Toronto BMO Field Renovations | ?m | ?s | MLSE | Gensler

Its present state as a world cup hosting facility isn't up for debate. It clearly doesn't have the minimum capacities.

Yes there is clearly going to be an expansion but how are you sure it is any more than simply erecting temporary bleachers in the south and north ends? Where is the description of the works for a more permanent expansion and quality improvement? Where is the budget for this and who is paying for it?

I suppose you're right, there isn't an indication that there won't be simply temporary bleachers for the North and South, but I highly doubt that alone would be enough to bring it to 45,000. To me, the completely rebuilt East stand is the only complete section of the stadium. It used to be that single stand, built in steel, but since the expansion it was rebuilt as a two-tiered grandstand in concrete, built right up to the extent of the roof. Actually MetroMan's post wonderfully highlighted this as the first image was replaced by the large stand in the second image. What you see in the first image hasn't been there since 2014, however the second tier of the west stand is still built like that. Which leads me to believe that they could rebuilt the west stand, at least the whole second tier along with the press box with relative ease.

West-stand-concourse-bmo-field.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/83/West-stand-concourse-bmo-field.jpg

26218305753_8b6f014bbb_h.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7057/26218305753_8b6f014bbb_h.jpg

If we look at the initial plans from the expansions, there seems to be an indication of a permanent North end addition, along with a roof. This configuration however would still not bring us to 45,000, and if they want to introduce safe standing, that would likely mean rebuilding the South stand, as those stands tend to be at a steeper angle. Still plenty of room to work with though with how tall the roof is though, which is why I have the suspicion that it was built that way because they had further expansion in mind.

bmo40k.png

https://argosadmirals.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/bmo40k.png

bmoroof.png

https://argosadmirals.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/bmoroof.png

Safe Standing in Orlando
orlando_city_stadium03.jpg

http://stadiumdb.com/pictures/stadiums/usa/orlando_city_stadium/orlando_city_stadium03.jpg

And in Los Angeles
Exp+draft-2.jpg

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...852299cf3e1503f/1516154122731/Exp+draft-2.jpg

BMO for reference
HIPLA_BMO_Field_14_160723_2x3.jpg

http://www.entuitive.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/HIPLA_BMO_Field_14_160723_2x3.jpg

Last edited:
Big deal. It's time to end the ridiculous overbuilding of $billion stadiums around the world for such a corrupt and despicable organization. Back to basics please.

That's actually one of the reasons why Fiifa is considering having Canada, Mexico and the US host together. the US will host most of the major matches in NFL stadiums well Canada and Mexico will host the qualifying matches

Craven Cottage is a good comparison in its own way. BMO Field looks like a contemporary version of the old European stadiums that grew organically over the decades. A number of them have been replaced in recent years by deep pocket clubs. The replacements are sports palaces. Copying them might bankrupt less wealthy clubs, or their cities, or both. BMO field serves its market niche well but admittedly isn't a World Cup ready facility.

That's compatible with what I'm arguing. BMO Field serves its purpose for a still small, yet growing sports league. But it's absolutely not World Cup class. It's just not. The World Cup is The Big Show, the top of the top in that sport. It'd be like hosting the Stanley Cup playoffs in a little league arena.

That's compatible with what I'm arguing. BMO Field serves its purpose for a still small, yet growing sports league. But it's absolutely not World Cup class. It's just not. The World Cup is The Big Show, the top of the top in that sport. It'd be like hosting the Stanley Cup playoffs in a little league arena.
BMO isn't hosting the world cup at max we are hosting four games. Three from the qualifying rounds and one from the round of 16. They don't need major capacity for those rounds. Also the reason FIFA is looking at the north American bid is because it speeds the games across existing stadiums and none are being built that won't be used again.

Phone shots from this evening:
20180504_203200.jpg
20180504_203229.jpg
20180504_213217.jpg

Attachments

• 20180504_203200.jpg
    20180504_203200.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 1,142
  • 20180504_203229.jpg
    20180504_203229.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 806
  • 20180504_213217.jpg
    20180504_213217.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 1,285
Well, the World’s eyes will be on Toronto. I really hope that there’s a significant upgrade to the stadium’s finishes and to the Exhibition grounds.

This might hasten the landscaping work and land bridge planned to connect Exhibition Place to Ontario Place. It might also get Doug Ford to think twice about cancelling the revitalization of Ontario Place itself.

Around the time of the MLS Cup, President Bill Manning addressed the topic of a future expansion and stated that he wanted to get the stadium up to a permanent capacity of 40,000 (The UrbanToronto article referenced a temporary solution). One of the main pushes is apparently to demolish the south side and replacing it with safe-standing (see Orlando's stadium above) which would have pull down seats for events like the world cup, and with much a much steeper grade. If it were to be expanded as well, and go up towards the height of the roof, I could certainly see another 5,000 seats being added right there alone.

https://www.wakingthered.com/toront...ld-expansion-safe-standing-2026-world-cup-bid

I know it's been a couple years since the most recent failed Toronto NFL bid (with Bon Jovi no less), but I wonder if a new stadium gets floated to house a potential NFL team and these World Cup games. BMO is great for MLS, but a bit small scale for the World Cup, as I imagine most of the US games will be played in 60 - 70k NFL stadiums. I'm sure it's a real long shot, but a lot can happen in 8 years. And with Rogers Centre becoming baseball only, a new large multi purpose facility could be justifiable down the road.

I know it's been a couple years since the most recent failed Toronto NFL bid (with Bon Jovi no less), but I wonder if a new stadium gets floated to house a potential NFL team and these World Cup games. BMO is great for MLS, but a bit small scale for the World Cup, as I imagine most of the US games will be played in 60 - 70k NFL stadiums. I'm sure it's a real long shot, but a lot can happen in 8 years. And with Rogers Centre becoming baseball only, a new large multi purpose facility could be justifiable down the road.
This would be an excellent opportunity to construct a Super Bowl-ready NFL stadium in Downsview Park that can host a few games for the 2026 World Cup.

However, it would be more likely to add more seats to BMO Field, even if it means building stands above the Food Building.

This would be an excellent opportunity to construct a Super Bowl-ready NFL stadium in Downsview Park that can host a few games for the 2026 World Cup.
The budget for Toronto hosting games is $30-45 million, but sure, let's build an $800 million white elephant in the burbs for an expansion the NFL hasn't committed to.

Would TFC eventually need a bigger stadium (in the 60,000 range)?

Atlanta fills an NFL stadium pretty well for an MLS team.

I would expect that $30-40 million to almost entirely go to BMO field and the surrounding grounds (particularly the 509 stop). Hopefully this also lights a fire under some butts to get cracking on the transit hub up at Pearson - though the Eglinton LRT will certainly not be extended to there by 2026 unless they get started real soon.

Would TFC eventually need a bigger stadium (in the 60,000 range)?
Only American Football teams use stadiums that are in the 50-60K range. The MLS will never have a need for that kind of a massive stadium. So in short, no TFC doesn't need a larger stadium for their needs.

Back