Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

re:BIA Initiative

AoD- That wouldn't be the first time, nor would it surprise me..Disconcerting to say the least, especially because I quite liked the plan BS had for Bloor, as did the Bloor tenants group who spearheaded this- and now this??

What is next? Forgo designers all together and hire PCL?

p5

Re: re:BIA Initiative

No, encourage the City to hire designers so that we may have high quality, city-wide standards of design that treat all neighbourhoods equally, rather than privatizing the process so that rich BIA's get all the money and poor neighbourhoods without BIA's to advocate on their behalf get nothing. A city where poor people don't have to put up with poor standards of design in their little patch of public realm.

^^No I didn't mean that as an option- I just meant that is this what the city is going to do next?

p5

That could be a disaster in the making if bureaucrats take charge of the design elements.

Babel, the last I checked the Opera House didn't get built in Malvern or Riverdale either. It's funny how these things work.

So because Malvern has no BIA and is not going to pay for street inprovements, we shouldn't let the Bloor BIA pay for Bloor street improvements? Heck, let the Bloor BIA pay. That leaves more money to help pay for areas like Malvern that may not have money for street improvements.

Like someone already stated: there is no downside.

There really aren't any retail strips in Malvern that a BIA could oversee.

I agree, blixa442 - all parts of town should have the magic wand of good design waved over them with an equal flourish, not just Queen and University and Bloor Street. Raising the bar, qualitatively, for everyone should be the order of the day, obviously. But why would you assume that anyone would send a pen-pusher to do a designer's job? If the city treats good design as a basic public utility - like providing water - we're closer to achieving excellence all over the city, not just in deep, rich pockets.

bloor street revitalization news

While i respect your egalitarian spirit, building babel, i have to disagree with your conclusions with regard to this project. Every major Western city, regardless of the ideological bent of its inhabitants and government, has its showpiece streets and districts. Toronto is way behind in that area and this has kept its international image dull, provincial, and not particularly attractive. Our downtown streets are our face to the world. It is where international travellers spend their time and where many citizens of this city come to be stimulated and entertained. It should be a place that we delight to be in. This project should only be a beginning to entirely redesign the streets downtown. I'm hoping that it will motivate the other downtown BIA's and maybe big downtown landlords to do the same. Don't get me started on Yonge St.- it's an embarrassment.

Re: bloor street revitalization news

^ very very well-said urbanvillageboy.... our streets are public places that belong to everyone... so if Bloor is pretty its not just pretty for the Bloor BIA it's pretty for the residents of Toronto, whether they live in Malvern, on Post-road or in Riverdale..

Re: bloor street revitalization news

Actually, I quite like the plans that were released a couple of years ago for our Mink Mile. I just wish we could evolve a more inclusive method for this aspect of city-building than one based purely on capital. The more we privatize public space and allow BIA's with different amounts of money at their disposal to dictate what that realm looks like, the more competing visions of that realm we will have across the city - with a hierarchy based on ability to pay for these improvements. In a "bigger picture" sense, I don't see the Thatcher/Reagan 1980's trickle-down economic model as the best way of bringing about designed improvements to public space.

Re: bloor street revitalization

And Chicago has been successful in pulling in the private sector to fund landscape and street improvements.

Though the results are questionable. I don't know if the thread still exists, but someone posted photos of the downtown main street Chicago plantings and they were so precious and "gated community" in nature - fussy, busy jigsaw puzzles of plantlife with mini ravines running through them - like a horticultural equivalent to the dreaded pippypoo- and doodad-laden condos for rich people with "good taste' we're so weary of.

Ostentatious displays of streetscaping like that are just creating ghettos for rich shoppers - which, in turn, speaks volumes about the values of certain cities.

bloor street revitalization

I agree with you Building Babel to the extent that it should be the city spearheading these efforts, if the city could be trusted to do so. Unfortunately, good urban design tends to take a backseat and as others say, we have engineers designing our streetscapes at the city level, not designers with an urbane sensibility. The other point is money. Personally, i think that the city should spend heavily in this area and redo the entire downtown streetscape because it brings a big return in terms of property values and tourism. I also think that it should borrow big funds and build a comprehensive subway system, but that''s whole other issue. However, if the city sees itself as short on cash, then improve the public realm, especially in high priority area, however you can. They can be a lot more innovative than they have to date. In Montreal, you have big pension funds, that invest in real estate, co-funding major streetscape projects, because the value of their property will increase. Montreal's a lot poorer than Toronto, but they are fashioning themselves as a major international tourism centre and their efforts are far more impressive to date than anything Toronto's done. They've got it right even to the extent of how they plant and care for downtown street trees.

It was me. And it is still up, just for you:

Chicago 3: Magnificent Mile and views from Hancock

The pictures in question of the Mag Mile:

MagMile03.jpg

MagMile04.jpg

Holy pippypoos Batman!

MagMile05.jpg

A more perfect example of a gated community for begonias I can't imagine.

Back