Toronto Casa | 147.52m | 46s | Cresford | a—A

A slightly overexposed Casa by night. Blu can be seen just behind Casa to the left.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

good work there DT using the settings I had suggested. The image is virtually noise free plus you got the interesting motion blur on the clouds with the long exposure time. I grabbed the image and gave it a slight sharpening in photoshop and some highlights and shadows adjustment and it looks great. I wouldnt say this is over exposed at all. When you do a single exposure at night you will always get some things under and some things over exposed. Once you get a bit more acquainted with your cameras settings you might try taking multiple exposures and then digitally blending them for a perfect result... keep up the good work!

I hope you dont mind me posting my retouched version. Just wanted you to see how important the processing part is for making a photo that really pops...

4297581923_11a36a05ba.jpg

Last edited:
I agree! great night capture!

The skyline of Yorkville is looking great! Crystal blu looks really good! too bad Uptown is blocked out by Casa... oh well! Casa looks like a tank from this angle!

And boy is Yonge/Bloor bright! it kinda reminds me of the same effect Yonge/Dundas has on the other side of downtown... cool!

And the retouching really makes everything POP! i never retouch my photos cause i'm lazy.. maybe one day i'll try.... Can you use photoshop for that?

good work there DT using the settings I had suggested. The image is virtually noise free plus you got the interesting motion blur on the clouds with the long exposure time. I grabbed the image and gave it a slight sharpening in photoshop and some highlights and shadows adjustment and it looks great. I wouldnt say this is over exposed at all. When you do a single exposure at night you will always get some things under and some things over exposed. Once you get a bit more acquainted with your cameras settings you might try taking multiple exposures and then digitally blending them for a perfect result... keep up the good work!

I hope you dont mind me posting my retouched version. Just wanted you to see how important the processing part is for making a photo that really pops...

Actually I did take multiple shots, I've got learn how to do layers in Photoshop Elements.
Nice re-touch too, I don't mind at all, honored actually :)

Ran across this yesterday. Bloor East looking south. The red arrow denotes what is now the Sanctuary on Charles. CASA is now immediately to the left. The old house under the arrow is gone but the low rise to the left of it (St. Charles Court) is still there.

casaold.jpg

Ran across this yesterday. Bloor East looking south. The red arrow denotes what is now the Sanctuary on Charles. CASA is now immediately to the left. The old house under the arrow is gone but the low rise to the left of it (St. Charles Court) is still there.

casaold.jpg

That's a very interesting shot, I've never seen a shot of the subway being constructed through this area. This shows how the subway veered east off Yonge Street south of Wellesley Street and runs under the series of parkettes south of Charles Street, which were previously parking lots & the HBC. I see the former Town Cinema there on the far left on Bloor Street where the Signature On Bloor condos now stand.

Not to get too far off this thread but here's where the Yonge subway veers off Yonge at Alexander. This is why you hear all that screeching when you're on the subway around Carlton/College.

subwayalex.jpg

Here's a distant shot of Casa (and a bunch of other stuff) from my office window. Sorry it's so small but the bb has no zoom.

4314688944_c5e1d8effc_b.jpg

In the Star today, Hume gave it an 'A'.......

The Star Condo Critic: Hume

CASA CONDOMINIO RESIDENZA, 33 CHARLES ST. E.:

Aside from its ridiculous name, this is an unusually elegant structure. Toronto has no shortage of glass towers, of course, but even before it's fully finished, this one stands out, and not just because it's 45 storeys tall, though that certainly doesn't hurt. What makes it so architecturally compelling is the utter simplicity of the design and the attention to detail.

Some might complain that the building doesn't fit in with its neighbours, but which ones? The street is already a bit of a mish-mash, so there's little to be done in that regard. On the other hand, the new condo does present a compelling case for the tower on a podium model that Toronto planners seem to love so much. This time around, the tower sits atop a large five storey glass box that comes out right to the sidewalk. Because the services have been located on the east side of the building accessible by a laneway, there's nothing to interrupt the purity of the front facade.

The tower, which has balconies that run the full length on all four sides, rises uninterrupted from top to bottom. It is capped with a flat roof-like structure that provides an emphatic sense of termination to the building. Many modern towers, of course, just seem to stop, as if the builders had run out of materials. This condo reminds us of the potential of the roof; it doesn't have to be peaked to be interesting.

GRADE: A

Good review from Hume (no surprise there) but what's the rush? If he needs to express himself I wish he'd just create a user-name and join UT, otherwise wait for buildings to be completed so that he can write an accurate critique on finished product. He did this with London on the Esplanade and a few others which were also incomplete.

I wonder where his review of BSN is?

Back