Toronto Bridgepoint Hospital | 61.87m | 10s | Bridgepoint Health | Diamond Schmitt

26 June 2010: Is this the crane for this project?

dsc09867d.jpg

Make it 3.

Looks like the old Don Jail is part of this development. Nice to know that's one heritage building we aren't letting crumble.

Attachments

• IMG_1029.jpg
    IMG_1029.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_1031.jpg
    IMG_1031.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_1030.jpg
    IMG_1030.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_1028.jpg
    IMG_1028.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 272
It wasn't possible to reuse the existing Modernist building, the floor to ceiling heights are too low for a modern hospital. In addition, the limitations of the building interior meant not enough light for patients to meet current care standards.

The Don Jail refurb is extensive and I think will be very impressive to UT members when complete. It is being converted to offices for the hospital.

It's amusing/ironic/odd that the old hospital was unsuitable to retain, but the jail wasn't.

It's amusing/ironic/odd that the old hospital was unsuitable to retain, but the jail wasn't.
The jail is being used for administrative purposes not health care. All healthcare services will be in the new building.

The jail is being used for administrative purposes not health care. All healthcare services will be in the new building.

Yeah, I realize that's the case -- it just seems odd to say that the new hospital found the old hospital unsuitable, but not the old jail.

So the Modernist building can't be reused for a hospital, let it be office or research space in conjunction with some health care company or organization. We're talking about valuable architectural heritage here.

But we're also talking about *more* valuable architectural heritage here--that's why Don Jail made the cut, and the half-round didn't.

Not that I'm advocating that solution; I'm only reporting on it...

Well, if keeping only one of the two was the only option, then the old jail wins hands down, easily. That being said, I did find the the curved building interesting.

A long time since any reporting on Bridgepoint--all said that needs to be?

There was a lot of heat about not saving the curved building too; reported at the beginning of this thread. Having visited a patient in that building, the large curved windows gave nice views and made the room seem bigger. However, construction was dated, the building is difficult to maintain and it was not in the budget for restoring two old buildings as Towered has noted above.

I have not been by recently to see the construction, but from the Hospital's website, www.bridepointhealth.ca, there are webcams that show the progress on the new building from three different points on the old (curved) building.

Back