Toronto Burke Condominiums | 163.4m | 53s | Concert | Arcadis

By contrast, Castle Frank -- and I assume a lot of people in the eastern towers in this complex might choose to go there if there was a westerly exit -- is the least used subway stop I've encountered on the Bloor-Danforth line (I now live out at Pape, so I go by it twice a day). Incorporating Castle Frank into this new complex would, if I were in charge somewhere, be a priority.

Given the street/ped configurations, it'd take more than a westerly exit--maybe, shall we say, a PATH-like underground (overground?) connection to the complex being discussed in this thread...

The Design Review Panel will be hearing a presentation from Peter Clewes from aA tomorrow (April 19) at Toronto City Hall in Committee Room 2 at about 1:25 p.m.

Yes. Please go, and report back!

The Design Review Panel will be hearing a presentation from Peter Clewes from aA tomorrow (April 19) at Toronto City Hall in Committee Room 2 at about 1:25 p.m.

Wait, I'm confused. Today's the 19th, didn't this meeting already happen then? If it did, that would be too bad because I was really hoping to hear more about the design of these towers.

Ahhh what the hell, i42's response never showed up for me until now. And as a result, I did not go to the damned meeting because I thought it was not for the public but just for the DRP. Gahhh.

I've mentioned it before in another thread, but I had an idea that the abandoned Victorian houses lining the west side of Glen Road should be fully restored into a little restaurant strip along the lines of wonderful Baldwin Village or Mirvish Village, made extra cozy by the fact that it's a dead end street. There would still be plenty of room for the 3 proposed towers, so I don't see a need for demolishing these lovely old houses. It's a great opportunity to bring something cool to a neighbourhood that doesn't have anything of the sort. Wouldn't that be neat?

I hope you're listening, Peter Clewes!

Well it looks like some of these old houses will be history.

6 GLEN RD

Rental Housing Demolition & Conversion 11 194035 STE 00 RH Ward 28
- Tor & E.York May 12, 2011 --- --- --- ---

Rental Housing demolition application to dwmolish - 7 dwelling units ( 5 rental units contained in different buildings) see 10 247063 STE for rezoning. Official Plan and Zoning by law amendment to permit the redesignation and rezoning of lands in order that they may be re-deveoped in three blocks for the pruposes of mixed uses.

Notice the reference to dwelling units, i.e. they may, just may, maintain the fronts (unless they don't)

This is a shame.

Whatever is build here will in no way meet the charm of what these row houses add to the street.

Take two seconds to check the appropriate documents before airing annoying and incorrect assumptions about what may or may not be built.

Page 9 of this document indicates that the houses will be rebuilt and with great attention to detail. It's really just the practical outworking of hiring the best firm in the city.

Community Meeting

There's an upcoming Community Consultation Meeting for this project, scheduled for:
Monday, November 7, 2011, 7-9 pm at St. Simon-the-Apostle Anglican Church, 525 Bloor Street East, Parish Hall.

I might just show up to speak in favour of this development. Local residents (mainly from Howard Street and St. Jamestown) are marshalling their resources to oppose it and have set up a website:

http://smartdevelopmentinnorthstjamestown.com

As you might expect, they are up in arms about the project's height, density and lack of "greenspace".

There's an upcoming Community Consultation Meeting for this project, scheduled for:
Monday, November 7, 2011, 7-9 pm at St. Simon-the-Apostle Anglican Church, 525 Bloor Street East, Parish Hall.

I might just show up to speak in favour of this development. Local residents (mainly from Howard Street and St. Jamestown) are marshalling their resources to oppose it and have set up a website:

http://smartdevelopmentinnorthstjamestown.com

As you might expect, they are up in arms about the project's height, density and lack of "greenspace".

This really makes me laugh. That piece of land has been rundown for years. How have the people in that area benefited from the "greenspace" or the rundown structures? I guess I can somewhat underfstand the height concerns...but still, there are several 30+ storey buildings in the aea. Hope this one goes ahead.

The second public meeting for Lanterra's massive North St. Jamestown development meeting was last night. Anyone attend?

TheTorontoBlog gives a good break down of the proposed buildings, with photo tour of existing properties.

http://thetorontoblog.com/2011/11/0...wn-faces-2nd-public-feedback-meeting-tonight/

4-tower condo proposal for North St James Town faces 2nd public feedback meeting tonight

07 Nov 2011

The meeting, the second to be held this year, will give the public an opportunity to hear revised plans for the massive condo project that Lanterra Developments has proposed for three blocks of a long wedge-shaped area bounded by Bloor, Parliament, Howard and Sherbourne Streets. In a rezoning application filed with the City on August 25 2010, Lanterra outlined bold development plans that would revitalize three separate blocks of land at the northern perimeter of the St James Town district with four towers designed by Peter Clewes of Toronto’s architectsAlliance.

Block 1: Northeast corner of Sherbourne and Howard Streets

For this area, the developer proposed a 390-unit condo complex featuring a 50-storey tower, 7-storey podium and 5 levels of underground parking with 288 spaces. The tower would rise next to the Anson Jones House, a Queen Anne-style heritage building designed by Edmund Burke that sits on the corner of Sherbourne and Howard at 603 Sherbourne. The podium would include retail space along Sherbourne Street, while a 3-story mixed use building located along Howard Street would be linked to the complex.

Block 2: Glen Road between Howard and Bloor Streets

The west side of this leafy one-block-long section of Glen Road is noteworthy for six semidetached brick houses which have been boarded and bricked up for decades. Under Lanterra’s proposal, these homes would be restored for residential use, though rear portions of the buildings would be demolished to allow for construction of a 5-storey apartment building with 41 units along with 15 above-ground parking spots and 17 below-ground spaces.

Block 3: From Edgedale Road to Parliament Street

This long stretch of land between Howard and Bloor Streets would feature three condo towers on the eastern end of the property along with a 2-storey amenity and service building at the site’s southwest corner at Edgedale and Howard. The west tower would be 56 storeys tall with 630 units; the middle tower would be 46 floors with 425 units, and the east tower would rise 53 stories and contain 348 units. The complex would have 5 levels of underground parking with 869 spaces. A heritage building at 76 Howard Street would have to be demolished to make way for the three skyscrapers.

Last edited:
Ahhh! I would have loved to have gone to that meeting! I still can't quite wrap my head around this massive proposal and would have loved to have seen it broken down and explained, as well as see more renderings!

Last edited:

Back