Toronto Boutique Condos | 106.37m | 35s | Urban Capital | ZAS Architects

• Thread starter superdeduperawesome
  • Start date
Not a great looking building, but not bad either. Maybe now University Plaza will shrivel and die in it's shadow.

Oddly enough, I find that the exterior pattern of the tower would be more successful if it were taller.

And yes, University Plaza recedes from easy viewing, turrets and all.

The city's local area plan for the King/Spadina area calls for only mid-rise projects in this area to mesh with the existing buildings better.

Considering we have 35-storey buildings going in just east of King/Spadina, as well as the 50+ storey Lightbox at King/John, the mid-rise character of the area already seems doomed.

All of the tall projects mentioned above are on the edges of the area the city was intending to protect.

Just to be persnickety, the Lightbox is only 5 floors tall - it's Festival Tower that rises above it another 37 floors that you are referring to. Because the first 5 floors are basically double height, Festival Tower peaks out at the height of a normal 47 floor condo. Daniels had originally wanted another 5 floors on that project but were not given it by the City. That one did not go to the OMB as far as I remember.

The 35 floor building you are referring to is (the 34 floor I believe) M5V Life? The City didn't want to give them that height there either, but TAS was granted the full height by the OMB in that case too.

The City has been prepared to allow 20-ish floor high towers in the area. Boutique obviously was amongst that group that includes the Hudson and Gläs and the as-yet-unnamed-and-unmarketed project that will be going up on Widmer around the corner from Festival Tower. With Boutique and M5V Life's recent wins at the OMB, one has to wonder if other developers in the area will decide to fight for more height too, and whether the City will continue to fight for lower limits in an area where the OMB has dealt contemptuous responses to the City's plans.

Yes, I was referring to M5V Life, and Hudson 2, also planned at over 30 storeys, at King/Charlotte.

Protecting the midrise character of the area would, of course, make total sense as it is one of the very few areas of the city that have that feel. It is frustrating that the city has no power to impose a vision anywhere wrt development, and I was mostly reacting to the fact that a tall building certainly makes a lot more sense at the Boutique site than around the King/Spadina intersection, where they dwarf existing brick midrises. I overlooked the history you've now outlined, in which the city has actually acted consistently, but the overall effect of their disagreements with the OMB make the whole exercise pointless and very frustrating to watch.

bit of an update. pics are from today

DSC04998.jpg

DSC04999.jpg

DSC05000.jpg

DSC05001.jpg

DSC05003.jpg

Expected Occupancy Date

It's pretty obvious that the condo won't be ready for September 2008 occupancy given the current state of construction. My prediction is for sometime in Spring/Summer 2009. What do you guys think?

With the height approval I think you are within a pretty accurate range. Could it be that the Sept. 2008 occupancy projection (aside from being a complete farce) was for the low-mid rise structure?

With the height approval I think you are within a pretty accurate range. Could it be that the Sept. 2008 occupancy projection (aside from being a complete farce) was for the low-mid rise structure?

That is the phase that I was referring to. I recently spoke to a sales agent at Boutique and was told that they were estimating phase II to be completed in late 2008/early 2009. However, given the recent height increase, they are now saying that the phase II will be completed in late 2009/early 2010.

So I guess that excavator poised in mid-air above flat dirt means phase II (the tower) is about to begin? Goody. With that and the Aspen Ridge project at coin Nelson/Duncan a few of Clubland's most obnoxious parking lots will be gone.

Two updates:

1) Tentative occupancy for Phase I is now scheduled to begin in September 2009. Original date was for September 2008
2) Groundbreaking for Phase II will begin in April. Sales office will apparently be moved to the parking lot across the street.

Back