Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

Airfares on Toronto-Ottawa and Toronto-Montreal are substantially competitive because of Porter and YTZ. And that has economic implications both regionally and nationally. The only real substitute for that effect is rail service that is actually competitive with air. HSR.
Hmm, that's not coming for decades. We don't live in a country known for its fast infrastructure builds. I would much prefer rail service over YTZ (can build over tracks, better for environment) though. I suppose it's up to you.
Knowing how difficult it is to get a new airport built *cough* Pickering *cough*. I am tentative to close down any existing airport.
What benefits are there to Pickering? Pearson is not close to capacity, and there are other airports in the region that can (and should) be expanded first.

I'm curious how much of a spike in ridership UPX would receive with the closure of Billy Bishop. In my experience, a number of regular Porter flyers I know don't live downtown, but in midtown or other areas of the GTA.

Interesting question. Scheduled commercial flights are cancelled but aviation is not grounded. So long as they maintain minimum whatever non-sim hours are required on the aircraft type, somewhere, they should be good.
But the planes are all grounded. I expect globally there will be a lot of small errors, bigger errors (forgot deicing or flaps) and unfortunately some fatal CFIT.

Hmm, that's not coming for decades. We don't live in a country known for its fast infrastructure builds. I would much prefer rail service over YTZ (can build over tracks, better for environment) though. I suppose it's up to you.

What benefits are there to Pickering? Pearson is not close to capacity, and there are other airports in the region that can (and should) be expanded first.

I have made my position on Pickering clear on this forum. This particular post was not meant as supportive of construction of Pickering airport, but instead to use Pickering as an example of the push back there would be from the local community for ANY new airport proposal.

I don't support shutting down Billy Bishop, simply because it is SO difficult to build new airports now.

But the planes are all grounded. I expect globally there will be a lot of small errors, bigger errors (forgot deicing or flaps) and unfortunately some fatal CFIT.
No they're not. The flights are grounded. There are still commercial aircraft flying about. Whether Porter has aircraft spotted at another field solely for training/requal purposes, or has an arrangement with another operator, such as Voyageur, to maintain minimum hours, I don't know.

For sure, many commercial pilots will have to shake off some rust, as will no doubt controllers, schedulers, maintainers, etc.

I would like to see the airport reduced to a narrow strip of land paralleling 08/26, perhaps with some infill east of the apron to take any necessary structures displaced - I have sketched in a line using the distance tool here to illustrate but it might have to move somewhat depending on the structures below the line. It's time for the Port Authority to make a gesture as it appears to me that the land it holds exceeds the operational need for public service transportation and medical flights before 2033. It would likely displace some private traffic to Buttonville (which seems to have nine lives), Brampton, Oshawa etc.

What I am stuck on is the need for the run-up area near the end of what was 15/33. It was placed as far south as possible for a reason. Not sure what the ongoing requirement is here, and how it might be mitigated. But even if the taxiway for 15/33 remained it seems to me that a new boundary could be established with some of the area bounded by taxiway Echo (with the green structure on it), the middle part of 06/24, and the service roads naturalized. Similarly, now that 15/33 has been reduced to a taxiway and assuming as above the closure of 06/24, the current naturalized area west of 15/33 and south of the 06/24 western edge extended north.

Does anyone know if the seaplane facility (CPZ9) also operates under the tripartite agreement? Because having lived under the climbout path of those things noisily staggering into the air to follow the DVP north, that is something I struggle to see a "public service" case to retain.

1623092425696.png

Does anyone know if the seaplane facility (CPZ9) also operates under the tripartite agreement? Because having lived under the climbout path of those things noisily staggering into the air to follow the DVP north, that is something I struggle to see a "public service" case to retain.

Yes, it does but with fewer restrictions from the main airport.

Here's an OCR'd version where you can search for various terms.

Last edited:
Pearson is not close to capacity,

Pearson is actually close to runway capacity (pre-Covid obviously). They manage rather tightly which is why On Time Performance sucks. And they need at least a billion to build a sixth runway. Among many reasons why a closure of YTZ any time soon might be difficult.

There needs to be serious discussion and capital allocated to building the necessary infrastructure that would facilitate the closure of the Island airport.

I do find it funny that people imagine a closed Island Airport would yield park space though. Like developers won't be all over that land trying to condofy it.

I do find it funny that people imagine a closed Island Airport would yield park space though. Like developers won't be all over that land trying to condofy it.
Honestly wouldn't mind some development to make it a year-round destination. The waterfront would definitely be public space.

And.......... @AlexBozikovic has a column out on the future of Billy Bishop............and use of the tunnel to said airport as a means getting people to the current island parks.

Column here: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/art...dy-for-another-pandemic-summer-or-any-summer/

In what may be a sign of the impending apocalypse.......

There's not one thing in the column I disagree with........... ;)

From the column..........a couple of interesting points.

Some discussion here has centred on whether its practical, while the airport remains in operation, to have people cross the runway to access the Islands...............

Well...

1623295942840.png

For the rest......follow the link above!

Back