Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

The issue is probably the ramp needed to get the buses down and up the tunnel. It would have been easier just to keep it for pedestrians and connect buses and pathways at either end if and when the day comes. Even if the airport isn't closed I would imagine there is a way to extend it by about 550m so that it can have a second exit near Hanlan's Point just outside the exclusion zone (and you can probably change the grade of the tunnel so that it doesn't require an extensive escalator/staircase for that entrance/exit)

AoD

Last edited:
The issue is probably the ramp needed to get the buses down and up the tunnel. It would have been easier just to keep it for pedestrians and connect buses and pathways at either end if and when the day comes. Even if the airport isn't closed I would imagine there is a way to extend it by about 550m so that it can have a second exit near Hanlan's Point just outside the exclusion zone (and you can probably change the grade of the tunnel so that it doesn't require an extensive escalator/staircase for that entrance/exit)

AoD

This seems like an argument for a monorail if I've ever heard one ;)

Not to say that Porter doesnt need the money, but here we go again with the stories of theses loans. We'll be lucky to see even 50% of these loans being paid back to the government.

Adam Vaughan

tenor.gif

I am glad the airline is returning to operation, because I think it is important for the GTA to have its own airline based here, increasing oppportunities etc. But I had hoped it would no longer operate out of Billy Bishop. Oh well can't have everything I guess.

Sooo, some interesting news here from Matt Elliott's City Hall Watcher, and Lobbyist Watch.
I want to note that Matt has taken down the paywall for the current issue, which I will link to below.
I will pitch that anyone deeply interesting in the City's internal workings should follow the link; and consider subscribing.

That said.........

Nieuport Aviation who own the terminal (but lease the land it sits on) have begun to lobby the City in earnest.

They have lobbied on more than one subject recently.

The had meeting w/senior staff in the Mayor's office on “works with the City to be a good neighbour and community asset while contributing to the mitigation of impacts from airport operation.”

But they also hired a lobbyist to discuss: “Toronto Islands park expansion and decisions around land use for Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport” with a wish for “collaboration on decisions around park and open spaces.”

On top of that, there is lobbying concerning a proposed pre-clearance customs facility at the airport............which according Matt may be about who should incur the cost for the associated construction.

Link to the entire issue below:

Sounds like good news.
Without knowing exactly what they're hoping to achieve through their lobbying, how would we know?
Are they maybe hoping to arrange some deal where the city agrees to let them expand the airport while offering something in return to the city involving parks and the islands?

If Exhibition Place might in the near future get overhauled into something resembling the apparent plan of Kilmer Group, etc., I wonder if the IndyCar race could use the island airport for one weekend each summer? It would mean Lake Shore Blvd and the rest of Exhibition Place would avoid being temporarily closed and having all those concrete barriers and fences there for about a month. When Cleveland had their race, it was at Burke Lakefront Airport. Detroit and Montreal use island parks for their races one weekend a year.

Last edited:

Back