Toronto BMO Field Renovations | ?m | ?s | MLSE | Gensler

e8be3a0e47dbb2230e4375019916.jpeg

http://www.thestar.com/NEWS/article/735528

So I managed to get full season tickets today after 2 years of being forced to buy the partial season with Marlies packs.
I'm so happy about this!
That gold list really worked for me!

The guy on the phone said they have been having talks about opening up some of this new expansion to new season ticket holders after the next year. I wonder if he was just making that up to encourage my season ticket purchase since he knows I'd rather move to cheaper seats when they come available.

I hope it's true though that they are thinking of adding more season seats. They must at least be considering it if he mentioned it.

It's great that they're increasing capacity, but this whole "stadium" has always felt like a composition of temporary bleachers that were made permanent. I hope that Exhibition Place keeps the parking lot next to it free so that when Toronto makes its next bid attempt for an Olympics, we can build a true Soccer + Football stadium next to this one and then demolish the original.

^You mean, football only right? As in footie. As in no throwball. Right? Right?
Yeah, I thought as much. :)

Three more weeks!!! Finally, winter is over.

It's great that they're increasing capacity, but this whole "stadium" has always felt like a composition of temporary bleachers that were made permanent. I hope that Exhibition Place keeps the parking lot next to it free so that when Toronto makes its next bid attempt for an Olympics, we can build a true Soccer + Football stadium next to this one and then demolish the original.

considering the substantial investment the city, MLSE and BMO has placed into this stadium, by [1] simply building it, and [2] adding seats and a grass pitch, i don't think it is going to come down any time soon, even if toronto gets the olympics. in fact, if and when toronto makes another olympic bid, BMO field, in its future form, will probably figure as a "selling point" to the IOC. "nicer seats" can be installed and proper entrances and concession areas can be added to the existing structure. gradual improvements to the building will almost certainly continue. but destroying BMO field for another skydome-like building will be neither politically popular, nor economically feasible.

now you may suggest that a new stadium would have no problem filling itself after the olympics. but even when you consider the rabid nature of tfc fans, and the sport's growing popularity in canada, i think a soccer-specific stadium with a capacity of 50,000 + is excessive for toronto.

Last edited:
Is there any chance of an expansion to 40,000 seats and maybe a match at the 2022 World cup, if the USA gets the chance to host?

1. no. 2. Why would the Americans want us to co-host a World Cup (even if co-hosting means one game)? If you're the Americans, would you want to lose revenue to another country when you can put that same game in a stadium twice as big in the US?

Seriously people, the World Cup is never coming to Canada. Let's give it a rest.

1. no. 2. Why would the Americans want us to co-host a World Cup (even if co-hosting means one game)? If you're the Americans, would you want to lose revenue to another country when you can put that same game in a stadium twice as big in the US?

Seriously people, the World Cup is never coming to Canada. Let's give it a rest.

Aside from that, why would they allow/need a match to be held in a 40k stadium (if we had one) when such cities/stadiums as Chicago/Soldier Field are not part of their bid because (mainly) at 60k it is not big enough! The USA is uniquely able to snap their fingers and produce cities/stadiums that far exceed FIFAs minimum standards.....the last thing they need is to share the event....unfortunately!

There will be more LED's added all to the pitch level for the mls cup roughly about a hundred to line the south, north and east side. These are to stay permanently on the pitch for the next seasons as well. Finally but not confirmed is the east bleachers to have new suites built before the beginning of next season.

Back