Toronto BMO Field Renovations | ?m | ?s | MLSE | Gensler

On paper you're right, but if you look at how it was designed as a soccer-specific stadium right off the bat (requiring part of it to be torn down for allow the Argos to play), how the main colour scheme is red rather than blue, and how the Argos dressing room is in an awful location with no direct field access, I'd say it is functionally and emotionally still more TFC's than the Argos.

It was designed and built with football in mind and has had its pitch ruined ever since those fake rugby cats moved in.

I can agree on your last point though......my maturation process is ever ongoing.
Yes, as I said, it was built for soccer despite the original intent for it to be for football as well. The renovations bring it closer to what it was supposed to be. The branding is all TFC but now that MLSE owns the Argos too I wouldn't be surprised to see that change at some point.

The Argos aren't going anywhere. Even in the team's current state there's no way the league would give up a presence in the country's biggest city.

At the bottom of this article https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...rugby-league-europe-cities-million-pound-game

is this:

Argyle’s plans for world domination do not end there. He wants to bring international rugby to Toronto next year, with the 30,000-capacity BMO Field, home of Toronto FC, a venue Argyle believes would “sell out in a heartbeat”. “If we get promoted, our target is 15,000 visiting fans next year,” he says. “That would mean UK-based arrivals at Pearson Airport would increase by 14.5% and room occupancy would be up by 2% just because of the Wolfpack.”

... so the Toronto Wolfpack do want to play in BMO, at the very least to accommodate away fans.

Does the the city have any issues if a private consortium proposed to expand Lamport Stadium to 25-30k?

I bet that would cause nimby-ish to reach a high that would never be seen again... however I do think a 20-22K Lambeau is the way to go... except it would likely require a total rebuild of the stadium.

A necessity due to two teams playing on the same field?

Toronto's BMO Field undergoes transformation into a hybrid playing surface
When it’s all done, about five per cent of the surface will be artificial with the roots of the real grass attaching to the fibres. And BMO Field will join Green Bay’s Lambeau Field — the only other stadium in North American with SISGrass — and London’s Wembley Stadium among others with a hybrid surface.
For Heggie, the new hybrid grass should deliver a firmer, truer, more consistent playing surface — something Toronto FC players have been clamouring for. The big bodies in the CFL trenches should find the field will not move below them as they butt heads.
But he admits he now has all the bells and whistles a groundskeeper can ask for — including underground heating and sensors, an upgraded irrigation system and an array of grow-lights that can cover 60 per cent of the field.

The hybrid surface will also allow him to transition from bluegrass, which offered “structure” in winter, to perennial ryegrass, used by English Premier League teams.

“Soccer players prefer perennial ryegrass,” said Heggie. “They say it’s greasier. When they slide on it, they feel like they slide better.”
The hybrid surface should last 10 years. And to ensure the artificial fibres don’t get damaged when the grass is cut, Heggie’s crew will use state-of-the-art walk-behind electric mowers, rather than riding mowers.

A necessity due to two teams playing on the same field?

The article also mentions Lambeau Field and it has only one major tenant: the Green Bay Packers. It would be interesting if MLS were to come to Wisconsin, either in Milwaukee or in Green Bay.

.. there are english soccer teams that use a hybrid surface. Heck even Barcelona uses a Hybrid surface.

Most soccer teams that use hybrid don't ground share with a football team. That's why it works.
Just look at Wembley after the London NFL game, it's a mess. Tottenham's new stadium went so far as to create a retractable soccer pitch with artificial turf hiding underneath for that exact reason.

Just look at Wembley after the London NFL game, it's a mess. Tottenham's new stadium went so far as to create a retractable soccer pitch with artificial turf hiding underneath for that exact reason.

Exactly. This new system will fail just the same, eventually.

The NFL actually paid for the turf and the technology to switch the fields around.

Back