News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 631     0 

Toronto Bike Share

1660159117060.png

Four meter wide protected (and raised) bike paths on both sides please? I mean look how wide this thing is. (This would mean 2 meter wide in both directions, on both sides.)

View attachment 419374

Four meter wide protected (and raised) bike paths on both sides please? I mean look how wide this thing is. (This would mean 2 meter wide in both directions, on both sides.)

Lets try to keep the right topic, in the right thread. Cycle tracks go in this thread (normally):

PS, This section of Yonge IS getting cycle tracks, and the road will lose 2 car lanes (one each way) for that and nice new streetscaping. That'll happen in 2026 or so.

Because its associated with streetscape work, and a major project, it actually has its own thread, the last post of which has some renders:

Last edited:
I'm really excited to hear that Bike Share will be expanding to the Island in the coming year(s)!

One question about e-bikes - is it possible to turn off the pedal assist and have it function like a normal bike? As joyous it is to ride an e-bike, I do prefer the exercise in most circumstances.

Also - the dock inside Exhibition grounds on Princess Blvd between Nova Scotia Ave & Newfoundland Rd (across from Enercare Centre) has been moved to Lake Shore & Ontario Place Blvd to make way for the CNE midway. There are now two docks at this location.

I'm really excited to hear that Bike Share will be expanding to the Island in the coming year(s)!

One question about e-bikes - is it possible to turn off the pedal assist and have it function like a normal bike? As joyous it is to ride an e-bike, I do prefer the exercise in most circumstances.

Also - the dock inside Exhibition grounds on Princess Blvd between Nova Scotia Ave & Newfoundland Rd (across from Enercare Centre) has been moved to Lake Shore & Ontario Place Blvd to make way for the CNE midway. There are now two docks at this location.
yes push the power button
I didn't realize the newest ebikes have a LED screen with a speedometer. I'm liking this new interface:

View attachment 418203

Bringing Bikeshare to Toronto Island would be... interesting.
The demand would be very high they could easily need 50-100 bikes and even more docks.

The other issue is people do bring them on the ferry from the mainland. This could lead to stations being full on the islands. 15 extra minutes is not enough time to wait in line for the ferry and get to the mainland.

Also limited options for crews to get to the island.

Bringing Bikeshare to Toronto Island would be... interesting.
The demand would be very high they could easily need 50-100 bikes and even more docks.

The other issue is people do bring them on the ferry from the mainland. This could lead to stations being full on the islands. 15 extra minutes is not enough time to wait in line for the ferry and get to the mainland.

Also limited options for crews to get to the island.
The bike share bikes should probably be banned from the ferry and the loading area at the docks should have ample signage to indicate the bikeshares aren't to be brought on board. I don't expect staff to enforce any such ban so if it still becomes a problem, the behaviour should be disincentived with a penalty fee.

Going off track here, but as a cyclist I get really pissed when I'm on the subway and see people bringing their ebikes in. Just ride the damn thing.

Reactions: PL1
Toronto's unlimited annual membership pricing is relatively unique for bike share systems from what I've seen. I was using Chicago's system just a few weeks ago when I was there and they, like Hamilton, charge a per minute rate. Annual memberships simply make it a lower rate, and E-scooters and E-bikes (which all use the same station docks that Toronto has) are a more expensive rate to use. From what I remember pedal bikes were half the rate of the E-bikes.

Personally I enjoy Toronto's unlimited model.
👀 Survey that came via email today from Bike Share...one of the Qs...

bike share survey Q.png

👀 Survey that came via email today from Bike Share

Bike Share Toronto encourages all members of the public to fill that survey in. You can view the entire survey via this link.

Regarding your screenshot:

Yes, they'll indeed probably eventually start charging extra money for e-bikes. I'm not aware of any other bike-share system in the world which doesn't charge extra money for e-bikes. The bikes themselves are more expensive. Also, the battery needs to be replaced, maybe once every few years or so.

I strongly suspect that an e-bike surcharge may be implemented after the current rate review. This rate review should be finished by January '23. (PDF source.)

A new Bike Share Toronto thread, over at RedFlagDeals.com

I've just started a brand-new Bike Share Toronto thread in one of the RedFlagDeals.com discussion forums. The first post includes some general information about the system. Among other things, it explains how to return a bike without slamming it into the dock and stressing the dock's bumper.

The new thread is meant to complement this one, not to replace it. More threads on more forums means more people learning more about the system, and (eventually) more new system users.

You may view the new thread now, if you wish.

Back