being no office space in the neighbourhood 🤣

It's truly a great location with lots of potential: density being built around this area, access to TTC (and maybe GO if Bloor-Landsdowne gets greenlit), future rail trail that goes downtown (sorta), and plenty of great lunch spots. In my opinion, all of that looks good on paper but if I was picking an office location, I wouldn't choose the one next to a smelly gelatin factory.

It's truly a great location with lots of potential: density being built around this area, access to TTC (and maybe GO if Bloor-Landsdowne gets greenlit), future rail trail that goes downtown (sorta), and plenty of great lunch spots. In my opinion, all of that looks good on paper but if I was picking an office location, I wouldn't choose the one next to a smelly gelatin factory.
Stinky Gelatin Plant (Nitta) may be looking for a way out from there too. They have a request in to convert their property from Core Employment Areas to Mixed Use Areas.
(Not sure what the status of that request is)

Stinky Gelatin Plant (Nitta) may be looking for a way out from there too. They have a request in to convert their property from Core Employment Areas to Mixed Use Areas.
(Not sure what the status of that request is)
Oh that's great to hear! Thanks for sharing that.

In the section for Nita Gelatin, the Preliminary Assessment section says: "Based on staff's preliminary assessment, the lands should be retained as Employment Areas and continue to be designated as Core Employment Areas."

What are city staff smoking? I understand that this is just a preliminary assessment, but this area is almost completely divested of industrial land. The only significant "core employment" use in that area is the roofing supply warehouse on Bloor.

Also, from here - a letter from their lawyers to the City about the seniors' residence being built almost next door at 640 Lansdowne: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2022/te/comm/communicationfile-153816.pdf
The Nitta Property currently contains a factory used for gelatin production, which is a permitted industrial use, and while within the Province’s set limits, the close proximity of existing residential sensitive land uses has resulted in numerous and frequent nuisance complaints by nearby and adjacent residents related to noise and odour emitted by the factory. For these reasons and others, on July 30, 2021, Nitta made a conversion request to the City as part of the City’s Municipal Comprehensive Review process to convert the Nitta Lands from the existing Core Employment designation to a Mixed Use designation (the “Nitta Request”, being Conversion Request No. 111). Should the Nitta conversion request be granted it would mitigate existing and potential land use compatibility conflicts in the long term. However, Nitta’s current and near future concerns would not be resolved and in fact will be negatively impacted should the Proposal be approved without proper environmental reports and mitigation measures being undertaken.

Back