Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

So what are the plastic bag things around the trees for? I find them kind of ugly but assumed it was some sort of automatic watering system.

The BIA will maintain the manual watering. They have invested a lot into the improvements to Bloor, and continue to spend significantly on the flowerbeds, and will continue to tend the trees.

The flowerbeds are changed out about four times a year. The trees should become more self-sufficient in a few years though as i42 notes, very little does well with the lack of precipitation we're experiencing this year

The public art for Yonge/Bloor and Bay/Bloor is really behind schedule, it was supposed to be installed in the spring. I emailed the Yorkville BIA a week ago to see what's going on but they didn't reply. Usually they get back to me within a day.

A year later as I was driving by (in heavy traffic) I noticed that there is a substantial difference between the trees planted in the open rectangular soil boxes and those in the individual circular grates. The trees planted in the rectangular soil boxes are doing much better while most of the dead or dying trees are in those individual circular grates.

Coming back from Italy recently it's amazing how trees there (and in many places in the world particularly in more southern climates) can grow out of a nothing crack in the pavement with little watering and still thrive. I guess here in Toronto it's just too dry at street level, particularly with the constant drying wind of the Bloor street building canyon.

I'm hoping that maybe if some of those trees can survive and grow taller they will start to create some shelter and retain some moisture to create a more favourable micro-climate for their struggling neighbours.

Very pleased with how this turned out:

IMG_1659.jpg

IMG_1691.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1659.jpg
    IMG_1659.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_1691.jpg
    IMG_1691.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_1693.jpg
    IMG_1693.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 526
  • IMG_1694.jpg
    IMG_1694.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_1735.jpg
    IMG_1735.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 515
Agreed with how this one has turned out. I love walking along this stretch and wish more areas in the city could look like this.

Wasn't there suppose to be a public art component though ?

Each spring the trees are noticeably larger and have a wider berth of leaves. The landscaping around the trees is also spectacular, truly a great walking street - especially if you can afford to shop at many of these shops!

Back