Toronto BMO Field Renovations | ?m | ?s | MLSE | Gensler

So the Argos WON'T be going into BMO

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-mlse-and-federal-government/article18862832/

The future of the CFL in Toronto has been thrown into renewed turmoil after a backroom fight between Ottawa and the country’s largest sports concern.

Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment – owner of the Leafs, Raptors and Toronto FC – has cancelled plans to include the Toronto Argonauts in their renovation of BMO Field.

MLSE had planned a phased, two-year renovation costing $120-million. They had hoped for financial help from all levels of government. That was to include a $10-million loan from the city, and $10-million grants from each of the provincial and federal governments.

As part of that agreement, room would be made to accommodate the larger dimensions of the CFL playing surface, as well as a promise to buy the flagging football team.

However, long after public announcements were made, Ottawa has yet to sign off on its part of the expenditure. Their apparent problem – the optics of funding sports stadiums.

MLSE provided several fig leaves to give the government cover – including parceling the money into grants for expected big events like the Winter Classic and the Grey Cup, planned for BMO Field.

MLSE argued that the construction taxes alone – an anticipated $18-million – made the deal watertight politically. The feds thought otherwise, and continued to delay.

As Ottawa dithered, MLSE lost patience. They will now go ahead without the federal money and, as a direct result, without the Argos.

There is an added element of urgency, as BMO Field must be ready to host rugby matches for next summer’s Pan-Am Games.

New architectural plans have been drawn. A $120-million reno becomes a $100-million one. The arena will be rebuilt to its current dimensions, meaning there will be no north-south extension and no room for football end zones. Ground will be broken in September.

The city is expected to sign off on the revised, soccer-only plan. MLSE has received assurances that the province will do likewise if the Liberal government of Kathleen Wynne survives a June 12th election. Wynne currently leads in the polls.

So...Lamport?? I mean there IS a parking lot in case they had to extend it for additional stands. like, a TON of additional stands

well the Bills lease is iron clad - even though there is a out, you can't have any kind of stadium agreement before that day otherwise it would be the full lease break. I almost wonder if this some kind of ploy .. Argo's need a stadium, Tannabeum gets the Bills .. and viola you now have a perfect reason to build a new stadium without being in violation of the Bills lease..

Lamport has always been the Argos 2nd choice, but then again i don't think the team has any bucks to do anything anymore

I think - have always thought - that a renovated Lamport on game days if the Argo's were there would simply electrify Liberty Village. Hopefully this will happen.

Isn't Lamport a bit too close to residential area. I don't hate the idea but I wonder if that could be a problem, similar with Varsity.

I will never understand why Hamilton and Toronto didn't join together an do a "super stadium" right between the two cities. You could build CFL specific stadium and have both teams play in it (the NFL Jets and Giants do it, why can't them). The Argos always had more of a 905 fan base anyway and instead of your normal 10 home CFL schedule you will have at least 20 home dates between the two teams. But that idea is out the window now

I hate the idea of CFL going into BMO field. It's this annoying aspect we have in this city. We can never have nice things, we always have to appease everybody (multi-purpose) than you just end up disappointment both groups (see Skydome) we are a huge city, we should have the ability to have a sports specific stadium.

Personally now I think the CFL should work with one of our universities. Stop mooching off other existing sports (first Blue Jays and now TFC) they should partner with university football and build a stadium for both (kinda like Montreal has in McGill)

Isn't Lamport a bit too close to residential area. I don't hate the idea but I wonder if that could be a problem, similar with Varsity.

I will never understand why Hamilton and Toronto didn't join together an do a "super stadium" right between the two cities. You could build CFL specific stadium and have both teams play in it (the NFL Jets and Giants do it, why can't them). The Argos always had more of a 905 fan base anyway and instead of your normal 10 home CFL schedule you will have at least 20 home dates between the two teams. But that idea is out the window now

I hate the idea of CFL going into BMO field. It's this annoying aspect we have in this city. We can never have nice things, we always have to appease everybody (multi-purpose) than you just end up disappointment both groups (see Skydome) we are a huge city, we should have the ability to have a sports specific stadium.

Personally now I think the CFL should work with one of our universities. Stop mooching off other existing sports (first Blue Jays and now TFC) they should partner with university football and build a stadium for both (kinda like Montreal has in McGill)

Personally I love going to Argos games, but without a car there's pretty much zero chance I'd venture outside the subway/streetcar lines to see one.

I agree that a revamped Varsity would have been absolutely perfect for it. Odds of a CFL-only stadium in TO though is virtually nil, since this is a franchise that breaks even on a good year. With a franchise value of under $20M, no way any private investor would spend $100M on a new stadium.

Personally I love going to Argos games, but without a car there's pretty much zero chance I'd venture outside the subway/streetcar lines to see one.

I agree that a revamped Varsity would have been absolutely perfect for it. Odds of a CFL-only stadium in TO though is virtually nil, since this is a franchise that breaks even on a good year. With a franchise value of under $20M, no way any private investor would spend $100M on a new stadium.

Honest question...and just wondering......would you venture up to York University to watch the Argos if they moved there for, say, the 2017 season?

Well - given there would be a subway station right there - I would

This has certainly been the trend recently. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but at one point the only way the Feds would provide funding for a new stadium is if it was going to be used, at least partially, for university sports. Building at York would certainly be keeping with that.

On a side note, I've always thought that the perfect location for a new stadium (I was thinking baseball, but I suppose CFL football would work too) is on the southeast corner of Dundas West & Bloor. Suburban-style shopping plaza to the south, and a school right on the corner.

It would have amazing transit connections (subway, GO, and streetcar), would have a very Wrigley Field or Fenway-ish vibe to it, and would really vitalize the Bloor West, Dundas West, and Roncesvalles corridors within walking distance. Orient the stands properly, and you would also have an amazing view of downtown Toronto.

Back