News   Jul 02, 2024
 550     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 2K     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 670     0 

Toronto Bike Share

Bikeshare Toronto has just activated its 810th Dock.

That latest add-on the network is Bathurst/Housey.

The focus lately has been to add docks just west of the core, mostly between Spadina and just west of Bathurst.

I can confirm it is possible to load a bike onto the "behind" rack even if blocked by the "front" rack. Though it is quite heavy and tricky.

1719939610612.png

I wonder if we’ll also be getting these new docks considering NYC also use PBSC/Lyft.

If we do I hope we keep the 3 digit code unlock and have a more robust locking mechanism than what we currently have.

Also noticed a lot of docks with fully rusted bases, but short of changing the materials or lowering our salt usage I guess it’ll just be accepted wear and tear.

Reactions: max
If we do I hope we keep the 3 digit code unlock and have a more robust locking mechanism than what we currently have.
From that photo it looks like the the docks have NFC so in situations where you'd request the code with your phone you would do a tap instead.

The only other case I've used the unlock codes was when interacting with the stations screens on 1 day rentals in Montreal. I can see them wanting to get out of maintaining those screens and moving casual users entirely to the app. The last time I tried to use a screen to request my extra 15 minutes due to a full dock, it was busted.

I've been waiting for a station to open up closer to me since moving into the area. Looking at the 4-Year Growth Plan published in September 2022, a few stations nearby are indicated for opening in 2024. Does anyone know how closely Bike Share follows its growth plan? Are stations opened up all throughout the year or during specific seasons? I'm hoping 2024 means I'll be able to ride this summer season without travelling far to another station.

. Does anyone know how closely Bike Share follows its growth plan?

Somewhat. Most areas indicated have seen expansions in earlier years, with some advanced by one year, but it isn't 100% rigorous.

Are stations opened up all throughout the year or during specific seasons? I'm hoping 2024 means I'll be able to ride this summer season without travelling far to another station.

Generally speaking stations are not opened in winter in any significant numbers, though a few did last year.

The goal had been to deliver this year's expansion by Canada Day, which they are clearly not on pace to do, but expansion is underway, 10 docks were added in June, and 2 so far this month.

They rarely add stations on weekends, they usually add 2 or 3 per day, 2-3 days per week when in expansion mode.

Somewhat. Most areas indicated have seen expansions in earlier years, with some advanced by one year, but it isn't 100% rigorous.

Generally speaking stations are not opened in winter in any significant numbers, though a few did last year.

The goal had been to deliver this year's expansion by Canada Day, which they are clearly not on pace to do, but expansion is underway, 10 docks were added in June, and 2 so far this month.

They rarely add stations on weekends, they usually add 2 or 3 per day, 2-3 days per week when in expansion mode.
Thanks a lot, sounds like there's still hope for this year!

If I'm not mistaken, the new app will not give you a code to unlock a bike.
1719961927593.png

So if the sticker is scratched off, you have to use a membership card?

View attachment 577043

I wonder if we’ll also be getting these new docks considering NYC also use PBSC/Lyft.

Also noticed a lot of docks with fully rusted bases, but short of changing the materials or lowering our salt usage I guess it’ll just be accepted wear and tear.

New docking stations would be great. I'm so frustrated by the existing ones and some long outstanding docs that haven't been repaired. Some key locations as well.

Back