Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

im in singapore right now and the greenery here is fantastic. it really transforms the city.

Toronto doesn’t have the advantage of having a year-round tropical climate

TO needs to learn how to imitate the condos here too; all are perfect

Please elaborate. What exactly makes Singaporean condos “perfect†and superior to those being constructed in Toronto?

From the Star, by Hume:

Now we'll all be able to walk the walk on Bloor St.
Jun 16, 2008 04:30 AM
Christopher Hume
Urban Affairs Columnist

Sometime in the next year or two, Bloor Street will finally start to look like what it is – a major urban destination.

After more than a decade of effort, local businesses and the city have hammered out a $20 million plan that will transform Bloor, from Avenue Rd. almost to Church St., into a precinct that is more pedestrian friendly than ever, with a vastly enhanced public realm.

>> snip <<

"It started about 11 years ago," explains Briar de Lange, general manager of the Bloor-Yorkville Business Improvement Area. "Then we discovered the city had this antiquated water system under the street, so they had to rip it up to replace it. That work is almost done now, and we can create a beautiful public realm."

Construction is expected to begin July 14.

By the time the dust settles, in 2009 or '10, the sidewalks of Bloor will be paved in granite. There will be a series of granite planters on both sides of Bloor, each with a tree and a yew hedge. And the poor plants may actually have a shot at survival; they will be provided with the room they need to grow roots.

>> snip <<

Original article:

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/443981

I walked Bloor from Jarvis to Bathurst today. What's done, or close to completion looks great but this project is moving pretty slowly. I can't see this being completed until at least fall of 2010.

I walked Bloor from Jarvis to Bathurst today. What's done, or close to completion looks great but this project is moving pretty slowly. I can't see this being completed until at least fall of 2010.

by which time the city will have a massive backlog of asphalt patches to apply to the sidewalks!

walking through the area on the weekend, I noticed giant granite slabs for sitting that lay on the ends of some (or all?) the tree planters.

a welcomed addition in my opinion.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how durable granite is and what kind of projected life span it has?

In nature it last a very long time. On a Toronto sidewalk it will last until a utility company shows up a couple of weeks from now to lay a new wire or pipe at which time the granite will be destroyed and replaced with asphalt.

Exhibit A - Yonge St.

RICKYSMUMSAPARTMENT-MAY11-09022.jpg

I honestly wouldn't have believed this without a photo.
Surely that will be replaced once the ground settles. Please tell me that will be replaced once the ground settles!
Where is this, Yonge & where?

I think you just came up with a great idea for a new thread!

I think I'm going to be more mindful of the areas beneath my feet and keep an eye on this area, and others with granite pavers. If this area isn't addressed in the next few months I'll be in touch with Mr. Rae about this shameful state of affairs.

That looks like Yonge and Queen, east side by the Style Exchange.

You're right, it's just north of Queen. (East side) Here is the west side and it's not much better. Why are the street light poles practically in the middle of the sidewalk? Sometimes I wonder who runs this city and if their IQs are over or under 100. lol

YONGESTREETSIDEWALKS-MAY2009-12.jpg

The crappy sidewalks go much further south than Queen Street. I think it goes almost to King Street and north of Dundas too. (as well as other streets around the city)

Last edited:

Back