Toronto Casa | 147.52m | 46s | Cresford | a—A

19 June 2009 photo update

Have a nice weekend UT-ites! From the westend at 4PM:

dsc01900p.jpg

(Tea time for me.:))

Hat's off, to CASA!! The building looks amazing so far. Can't wait for the lobby to be finished, but what will truly make this building is the successful completion of the "hat" on top. In the renderings, the hat's edges protrude a fair bit from the building's core. The hat's base also appears to be a bit higher than the average floor, giving it elegance and prominence. Let's see how they pull it off and how they light it. It just might wind up being a signature landmark in Toronto's midtown skyline at night.

I think that's the first photo I've seen where the Uptown and CrystalBlu cranes were both visible in the distance. Kind of a nice bit of foreshadowing, plus it's always interesting to see for the first time exactly where buildings will sit in relation to each other

wow i can already imagine how amazing the skyline is gonna look from this point after four seasons, crystal blue, uptown, and hopefully 1 bloor are all finished :D

^Another awesome, rarely seen angle.

Now...

What is going on here? It looks indeed like they are adding another floor. Why would they raise the forms this way for the hat when the walls of the hat are inset and the roof of the hat is much much higher?

DSCN4605.jpg

DSCN4603.jpg

DSCN4604.jpg

Casa_m1.jpg

Casa_r1.jpg

There's two possibilities:

a) They're either going to build the formwork for the hat on top of the flyforms, to save them having to build at least that first 12 feet of formwork.

or

b) They've flown the forms to the roof so they can be stripped and flown back down to the ground, and then once they've all been removed they'll have a nice clear surface up there for the erection of a steel hat.

b) makes way more sense to me, but they do all kinds of weird things in residential construction, so maybe it is a).

top floor

There's two possibilities:

a) They're either going to build the formwork for the hat on top of the flyforms, to save them having to build at least that first 12 feet of formwork.

or

b) They've flown the forms to the roof so they can be stripped and flown back down to the ground, and then once they've all been removed they'll have a nice clear surface up there for the erection of a steel hat.

b) makes way more sense to me, but they do all kinds of weird things in residential construction, so maybe it is a).

I stopped off at the sales office today and had a look at the penthouse floor plans. The 46th level units actually have stairs leading to the indented level just under the hat. In other words they have a private, sheltered, shady area to lounge in. Real nice with a nice price tag as well.

I stopped off at the sales office today and had a look at the penthouse floor plans. The 46th level units actually have stairs leading to the indented level just under the hat. In other words they have a private, sheltered, shady area to lounge in. Real nice with a nice price tag as well.

Ah-ha! That's what I thought originally. The 46th floor has access to a 2nd level which is why I was so sure we could call this 47 floors. I'll have to stop by to check out those floorplans if they don't put it up on their website.

Last edited:
It's really a shame they didn't make it a rooftop terrace for all residents to use. Seems like such a waste, how much time is one set of tennants really going to make use of an entire floor sized terrace? This is one example of Cresford ruining a bonus element to their condo in order to justify a little extra money from whoever purchases the 46th floor. A friend of mine just bought a unit in the polo club at bay and bloor which is 21 levels and has a rooftop terrace. I actually am going to post pics of CASA taken from there. The terrace is used by all and is a very lively place, what a shame Cresford tsk tsk.

But we'll have all have the stylish 6th floor to share and everyone has their own large balconies for outdoor fun.

I actually think Cresford was smart here by giving the PH level their own private paradise atop of Casa so they can charge them an exorbitant amount of money. Very smart. The views will be on par with those atop Manulife.

From Bay & Charles 22nd floor.

Attachments

• IMG_0290.jpg
    IMG_0290.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0304.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0311.jpg