Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

The BIA is apparently supportive of bike lanes through this stretch and they are expected to be installed over the next couple of years.

The BIA is apparently supportive of bike lanes through this stretch and they are expected to be installed over the next couple of years.

Really? That would be a reversal from their previously held position. Great news, if true; KWT is supportive of the notion, and it would've been a gap between the planned Church-Sherbourne stretch of bike lanes and the existing Bloor bike lanes.

The finished product
IMG_1182.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1182.JPG
    IMG_1182.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 1,097
I'm no botanist but I had the opposite thought -- that the seats will protect the trees by keeping people, trash and, most importantly, road salt away from the tree base and surrounding soil.

The benches will protect trees from their 3 biggest nemesis: bikes locked to them, salt and dog pee. I’m pretty sure this a gigantic net gain for the trees. Drainage is already provided In the grates and the tree canopy will keep out excess water.

Well I just finished posting about the general shabbiness of Toronto's public realm in another thread but I must say that I like what I see here. This kind of thing is very encouraging.

The benches will protect trees from their 3 biggest nemesis: bikes locked to them, salt and dog pee. I’m pretty sure this a gigantic net gain for the trees. Drainage is already provided In the grates and the tree canopy will keep out excess water.

I no longer have any concern, because the bench doesn't go all the way around, so there is no opportunity for water to pool. (assuming the sloping on isn't egregious, which it doesn't appear to be)

So, given the recent discussion of trees in the Queen's Quay thread, after attending a movie at the Varsity yesterday, I walked the stretch from Yonge to Avenue road and gave the once over to all the trees.

My report, much improved over previous iterations, but not quite problem free.

The section from Yonge to Bay shows a bit of trouble with 5 dead or dying trees in a short stretch. Though there are some in excellent health.

In fact there's something very clear in this stretch, all but one of the troubled trees are in the circular pits; all but one of the trees in the larger open soiled planters were in great health.

The stretch west of Bay was much healthier overall.

Only 7 dead/dying trees from Bay to Avenue.

That's really not too bad at this stage.

The problem seems a bit more acute towards Avenue Rd for no obvious reason, could be a fluke.

Both the Kentucky Coffee trees and the Elms are performing quite well.

The one thing needed here is to review those circular pits to see if there's any way to improve them. I expect salt spray is the primary issue there, though more open soil would probably help too in terms of capturing more precipitation and nutrients.

Side note, I also walked St. George south of Harbord, to College.

Only 2 dead/dying trees and the vast majority in exceptional health with several now above 3 storeys.

We can do street trees properly in this town!

Last edited:
I echo those observations, and it's really the only good news story here as there are now a growing number of temporary (?) asphalt patches from Avenue Road to Church that blight the entire stretch, and just east of Yonge on the south side they've torn into the street yet again. There are also similar patches in front of the Four Seasons on Bay, and along Yorkville where the paving bricks were ripped up just west of Bay, showing once again the seemingly endless incompetence of utility companies in this city to get their act together. In addition the giant patch-up job in front of the Hudson's Bay Centre has also never been addressed either. I'm beginning to wonder why they bothered at all as I've never seen even one granite tile section replaced in the past year.

Incidentally those in charge of the BIA here just may be the most indifferent, negligent, unresponsive and proficient buck-passers I've ever had to deal with. They care nothing for the day-to-day maintenance of the area, only their social media feeds and gee-whiz bang events like the Father's Day auto show.

What has become apparent to me over the years, is the overall lack of upkeep by the city. Once the project is complete, the maintenance ends - other than the required snow-plowing, which is questionable, there is really no limit to the city's neglect. Add to the tally, the numerous attacks from the utility companies - who leave a trail of destruction and asphalt in their wake - destined to remain for the many years to come. Berzcy park is exactly the same as Bloor, and Grange will soon follow. Things will break and become issues that the city will have no funds or will to fix! Who cares - we did our part building the thing. Isn't that enough for you?

Anyone else notice the poor lighting in this area? The lights in the benches and in the ground point upward. If there is nothing to reflect back on, like tree leaves and branches, then the light is lost. Perhaps the intent is to grow a mature canopy of trees so the lighting is warm and effective. In the meantime, I find this stretch of downtown is excessively dark.

Last edited:
Coming to Council this week:

MM44.63
ACTION

836-850 Yonge Street to the Bloor-Yorkville Business Improvement Area for the Bloor Street Revitalization Project - Authorization to Release Section 37 Funds - by Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam, seconded by Councillor Joe Cressy
* This Motion has been deemed urgent by the Chair.
* This Motion is not subject to a vote to waive referral. This Motion has been added to the agenda and is before Council for debate.

Recommendations

Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam, seconded by Councillor Joe Cressy, recommends that:

1. City Council increase the approved 2018 Operating Budget for Non-Program by $2,271,645.00 gross, $0 net fully funded by Section 37 community benefits obtained in the development at 836-850 Yonge Street and 1-9A Yorkville Avenue (Source account XR3026-3700722), for the purpose of forwarding funds to the Bloor-Yorkville Business Improvement Area for capital improvements Bloor Street. (cost centre NP2161).

2. City Council direct that the $2,271,645.00 be forwarded to the Bloor-Yorkville Business Improvement Area, subject to the Business Improvement Area signing an Undertaking governing the use of the funds and the financial reporting requirements.

Summary
In 2010, working with the City of Toronto, the Bloor Street Business Improvement Area completed the transformation of Bloor Street between Avenue Road and Church Street. This $21 million project included a widened boulevard of grey granite pavers, an underground silva cell system to provide the optimum growing environment for over 130 mature trees and over 50 in ground gardens with trees, plantings and decorative up lighting. The project is the largest Business Improvement Area funded project of its kind.

The project has been well received by the community, however the Business Improvement Area was disappointed with the lighting components. This provided an opportunity to seek out a creative solution with higher quality components, greater visual impact, and reduced ongoing maintenance requirements.

In the fall of 2016, the Bloor-Yorkville Business Improvement Area sent out an Request for Proposal to a select group of reputable, lighting design firms, to source who would be interested in working to make this section of Bloor Street more beautiful through the use of light. The winning proposal was based on an inventive design which incorporated lighting with street furniture.

The benches are intended to resemble a campfire, something city dwellers cannot regularly engage with. Once a person sits on the bench, the lights within it, begin to dance like the light of a campfire. Colours can be easily programmed to match with various holiday times or can be rotated, much like the lighting seen on the CN tower and the Bloor Street viaduct. The benches will provide an engaging place to sit, a unique sense of place, and an enhancement to the character of Bloor Street.

In consultation with Transportation Services, it was deemed best to build a single bench, as a pilot project. This was installed in early March of 2018. To date the bench has been well received by the public. It is the intent of the Business Improvement Area to place a number of these interactive benches, along with similarly designed, but non-interactive benches throughout the Bloor St. transformation area.

Section 37 funds in the amount of $4,511,687.87 have been secured from the development at 836-850 Yonge Street and 1-9A Yorkville Avenue. These funds were secured for capital improvements that will benefit the community in the vicinity of the project such as, but not limited to, non-profit licensed daycare facilities, community centres, recreation facilities, libraries, arts related community space, local streetscape improvements, and Yorkville Business Improvement Area capital projects. The funds remain uncommitted and are available for use.

Capital improvements to Bloor Street as a Yorkville Business Improvement Area capital project would comply with the Section 37 agreement and the Council approved Section 37 Guidelines.

The gist of the above:

"It is the intent of the Business Improvement Area to place a number of these interactive benches, along with similarly designed, but non-interactive benches throughout the Bloor St. transformation area."

Sounds great! Anything to add some life to a what turned out to be a rather sterile stretch of streetscape.

Back