Toronto CampusOne Student Residence (was University Place) | 79.85m | 25s | Knightstone | Diamond Schmitt

UTSG, UTM, and UTSC all expanded due to the double cohort and to general rises in university enrollment. Actual "diversion" of undergrads hasn't really started yet, but it could if grad program expansions push undergrads out of downtown. Have any departments or programs actually moved to UTM/UTSC or is the growth there just that, growth [of existing programs]?

Newmarket is basically full now, but if York was ever looking at another campus in Newmarket, it was probably eyeing the most inaccessible field they could find along Bathurst.

With this proposed residence, though, if it's an independent residence, it might end up being filled largely with Ryerson, OCAD, George Brown, etc., students.

As far as I know, no programs have moved out of St George. IIRC, the move is to making UTM and UTSC more independent of St George. But it's been a few years since I was in university.

UTM is opening a medical school I believe. But UTM is still a part of the Faculty of Arts & Science. I don't know if they plan to change that. It would be interesting to see some long-term plans from the University.

That is more or less the rumoured, long-term vision of David Naylor, to turn the downtown campus into a grad-only campus, and disperse the undergrads to Scarborough and UTM. As an example, during the four years I worked at UTSC enrolment doubled, from 5000 to 10,000, and given the new round of building going on there (plus the Pan-Am facilities), it will probably hit 15,000 by 2015 or thereabouts. So this process is already happening.

Expanding enrolment at the suburban campuses is definitely a priority, and I expect that's where the bulk of undergraduate growth will occur in future years, but with the number of undergraduate colleges firmly entrenched on the U of T campus (Trinity, St. Mike's, Vic, etc.), I doubt that completely removing undergrads from the St. George campus is at all possible.

Side note: I was a TA at both UofT Missisauga (then called "Erindale") and U of T Scarborough in the mid-90s. The change in these campuses since then is astounding. They are quickly moving from being mere "branches" to virtually full-fledged universities in their own right.

I'm curious what's the rationale behind moving students out of UofT St. George and making it grad only ?

Is space the issue or do they want to sell off a lot of buildings / land they own ? I can't imagine taking all the current undergrad buildings and making them grad only i.e. there can't be that much demand for a grad programs to completely replace all the undergrad facilities.

Or is the idea more along the lines of: Keep the undergrad population downtown the same and expand the grad population only - any new undergrad expansion should go to UofT S / M campuses ?

They've built a lot of new facilities downtown (and are still doing so) over the last 10 years - were most of these for the grad level ?

I know UTM is working to have more graduate studies and such, but yeah undergrad is definitely growing at UTM at least (I imagine for UTSC as well).

Undergrad is way too entrenched at St. G for it to ever disappear. It's simply...unimaginable. I don't think there's any plans whatsoever in anyone's mind to eliminate undergraduates from St G. Cap the numbers where they are now, sure, since St G is already more than large enough.

I'm not overly familiar with UTM and UTSC so I don't even know if they have lecture halls like Con Hall with space for 1000+ students in a class.

Toronto isnt the only city proposing a large university tower..

Chicagos Consortinaed University Tower

Roosevelt University is planning a new high-rise tower that will accommodate hundreds of students in a new glass clad dormitory.

Standing at 421-425 South Wabash, the scheme will have 32 floors and rise to 143 metres, a middling height for Chicago. It's been designed for the John Buck Company, who are developing it on behalf of the university, by architecture firm VOA.

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=2555

Portsmouth Blade In Depth

The joint development between the University of Portsmouth and the Watkins Jones Group will have a university and teaching facility for the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences with 4,629 square metres of space. This makes up the low-rise element of the scheme.

The second building is a tower with 33 floors above ground that will rise to a height of 95 metres, making it the same size as the existing Gunwharf Quays, Portsmouth's tallest habitable building, the tower has been designed to provide accommodation for 598 students.

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=2767

I understand that Knightstone is proceeding to give notice to tenants in the existing self-storage facility to move out. Demolition can't be far away.

Meanwhile, I also understand from an anonymous but well-placed source that the University (even though this isn't their project) are trying to exert a bit of pressure behind the scenes to get the size of the proposal drastically reduced. Not really much of a surprise; as discussed here, the project seems, to many people, to be quite out of place at this location. This may be turning into an interesting case study on development in the downtown area, although not quite what you might call the "core".

I understand that Knightstone is proceeding to give notice to tenants in the existing self-storage facility to move out. Demolition can't be far away.

Meanwhile, I also understand from an anonymous but well-placed source that the University (even though this isn't their project) are trying to exert a bit of pressure behind the scenes to get the size of the proposal drastically reduced.

Either way you will probably see something around 30 storeys for this location.
Seems like towns in England are having no problem building these tall student residences in heritage neighbourhoods......http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=2860

UTSG, UTM, and UTSC all expanded due to the double cohort and to general rises in university enrollment. Actual "diversion" of undergrads hasn't really started yet, but it could if grad program expansions push undergrads out of downtown. Have any departments or programs actually moved to UTM/UTSC or is the growth there just that, growth [of existing programs]With this proposed residence, though, if it's an independent residence, it might end up being filled largely with Ryerson, OCAD, George Brown, etc., students.

Most of the remaining fields along Bathurst are protected greenspace, IIRC. The likeliest place for a campus in Newmarket would be the huge farm directly adjacent to the Upper Canada Mall. It's actually not a bad location, because it's right across from the GO Bus Terminal, quick-shuttle bus from GO Train Station, Viva Blue on Yonge, and soon-to-be Viva Rapidway on Davis Drive. I've always thought it would be a good place for the long-rumoured university campus. Years ago it was supposedly going to be in Queensville.

Glenway Golf Course, right across the street, which was recently sold to a developer, is already putting a plan in motion to develop commercial / mid-rise / high-rise along that same corridor.

Last edited:
Most of the remaining fields along Bathurst are protected greenspace, IIRC. The likeliest place for a campus in Newmarket would be the huge farm directly adjacent to the Upper Canada Mall. It's actually not a bad location, because it's right across from the GO Bus Terminal, quick-shuttle bus from GO Train Station, Viva Blue on Yonge, and soon-to-be Viva Rapidway on Davis Drive. I've always thought it would be a good place for the long-rumoured university campus. Years ago it was supposedly going to be in Queensville.

East Gwillimbury has kept lands designated for a post-secondary institution in their new Official Plan in the Queensville Area.

I've heard that they're down to 22 floors.

I guess they are going for 24 floors...........from DCN

STUDENT RESIDENCE TOWER, RETAIL
Proj: 9132020-3
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
PREPARING PLANS
University of Toronto Residence Building, 240-245 College St, Spadina Ave, M5T
$35,000,000 est
Note:
This project is very preliminary. Architect has resubmitted city council rezoning applications. The scope of work is under review and is subject to change. Schedules for working drawings, tender for general contractor and construction pending approvals. Further update spring 2012.
Project:
proposed construction of a student residence building for the University of Toronto. The building will feature space for 570 beds in 230 suites that will be one to four-bed units.
Scope:
279,861 square feet; 24 storeys; 230 units; 6 acres
Development:...New
Category:...Apartment bldgs; Retail, wholesale services

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/...d6f3495e6af2&projectid=9132020&region=ontario

Back