Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

YTZ - Billy Bishop last week. Tunnel shots to start the day and then a few shots of the new waiting area/lounge. Two cafe/restaurants and a new 'Hudson News' style store with the usual periodicals, cables, souvenirs and light fare. The last escalator shot bookends the day. Boy I hope that these escalators and walkways don't end up like TTC Spadina Station. There are six cityside elevators which I think is a good bit of thinking for the day when two are out of service at once.

20181121_064942.jpg
20181121_064947.jpg
20181121_065149.jpg
20181121_065215.jpg
20181121_200819.jpg
20181121_200846.jpg
20181121_200859.jpg
20181121_201031.jpg

Last edited:
Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport Brings Home Two Awards
Toronto's downtown airport has picked up a major honour.

Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport was named one of the world's best airports at the Skytrax World Airport Awards, the premier international airport awards voted on by nearly 14 million passengers worldwide. Billy Bishop Airport was ranked the tenth best airport in the world in the under 5 million passenger category, representing the sixth year Toronto's City Airport has won a prestigious Skytrax award
https://ca.travelpulse.com/news/air...onto-city-airport-brings-home-two-awards.html

Living near the airport, we heard plenty of planes landing after curfew. I filed complaints about it on numerous occasions. Maybe it's my fault?

Living near the airport, we heard plenty of planes landing after curfew. I filed complaints about it on numerous occasions. Maybe it's my fault?

There's a difference between "scheduled" and "actual" landings, because of delays. If a flight is delayed at the departure airport (there are many reasons for the delays), wouldn't you want to land even after curfew, instead of being stuck at the departure airport for what-ever hours?

Last edited:
I mean, there aren't a lot of good North American airports or airlines, so it's a low bar, but one that I'd argue Billy Bishop, Pearson, AC, and Porter all clear.

So, take the awards with a grain of salt, yes, but only insofar as it pertains to commentary on the sorry state of North American infrastructure and transportation standards.

As a former New Yorker, I've spent much far too much time toiling in the hellscapes that are LGA/JFK/EWR and far too many hours on the phone with Delta and American customer complaints divisions to too harshly decry what we've got in Toronto/Canada.

There's a difference between "scheduled" and "actual" landings, because of delays. If a flight is delayed at the departure airport (there are many reasons for the delays), wouldn't you want to land even after curfew, instead of being stuck at the departure airport for what-ever hours?
Of course I would. But when you live near the airport, you don't appreciate that noise at midnight (or later) when they tell you that all flights stop at 11 pm. Once in a while, sure, or medivac flights of course, but it was happening on the regular until the community began speaking up. 15-20 minutes after curfew, ok, I get it, but an hour or more?

With Porter Airlines suspending all flights until at least June, do you think it will ever reappear, or is that it?

They never were able to expand the airport runways to permit regional jets (a good thing still), and the IPO got pulled. As a private company, Porter doesn't have to disclose its financials.

I would hope they have some financial depth to their books. Like personal finance, any respectable business should have some cash reserves. With staff laid off and planes grounded, hopefully monthly costs while in shut-down aren't too strenuous. They may have to be in "rebuild" mode for a while after though, perhaps cutting less profitable routes. I'd be surprised if they go under though.

Back