Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

I wouldn't be surprised if they are thinking something like closing the secondary runway and various taxiways and giving about half the airport to the city in exchange for being able to run jets or something.

If the city was smart they would be able to leverage giving permission to jets in exchange for some concessions. I could see leveraging it for an expanded park area and access through the tunnel to the island if they were smart - but there is probably far too much politics involved.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are thinking something like closing the secondary runway and various taxiways and giving about half the airport to the city in exchange for being able to run jets or something.

If the city was smart they would be able to leverage giving permission to jets in exchange for some concessions. I could see leveraging it for an expanded park area and access through the tunnel to the island if they were smart - but there is probably far too much politics involved.
I really thought that something like this was coming back when Porter was serious about the C-Series, but at this point it would probably take a three level alignment of genuinely conservative governments.

...my guess (total speculation) is, if it is indeed the Porter Airlines buying these planes, they probably already agreed on a lucrative bail-out plan with the Liberal Government, which may include a condition to move all or some of their operations to the Pearson Airport.

Globe and Mail article on Porter's new aircraft purchase and vast expansion.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/bus...as-80-embraer-jets-for-582-billion-in-bid-to/ (not paywalled at time of posting)

I'm going to take this out of order from the article..........

The first thing that jumps out at me is this:

1626158655916.png

Reading that as 'will pay 1B total, but 200M on delivery for the first 30 aircraft'.
Assuming I have that right; That's nearly 50% off the sticker price for those first 30 aircraft, then they get to pay only 20% of that, on delivery.
That annoying commercial with the repeated line "And a free phone for you and you" comes to mind. I want that discount on everything I buy! LOL

Other pertinent excerpts:

1626159165803.png

and

1626159279216.png

Lots more in the column.

80 planes is a huge expansion for them too - they currently only own 29 Dash 8's, so even the base order of 30 new jets represents a doubling of their fleet and much more than that in new seats.

Globe and Mail article on Porter's new aircraft purchase and vast expansion.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/bus...as-80-embraer-jets-for-582-billion-in-bid-to/ (not paywalled at time of posting)

I'm going to take this out of order from the article..........

The first thing that jumps out at me is this:

View attachment 334537

Reading that as 'will pay 1B total, but 200M on delivery for the first 30 aircraft'.
Assuming I have that right; That's nearly 50% off the sticker price for those first 30 aircraft, then they get to pay only 20% of that, on delivery.
That annoying commercial with the repeated line "And a free phone for you and you" comes to mind. I want that discount on everything I buy! LOL

Other pertinent excerpts:

View attachment 334538
and

View attachment 334539

Lots more in the column.
Cue threats of countervailing action by US manufacturers.

Attachments

• 1626204530108.png
    1626204530108.png
    667.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 1626204662329.png
    1626204662329.png
    1,002 KB · Views: 137
I think it's time Porter introduced a new livery, that thing is dull as hell and doesnt exactly look attractive in anyway. You would think one would want to look as attractive as possible when announcing a major expansion plan.

Hopefully more leg room than the Dash 400s.

Also, with the new Pearson slots, I wonder if this spells the end for the detoured YTZ flights to YHM after curfew. This was always a huge risk when taking evening flights Porter flights to YTZ. You were hoping to land a stone's throw from downtown but get stranded next a to a cornfield in Mount Hope, Ontario.

Last edited:
According to this Globe and Mail article (linked below)......the relationship between Billy Bishop's operator and Porter is worse than tenuous, with lawsuits flying.

Additionally, court documents suggest that Porter was looking to cease all operations at Billy Bishop, prior to the pandemic.

I doubt they are lobbying to close the airport down, so it's likely good as far as I am concerned.
I also doubt they would be lobbying to close the airport down, but who knows? The situation still appears to be that the Island Airport likely has no long term future as a passenger airport unless it can be expanded and.the tripartite agreement renewed with new terms. Maybe they can see the writing on the wall and are trying to get something else in return for eventually shutting down the terminal they bought?

Back